Exhaust advice/MPG questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust advice/MPG questions

Ok so I just picked up a 2006 F250 Fx4 lariat CC. It has the EGR deleted, and a magnaflow exhaust. So far I'm getting high 12s to low 14s in gas mileage. I've read some of the threads on here, but I didn't know if anyone could help me figure out specifically how to get better mileage. I'm not shooting for 20 although I wouldn't turn it down. I was hoping maybe 16 as an average.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much highway/city driving are you doing?
I am getting around 16mpg average but I run about a 60% hwy/40% city.
Are you in a colder climate where winter fuel will fudge any chance of getting good mileage?
Are you running stock tires? What is you gear ratio?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How about some specifics on the truck. Is it lifted? Got bigger tires? Those will hurt your mileage. That's all I have ever gotten with my truck. I don't have a clue how these guys are claiming higher mileage, but then I have a lifted crew cab long bed with 35's, and it seems to want to run at 80 mph on the highway.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM

Sorry you guys I should've been more specific. I just got this truck recently. It is not lifted but it is leveled. I am fairly certain it has 3.73 gears. I live in oklahoma so it is cold here right now, yes haha. The tires should be the stock size. It has a magnaflow exhaust. My highway/city driving is about 65-70/35-30 respectively. The tires appear to be street tires as well, not all terrain.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Also, how do you guys feel about an AFE drop in filter?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run just at or below 65 mph, have 3.55 gears with a raised roof van.
It run the xtreme street tune, 155 injectors, studded and a powermax.
In my experience I have found that driving style will lose or gain you 2-3 mpg.
Go with a larger intake, do the blue spring mod, put on an aftermarket FASS or airdog.
But most importantly, drive nice!!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM

I've been driving nice and getting 13.3 combined city/highway.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You're going to see poor milage in the Winter. That's the way it it. They add Kero to the Diesel to prevent jelling, and that has the side effect of causing the truck to get worse milage. Also if you're like me, you let her idle a little in the morning to warm up. That burns fuel. If the Idle bumps up when sitting there, that burns more fuel too. If you have to use the 4WD, that's not all that fuel efficient either. All these things, and the ones other's have mentioned, will cause your milage to be poor. You should see an improvement in the Spring. My 7.3L gets 20% better in the warmer months.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselManor View Post
You're going to see poor milage in the Winter. That's the way it it. They add Kero to the Diesel to prevent jelling, and that has the side effect of causing the truck to get worse milage. Also if you're like me, you let her idle a little in the morning to warm up. That burns fuel. If the Idle bumps up when sitting there, that burns more fuel too. If you have to use the 4WD, that's not all that fuel efficient either. All these things, and the ones other's have mentioned, will cause your milage to be poor. You should see an improvement in the Spring. My 7.3L gets 20% better in the warmer months.
Thanks DieselManor.

I really don't mean to be ignorant. I am honestly here to learn as much as I can, and I respect and listen to everything I am told. I'm trying to do as much research as I can. Sadly my long term experience has been with gas engines, very little with diesels. I will have to look into the springs. They don't look like they are too much of a pain to install. I did get my SCT Livewire today, and it has jumped my mpgs up about a solid 1-2 mpg when my foot is out of it.

I'd like to thank all of you for the information, help, and advice. I'm truly grateful.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Where is the best place to get the blue spring kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.