SCT Livewire - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Livewire

I found a SCT Livewire Ts forsale for cheap. The question I have is, when he unplugs it from his truck does the tunes stay on it. My truck is down and the injectors getting rebuilt so testing on my truck before I buy it is out of the question. He says it has 1 custome tune from Eric. Any advice is appreciated. Need to know ASAP.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SCT Livewire

Make sure he returns his truck back to stock tune. If he leaves in ANY aftermarket tune from a SCT, the SCT becomes "locked" to his truck. Make sure it had "unlocks left", the SCT has 5 "unlocks", every time the SCT is tuned to a different truck/car VIN, it uses a "unlock".

It's wise NOT to use his custom tunes.

You can use any Ford truck or car that is CAN supported to check the SCT device for "unlocks left" and if it's "unlocked.

Here is some reading material on buying a used SCT device.
What to look for when buying used SCT for 6.0

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume all of this information applies to the livewire , 3015 etc. If the previous owner
did not return to stock and you connected to your truck , you would only loose 1 unlock
correct ?
I also purchased a 3015 from a member on here . It"s a "Gearhead (Matt )" 3015 that
holds 10 custom tunes (it's supposed to be a non race 6.4 version that does not have
dpf delete etc.) . It has 3 6.4 custom tunes on it , and 5 unlocks left and is unmarried .
We purchased it to use on a 6.0 and don't no where to go from here .
I'm afraid to actually hook it to the truck for fear of it never starting again .
Sorry for the hi jack OP , thought maybe we could learn together
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP MACHINE View Post
I assume all of this information applies to the livewire , 3015 etc. If the previous owner
did not return to stock and you connected to your truck , you would only loose 1 unlock
correct ?
I also purchased a 3015 from a member on here . It"s a "Gearhead (Matt )" 3015 that
holds 10 custom tunes (it's supposed to be a non race 6.4 version that does not have
dpf delete etc.) . It has 3 6.4 custom tunes on it , and 5 unlocks left and is unmarried .
We purchased it to use on a 6.0 and don't no where to go from here .
I'm afraid to actually hook it to the truck for fear of it never starting again .
Sorry for the hi jack OP , thought maybe we could learn together

You only use up a "unlock" when you go to tune the truck/car. Every time you load a tune in a different truck/car the SCT recognizes a new VIN. The SCT only stores one VIN at a time. So if you own a 6.0 and a mustang, and try to tune them, you will use up the 5 unlocks between both vehicles after 5 attempts. You can check for codes,monitor, and look at "unlock/married" status as many times as you want with as many vehicles as you want.

SCT says that the 6.4 uses different Firmware and I believe different hardware than the 6.0. You can read this right from SCT on post #43 and #44 in this thread.
SCT device questions and answers!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.