Programmer without engine modifications - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Programmer without engine modifications

This topic has been beaten but I could not find a direct answer. I have a fairly new to me 06 F250 with 75,000 miles and I am curious about programmers. Before buying, I read all the horror stories about the 6.0 but it seems that alot of the problems were due to improper maintenance and the use of extreme engine programmers. While the truck does pull my 5th wheel well, I thought a programmer would improve the experience. In addition, I have read that programmers can improve MPG. Can I safely use an SCT programmer without "bulletproofing" the engine? I am an older guy and don't race or light up the tires anymore but I would like to improve the performance but not at the expense of costly upgrades or repairs. Any thoughts. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, you will be fine
Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

You should be fine
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

You would be like most of the 6.0 owners that just want that little bit extra. I ran my last truck for years with just a SCT and a few tunes with zero issues. Generally speaking, the heavier the load, the more stock the tune.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

I think its a gamble and heres why:

I love my 6.0 and im on my 3rd one after some hard learning experiences and I would run stock programming while towing and like my tow+50hp tune for DD, and tried my 150hp tune and I never saw a mpg increase and im extreamly OCD about hand calculating.

tons of people run a programmer with 0 issues for like of the truck and then there are some that run into problems related and non-related.

change the fluids and use oem filters and don't run a race tune you should be fine in my opinion. but when you put a higher horsepower tune your running into risky territory.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that the tuner will not put additional stress on the engine and lead to problems. I used to tow my 5th wheel with a 08 Silverado 2500 z71 gas and I did not like the constant shifting and high RPM's, even here in flat Florida. Even worse was the 8 MPG.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that the tuner will not put additional stress on the engine and lead to problems. I used to tow my 5th wheel with a 08 Silverado 2500 z71 gas and I did not like the constant shifting and high RPM's, even here in flat Florida. Even worse was the 8 MPG.
Actually it will stress the engine, just not that much depending on tune. Shifting and RPM is more to deal with load. Most engines run better at higher RPM pulling a load, including the mighty 6.0, but diesels will always tow way better than most gassers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.