Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Getting ready to pull the trigger....looking for a little re assurance

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  HunterJ 
#1 ·
I just started reading about diesel performance about a month ago. I was (still am a little) nervous about tearing up my truck or doing some kind of mod that I would regret. My orginal plan was to wait until tax return time and get some of the more expensive parts.

I cant take it any more. I keep reading about how happy everybody on here is with custom tunes from ID. Now I have got to get some.

After a few phone conversations and destroying Erics INBOX (sorry dude :doh:) I am going to place an order very very soon. (Just waiting on my cat delete install).

Please comment if you think this wont be a good UNIT for my ride....

SCT Livewire w/ custom ID tunes.

I plan to start small with something like an EcoPower tune and slowly work my way up. I dont want to jump right into the Xtreme stuff yet. I am sure I will want more power eventually....

Anybody NOT like their Livewire????

By the Way:

Thank you very much for the incredible service TED AND ERIC.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do you wanna work your way up i did my looney first and i have touched my tow and street yet. You'll love it and never look back at the other tunes. Just get the SCT X3 and some guages if you dont have them already.

Do you have studs yet?

#3 ·
no studs or gauges.

The Livewire will have the gauges and programming all in one

From what I have read here I will be fine with factory head bolts with low power.

I am not looking to race, Fuel Economy is my main goal. Having a little extra power is a great side effect.

#4 ·
The live wire is kinda big and bulky????:dunno: Most prefer the x2 or x3 with other guages for a cleaner look.... But either way your headed in the right direction:thumb:..... Your best mpgs will be with the xtreme tunz if you can keep that big heavy foot off of that little go peddle:woot::hehe:

#5 ·
I know Raul @ Stealth supposedly has a great deal going on with the SCT and gauges right now. Some folks have no issues with the Livewire but I also know there have been issues with it as well. It is has to stay plugged into the OBDII port all the time to be used as gauges. I think you would be much happier with the Xcal 2 or 3 and a set of gauges. That is just my opinion. This is not a change on the fly tuner so if all you are gonna do is leave it plugged in for gauges, why advertise it to be stolen? Just a thought. Please feel free to pm if you have questions. Good luck.

#6 ·
I just bought the x3 with gauges from raul... waiting at home for in installation... =)

#7 ·
would the stock boost and trannie temp gauge in my truck be sufficient?

All I would need would be a pyro gauge right?

What kind of issues has the Livewire produced?

Thanks for the input fellas.

#9 ·
The factory boost gauge is fine. You can get away with it if you want. The trans temp gauge is crap, though. If you're not planning on towing anything heavy, you don't absolutely need trans temp.

You can get a pyro gauge and a steering wheel pod for around $100 bucks. You should be fine with that if you're trying to save some money.

The Livewire had a lot of growing pains. It would do all kinds of strange things. They've updated the firmware a number of times, and I think they're pretty stable now. They're just so ugly, and the pyro probe does not come with them and is way too expensive. An X3 with gauges will actually be a little cheaper.

#10 · (Edited)
I ran the eco tune 1/2 a day its not much different from driving stock, I am running street and you will love it. Think about it, these trucks have their problems stock, so what do you have to lose ? I ran 11k untuned and had egr failure and turbo melt down . I drove it like I was driving miss daisey. I have 40k with banks, trucks was fine and now swithced to sct. I say go for it.

#11 ·
Yes you do want to jump into the extreme tunes right away. You just don't know it.

#12 ·
:hehe:I first loaded the Xtreme street from Eric. Awesome tune but not exactly what I was looking for. I then Loaded the Xtreme Race and that was the tune I was looking for. GReat daily drivers both of them. You should order the Xtreme package and there will be 0 need for the street tunes. Easy on the foot and its an awesome street tune, get a little heavy and its still an awesome street tune.....just on ALOT OF STEROIDS:hehe:

#13 ·
I'm in agreement with most sentiments here. Analog gauges and SCT xCal3 with Eric's tunes! :D They will bring a smile to your face like nothing else.

PS. Matt@Spartan also has tunes that some folks love, but I haven't run them yet.

Good luck in your decision!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.