Manual Transmission tunes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Transmission tunes?

i have an 03 6.0 PSD. It has the ZF6 6-speed transmission. Just installed a 5" straight pipe. but that is it for mods. Im looking at buying a tuner and wondering which one would benefit me the most. My truck does not have head studs and I do not want to blow gaskets. I understand that its a risk to run a tune without them but would be okay to put a mild tune? if so, who should i go through, and what ype of tune. Just looking for a little bit more horsepower and better MPG's. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 06 (Manual Trans) without studs and have been running the FICM Atlas 40 tune from.
Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER!
Cuts the turbo lag significantly,
Adds a few more horses
MPG, don't expect much

I think it is pretty headbolt safe.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You cant guarantee any tune is going to be safe for your stock head bolts but you can get a very mild tune that should be safe for a while. I ran a pretty hot tune for 20k miles before my stock gaskets went. Do you have an egr delete?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

metal mulisha.. heard the EGR cooler in the 03 was actually designed good and doesnt need to be deleted. i was thinking on going with SCT and they have the EGR shut off switch... Should i still delete? or will this shut off switch help.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokindavis View Post
metal mulisha.. heard the EGR cooler in the 03 was actually designed good and doesnt need to be deleted. i was thinking on going with SCT and they have the EGR shut off switch... Should i still delete? or will this shut off switch help.
I would delete it because it can still cause problems even if it's turned off
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

and jungleman.. the Atlas 40 is just your FICM that you send in for recalibration for $150 or so right?
Old 02-03-2014, 11:06 AM

I have an SCT with some tunes from what was DJs way back when...now Quicktricks.

I have run the tuner for the better part of about 50K miles with the engine all stock. I finally did have the truck bullet proofed a few months ago after the EGR cooler let go. The head gaskets looked like they were on the way out too, but had not yet gone.

Back to the topic...I have three tunes...a tow, a street, and the loony. The tow is a good tune...I do run it when I have the trailer on. It is more power, you will notice the differance.

The looney is fun, but I'm gonna tell you that I can't shift it fast enough. And it can be a handfull if either you aren't ready for it or the road is wet, snow, or ice. I don't let the wife drive it unless I put the tow tune on it.

As for the MPGs...well, don't get your hopes up too much. It will help some, but I didn't notice much improvement honestly...1-2 MAYBE...and that is if I baby it.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is the FICM tune only. You can get them to mail you the programer and do it yourself, or if you need a FICM repair you can have it done then. Just make sure you follow the directions they give you with it.

I have an EGR delete and an SCT tuner. I don't use the SCT to tune (just to turn off the EGR so the engine light isn't on) because I am afraid of HG failure, which may happen anyway.

Your head gaskets could fail without any tune, but the more tune and power you add the more chances of it happening (my opinion). I really only did the FICM atlas 40 tune to cut the turbo lag and maybe add some MPG. It does cut the lag. Don't expect much, if any, on the MPG gain.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dont run a very big tune or you'll regret it. FICM tune or maybe a tow tune TOPS. Anything else will lift heads and push gaskets, and destroy your egr cooler. Its just the way she goes..
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys i appreciate the input. all suggestions are needed when youre gettin ready to dump cash into your diesel. ill let you know what i go with and tell you how it works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.