SCT installed - Wow! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT installed - Wow!

I installed my new SCT SF3...I can't believe the difference. Although I don't have any custom tunes, I installed the canned "street tune". After installing that one I havent even bothered to try the other canned tunes. My shifting is slightly hard when I really get on it but fine during normal driving.
What is the difference with the custom tunes VS the canned tunes? If I'm already happy with the canned tunes what can I expect with the custom tunes? My F350 work truck weights around 5 tons but moves like my Z28 camaro does! I can't smoke my tires but I guess thats due to my brand new tires and 10,000lbs of weight. What would be a good custom tune for everyday driving with the ability to get up and go when needed? I don't have any guages to monitor EGT's so I don't want to go crazy. What are the Spartan tunes? Also, are tunes shareable? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should get gauges
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
what he said ^^^^....oh and welcome to the good life btw
Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you plan on hitting it hard, then get gauges for sure.

But if your not going to get on it hard any linger than say, 20-30 sec. at a time you should not have a problem.

This has been told to me by several reputable tuners.

Gauges will not do anything but give you an indication of what is going on, in other words they will not shut your truck off when you reach dangerous levels.

I'm not saying to NOT get gauges, I'm just saying if you don't have them it's not the end of the world or it's no reason to not run a tuner and have SOME fun.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewill65 View Post
I installed my new SCT SF3...I can't believe the difference. Although I don't have any custom tunes, I installed the canned "street tune". After installing that one I havent even bothered to try the other canned tunes. My shifting is slightly hard when I really get on it but fine during normal driving.
What is the difference with the custom tunes VS the canned tunes? If I'm already happy with the canned tunes what can I expect with the custom tunes? My F350 work truck weights around 5 tons but moves like my Z28 camaro does! I can't smoke my tires but I guess thats due to my brand new tires and 10,000lbs of weight. What would be a good custom tune for everyday driving with the ability to get up and go when needed? I don't have any guages to monitor EGT's so I don't want to go crazy. What are the Spartan tunes? Also, are tunes shareable? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
first off... welcome to the Org....

running any kind of tuner with out gauges is plain dumb... a 300 dollar set of gauges could mean the diff of going too far and blowing your engine....

diff between canned tunes and custom is night and day.... their is no real way to explain it... you have to feel it to know how much of a diff their is.... plus your trans will love you...

when you go custom tunes go with Eric at innovative...

-Raul
Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

THANKS ALL...I don't get on it for more than a few seconds at a time, but will look into guages and possibly a custome tune. I'm going to email Eric and see what he recommends. Thanks to SCT I have the fastest emergency vehicle out there!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
If you plan on hitting it hard, then get gauges for sure.

But if your not going to get on it hard any linger than say, 20-30 sec. at a time you should not have a problem.

This has been told to me by several reputable tuners.

Gauges will not do anything but give you an indication of what is going on, in other words they will not shut your truck off when you reach dangerous levels.

I'm not saying to NOT get gauges, I'm just saying if you don't have them it's not the end of the world or it's no reason to not run a tuner and have SOME fun.
You are right. But if you realy wanna have some fun dont you think it is nice to know how much fun you can have. I for one dont have $ to take that chance. With out monitoring I would lift my hood after laying some rubber. I would be paranoid. And that would make for no fun.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Raging Lunatic

How much fun are you talking about? I mean if you can't get a "kill" in 20 sec or so then I can't imagine what you would be doing.

I take most vettes, stangs, and of course ricers in 10-15 sec.

But seroiuosly what do you do that you're hammering it for more than 20-30 seconds?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 AM

I dont have gauges and have been running the SCT for 2000 miles now, although the most Ive ever got into my truck was 6 seconds WOT. Just be careful until you get the Extra $300.00 bucks to get gauges. If I tow heavy I usually return to stock for the duration because I cant monitor my EGT's, However I could probably still mess it up stock. I dont necessarily think its dumb not to have them with a tuner.....More Risky, ofcourse. SOme of these tunes will lower your EGT's at cruising speeds vs Stock
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Raging Lunatic

I have been running either Spartan's Hybred Race or ID's Extreme Race for 25k miles with no problems.

I am by no means suggesting not to run gauges, I'm only saying if you drive responsibly then you should be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.