Boost and EGT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to baseballguy
Boost and EGT

I installed both a boost gauge and an EGT gauge over the weekend. I want to make sure that the readings are correct:

Boost: Peaks around 25-27 psi
EGT: Highway driving = 800-900 degrees
WOT = 1050 degrees.

Do these numbers sound right?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
same as mine stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 209
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
I installed both a boost gauge and an EGT gauge over the weekend. I want to make sure that the readings are correct:

Boost: Peaks around 25-27 psi
EGT: Highway driving = 800-900 degrees
WOT = 1050 degrees.

Do these numbers sound right?

Thanks!!
There are A LOT of variables that come into play like your 37"s but those numbers seem pretty average! Of course that will change with your new tunes that are "on the way".

Great to see people doing it the right way, gauges intake and exhaust, watch what is happening than add the power and see the changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to baseballguy
"on the way" means that they are purchased, I am just waiting for it to come in the mail... hopefully today. But not looking so... =(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belle Chasse
Posts: 3,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
where is your EGT probe located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to baseballguy
right were autometer suggested, i drilled and tapped into the exhaust manafold. The only thing that i would do different, (that i am changing this weekend) is drilling and tapping for the boost line into the intake manafold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belle Chasse
Posts: 3,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
right were autometer suggested, i drilled and tapped into the exhaust manafold.
in that case,...with 37's....your highway temps are just a tiny bit high(nothing to worry about)....but your WOT are reallllllll low......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to baseballguy
well now that I have the SCT tuner finally installed, (awesome by the way!!) I took it out to do a little test drive. I ended up getting street, extreme street, and extreme race. I first installed extreme street, fired it up and waited for it to get nice and warm before i started the first test drive.

Awesome power, but it blows out some black smoke. I heard that Eric's tunes usually doesnt blow out black smoke. I want to make sure that everything was ok.

Second, i was at a roll, about 20mph, hit it, and at WOT, the EGT was at about 1200 and climbing. I dont know what it would have topped out at. Once it hit 1200 degrees i was off it. I wanted to come back here and make sure that the temps arent too high.

Please someone help!!

=)

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
well now that I have the SCT tuner finally installed, (awesome by the way!!) I took it out to do a little test drive. I ended up getting street, extreme street, and extreme race. I first installed extreme street, fired it up and waited for it to get nice and warm before i started the first test drive.

Awesome power, but it blows out some black smoke. I heard that Eric's tunes usually doesnt blow out black smoke. I want to make sure that everything was ok.

Second, i was at a roll, about 20mph, hit it, and at WOT, the EGT was at about 1200 and climbing. I dont know what it would have topped out at. Once it hit 1200 degrees i was off it. I wanted to come back here and make sure that the temps arent too high.

Please someone help!!

=)

Thanks!!
IIRC 1250 is as high as you want to go for very long, but short bursts up to 1400 are ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to baseballguy
so 1250 is ok? or is it normal? and whats not very long?

I plan on going to the track on wednesday, so I want to make sure that i am not going to blow things up. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors