Flowing mass air - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flowing mass air

Its time to over haul my truck. Im going to e out of the country for a wile and its the perfect time to get my buddy to rip the motor apart and get all the defects out and do some up grades. Figured i would focus on getting the most air in and out of the motor and I dont want to talk about turbos right now im talking maybe ported and polished heads, ported intake and re-stepped valves, plus BD exhaust manifolds and after market Y-pipes what are yall suggestions? and what kind of cam could i use or is the stock one as good as it gets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 PM
information regurgitator

In for this one..
Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I recommend porting the heads and manifolds like you plan to. I really don't think there is much to be gained with larger valves, however, I don't have any real world data to back up that opinion. As far as the cam goes, I would highly recommend running a cam, at least a mild one. Again, there is really no info on how much of a difference the cam can make, since doing back to back testing really isn't feasible. Not many people just change a cam, they usually do something else while they are in there.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Im not re sizing the Valves. The 3 steps (changing the valve angle) I know it works on Gas motors and figured it would work too cause moving air should be universal. But I have to watch swirl too I don't want to mess up the swirl characteristics. And with most cams they recommend fly cutting the pistons for valve clearance does any one have experience with any of these?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think what's tough with many of the previous attempts at head porting is creating and maintaining some sort of method of increasing velocity of the air as it goes from the manifold to the intake valves and then the cylinder as that will most certainly keep that aforementioned "swirl". I think a lot of previous attempts ended up making the flow of air more turbulent and actually disrupting the flow pattern and ended up causing mixed results about head porting in general. I believe it is safe to say that whatever porting attempts are made, whether they be CNC or hand porting, that (like injectors) the heads be flow benched to confirm that the changes actually have a positive effect on airflow through the head.

Like Adam, I also recommend a cam, and I also recommend that a mild cam be used. I say this for two reasons. First and foremost, the benefits of a cam are not yet fully proven. I do believe that an over whelming amount of positive reports of folks with a cam lead me to believe that there is a benefit to putting one in the motor and allow it to perform better (maybe not so much in peak power making ability but almost definitely in the driveability and lower to mid rpm range). The second reason I don't recommend anything more than a mild cam is because I don't like cutting my pistons. Not only does it potentially weaken them but it most definitely lowers the compression ratio of a motor and if there is one thing that contributes to a higher efficiency of combustion in a diesel motor it is the compression ratio of the motor and higher is better. So it doesn't make sense to me to cut valve reliefs that lower compression and remove efficiency in the combustion of the air that I'm bringing in just so I can improve the efficiency with which the air is brought into the motor.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Colts stage 1 and 2 cams they say you can get away with not fly cutting the valves.... And there should be gains from that and port work... The engines were designed heavily with emissions in mind. Also you could consider solid roller lifters while you're in there. I have evidence to support the fact that our hydrualic lifters eat up as much as 20-30% of our already abysmal lift and duration. Trouble is you have to be able to adjust them... Enter the harland sharp rocker arms... But here 2500 bucks. If I can get 3-4 people together interested I can get them for about 1700 per set. Theyre shaft mounted adjustable rocker arms... And they're not held together with a plastic clip like stock lol. If I was the head engineer at navistar and someone brought me the 6.0 rocker arms and said... "here it is...all done, ready for production"... I'd say "you're fired... Get out" lol.

The valve angles are 30* intake and 37.5* exhaust... 6.4's have the same size intake valves but the angle on their itakes is 37.5*. The 6.4 exhaust valves drop in to a 6.4 head with minor machining on the tip (which has to be done anyway to put valve height in the appropriate range... 6.4's valves in a 6.0 head just need a little more taken off the tip as theyre longer). Sometimes people will use a 30* angle, even in the gas world, because it tends to help low lift airflow. Fwiw, duramax motor are 45* intake and exhaust, and their intake valves are smaller than 6.0, but theyre exhaust valves are 3mm bigger than 6.0.

I'm working with a local airflow expert on developing a port work profile for these motors... He's kinda taking longer than I had hoped, so I have began exploring other options just in the mean time. RCD claims a 27% airflow increase with their cnc porting program, 6.4 exhaust valves and their exhaust manifolds. I can get the porting done there for 1000 bucks, but I gotta send them cleaned bare metal heads... Which is no problem, but shipping both ways adds up. If I can get a few people interested I can ship the heads on a pallet and get the price down some if we did a few sets at a time. I haven't used rcd's port work yet... So I have no idea on the validity of their claims. Their valve springs are 500 bucks... And a good investment if you seek more than 40psi boost/back pressure.

I want to be very very crystal clear, im not associated with rcd at all, my name is jared... And there's a jared there that posts on the army all the time, but we are not one and the same. I'm not pushing their products, just throwing what ive found out there. Fwiw elites valve springs are now 500 as well.

There's lots of issues with these heads... Read through the link in my sig, I think it's also a sticky in the general 6.0 section, but it outlines the process of what I would deem necessary for a quality rebuild - hardened seats, replace worn guides, 3 angle valve job, milled, resetting valve height... Which we set to specs we've measured to give proper lifter preload... They had way too much lifter preload from the factory. You woukdnt want to sink thousands of dollars into port work into a set of heads that'll leak coolant or fuel due to a crack. Anyway good luck with your build, let us know how it works out.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

hey gearhead can you shoot me an email im interested in more information. RJWILCOXTX@GMAIL.com. and every colt cam ive seen suggests fly cutting the pistons which will jack the swirl way up so im trying to say away from that. and no need for solid lifters it isn't a full blown race truck and im not going for extreme numbers. im shooting for 600-700rwhp. so the more air I get in and out the more fuel I can add which means more power, and I dont want my truck "rolling coal" as they say, to me its tacky on the street in a daily driver and it doesn't bode well with the hippy dippy types lol. and whats your input on the Auroara3000 or 4000 for my turbo?anything better with good street ability, quick spool and wide rpm band?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I know Sinister just recently came out with some very nice custom exhaust manifolds and y pipes, for extra you can have them ceramic coated. I know there is another thrad already about them somewhere with some usefull information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.