does bulletproof diesel ever fail???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does bulletproof diesel ever fail????

pretty sure I need a new ficm and im looking at bpd or swamps so my question is has anyone ever heard of a bpd ficm failure? im looking at the 4phase. im not sold on the 6 phase except for the redundant circuits. next question is there any real plus to 53volts or 58volts. everyone talks about them and some ppl swear against the higher volts just want to know is there any real information on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've only heard of one BPD FICM failure which was taken care of by BPD very quickly. I have the six phase and set it to 58 volts and the difference between that and 48 volts is night and day for me big time. Much fast starts, quieter idle, smother idle, fast seat of the pants performance, etc. Some guys say high voltage will shorten the injector solenoid life but I know a few guys that have been running 58 volts for several years. At work the instrument department commonly boosts the voltage up on solenoids to make them respond faster and they've been doing that for decades so I can't see how our injector solenoids would be any different. Talking to them about solenoids with higher voltage they said that they actually replace them less frequently then stock voltage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I agree, because of the design in the injector soleniod I would say that 58 absolutly does NOT harm anything but rather improve, cold start up, a little more mpg (I seen just under .75 mpg, but it's still an improvement) and improved throttle response.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They have had a couple that I am aware of but they addressed them quickly with their customers and fixed the root cause of the issue with their supplier. AND they notified their customers who had received the potentially faulty FICM's as soon as they found out about the issue to take care of them... the BEST service, hands down! It's not just about what happens to earn your sale, it's their moral character to take care of you even after they have received your money. It's a RELATIONSHIP which is mutually beneficial for both parties.

I apologize for getting up on my soap box, but they are the real deal!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
pretty sure I need a new ficm and im looking at bpd or swamps so my question is has anyone ever heard of a bpd ficm failure? im looking at the 4phase. im not sold on the 6 phase except for the redundant circuits. next question is there any real plus to 53volts or 58volts. everyone talks about them and some ppl swear against the higher volts just want to know is there any real information on it?
Timely thread. I just installed a 6 phase BPD FICM yesterday afternoon. Set it at 53v so I don't get a P0611 code (I live in a diesel smog state). After comparing the OEM and BPD power supply sides of the FICM - THERE IS NO COMPARISON! The BPD unit is an engineering marvel. The OEM unit is a hunk of crap. Mine was a 2 year old half shell replaced under warranty. It was still working, though I noticed it spending more time lately at 47v than at 48v (so it still should have been good), but had some rough idle when cold. The OEM power supply smelled burnt, even though no obvious signs of scorching were observed.

I now have every confidence that I won't ever have to worry about my FICM again.
Sentinel@BPD likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks everyone this is what I wanted to hear. I really dont wanna spend the 700 for the 6 phase but I might be sold on it.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 AM

I have one of prototype 6 phase units. They released 3 of them to the public after beta testing. I have had it in my truck for 1.5yrs. I clipped the wire to set mine to 53V.

Zero issues. Fast cold starts, snappy throttle response. Everything its hyped up to be.

My only problem is that the darn thing looks so nice, and its hidden where no one can see it!!!!!!! Bling should be front in center in an engine compartment.

Best part about it, I never have to worry about being stuck on the side of the road from a FICM fail. I had 3 oem Ford units crap out on me. One of them ate a couple injectors in the process.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM

I have it narrowed down to 4 or 6 phase bpd ficm just not sure
Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Six phase is just more redundant. Guess it depends on how good the rest of your truck is. Are your batteries good, is your alternator putting out what your truck needs. Would suck to buy a new FICM and have it fried because your electrical system can barely power your headlights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM

I have a 185 output alt. Batteries check fine and will be replaced this year because they are getting old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.