Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

performance intake manifold

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SCjake 
#1 ·
I have found the brands cfm, bd diesel, sinister, and s&b. I believe these on a dodge they call an intake horn. Is the stock 6.0 intake 90 restrictive? I'm wanting to make my engine breath easier and faster.

#3 ·
Yep, the restriction is the intake manifold and ports of the heads. The aftermarket elbows are good for bling and drilled/tapped ports, but even then you can drill/tap the stock elbow for ports.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
Consider this: what's the point of a bigger CAC pipe or elbow if it's going into the same sized hole in the intake manifold? It's like putting a 750 Holley on top of your old cast iron intake manifold. Sure it looks cool, but it's not doing anything else.

I bought a used Banks technicooler with plumbing and elbow. Nope, didn't do squat. Since I don't tow much, I have no real data there. But daily driving, yeah, 500 bucks lighter is all I got out of it.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody

#7 ·
I'm running a no limit cac pipe and like it a lot. I did other mods at the same time so I'm not sure if it made a difference or not. But it looks really good.

Reactions: ODAWG714
#9 ·
So let me break down something for.most people who say the elbows.don't do much. Your mainly.correct. all the little s&b, cfm etc... style.that utilize the factory CAC cold pipe suck. Complete waste of.money. however the no limit is a great product because it flows the air in a less.restrictive manor, as being its not a sharp 90 degree bend. Where as the no limit is a swept 90 degree over a bigger span creating more velocity an proper unrestrictive flow. But that's just me. I don't work for no limit, I don't push their product, I don't make.commission, I just have great results with the no limit and would justify the money

Reactions: Karls03
#10 ·
No limit would have to be the exception for the simple fact that they clean up the bends and such. The Banks tubing looks just like the OEM, just larger diameter.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody

Reactions: SCjake
#11 ·
Even with the no limit elbow, the restriction is the intake manifold and head ports.

Even with the no limit having smoother tubing radius, the restriction in CFM air flow is the intake manifold (bolt posts and ports) and ports in the head.

Now if you want $400+ in bling, then to for it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
I have a banks intercooler so I really wanted to go back to a factory size cac for throttle response. That was one reason for the no limit purchase for me as well.

#13 ·
Just about any ported intake manifold (that removes the bolt posts) will increase throttle response of the motor and increase turbo response.

Did you by change try using stock CAC pipes with new adapter boots?? I know Adrian got the banks intercooler, lost the response you're talking about, but when he put his stock CAC tubes back on, the throttle response came back. Could be something worth looking into.

#14 ·
Nates correct. Your probably losing "thermal energy an velocity" I'm no physisist or engineer but I do know a little. I mean if your pushing compounds an 60+psi it might be beneficial but not in your current form... Id venture out an say stay clear of banks an run a stock or different CAC that utilizes stock size tubing an boots.

But yes, since we are talking air restrictions in general the intake manifold down right sucks. Get yourself a ported manifold an call it a day. Look up some post of the inside of a stock manifold... its horrendous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.