The tribulations of 58v FICM and another thanks to Ed at FICM repair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The tribulations of 58v FICM and another thanks to Ed at FICM repair

Although I'm not a regular poster, I do read the forums regularly.

I have a rebuilt, 0-ringed, studded, motor with all the updates, etc. I'm the 2nd owner. I've been monitoring everything on the torque ap from Ian Hawkins and it's been helpful.

I was so used to seeing 48V FICM Main Power, clean starts, good mileage, that I started to neglect my normal monitoring of the FICM.

Over time, and as it got colder in the mid-west I started to notice a slightly rough idle on start and slightly worse mileage. It was a gradual reduction in performance and figured it was not an issue. In fact I figured it was just the cold.

Then the POLAR VORTEX came. It was -10 F that Monday morning on my way to work when the "thinkable" happened. The truck lost power just down the street from the house. Eventually it died. I parked it let it sit for a few minutes, and checked the codes on torque (611 and 282). Luckily, it started right back up and I drove it up the driveway and examined my readings in real time.

FICM Logic Power was 12.5ish. Main was down in the mid 30s. Yikes. I came back the next day and checked again with slightly worse results: Mid 20's on start, rough idle, etc.

I have new Interstates, and always leave a battery tender on it every day.

I knew it was the FICM and took it out when the weather warmed up. I also knew the original owner had a 58V mod, but I didn't know who did the work. After removal it was pretty obvious because it had their part number and company name on it. (It was a very reputable company in TN and that's all I'll say.)

I contacted this company and they told me it was done in 2011, and since I wasn't the original owner they would offer me 5% off their exchange price. It was only a 1 year warranty. Needless to say I passed and decided to send it to Ed based on the great reviews. I opted for the most premium package with the lifetime warranty.

I figured it would be a quick fix and I'd be back in business. Not the case.

Ed calls and after hours of work diagnosing, repairing, etc., when the unit was tested it wouldn't cut the mustard. He mentioned that many 58V unit are baked and black when they come in, but mine passed the "visual" inspection. Perplexed he spent even more time investigating. What started as a normal repair of a modified unit turned out to be hours of diagnosis to finally reveal the Logic and Power boards were still toast, but not black-burnt toast.

So now I start from scratch and out almost double what I expected. The FICM arrived yesterday and I got it on today. It fired right up in 20 F with a smooth idle that was familiar.
I took a snap of the FICM outputs just after start before the alternator comes on line.
FLP 11.5
FMP 50.0
FVP 11.5
V CM 11.3
(This was on 3 month old Interstates, kept on a charge, and before the alternator came on.)

After alternator contactor closed it read.
FLP 14.0
FMP 50.0
FVP 14.0
V CM 14.1
(Cranking the FMP was 49.5)

Works great. Problem solved.

The "B" side to the story is another well-known PS company had "flashed my FICM" with ATLAS 40 when the engine was rebuilt. It was on my invoice. Since this was my first 6.0 I had nothing else to compare it too? I was always happy with my great mileage and plenty of power. I drive like a grandpa so what do I know about the extra 100lb tq?

I'd explained to Ed the FICM had ATLAS and I wanted to maintain it. He sends an email stating I had the ARZ2AL11 tune instead. WTF? I promptly contacted PHP and the installer of the tune. My FICM must have been mixed up in the shuffle.

Based on Ed's reputation alone the installer regretted the situation and I've been "taken care" of.

My opinions on ATLAS 40? Worth the $150 for the mileage alone! I've never seen these kind of numbers with my city driving! I'll keep a log of my longer trips in the future. I'll never take advantage of the increased peak torque, but who knows?

Bottom line from the long story is:
I don't recommend 58V.
If they advertise they have less than 1% return on FICMs it's because the warranty period is too short to realize all of the eventual failures.

I recommend FICMrepair.com
I recommend ATLAS 40.

Thanks for reading.
HP MACHINE likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cambo61 For This Useful Post:
ATV PRO 11 (01-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice testimonial. Ed's customer service is absolutely top notch and on the same level as Ryan Casserly, Bulletproof Diesel, and Trucks Unlimited.

Glad he got you fixed up. I think you'll enjoy his product for a long time to come.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Bill at PHP was thrown the question by me ( about the value of the 58v ficm ) when he
was doing my rollback etc. He said that anytime he'd heard about one going down it
was disaster inside . Glad they got you fixed up .
There's nothing like a nice runnin' 6.0 in my mind !
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Glad you got fixed up! Been talking with Ed about my 58v modded OEM FCIM today... Looks like I am sending mine in as well... Thinking the Premium or Ultra with Atlas 40 as well. May do the trade in so I can avoid down time...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlaw View Post
Glad you got fixed up! Been talking with Ed about my 58v modded OEM FCIM today... Looks like I am sending mine in as well... Thinking the Premium or Ultra with Atlas 40 as well. May do the trade in so I can avoid down time...
What's the trade in??
Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM

From what I read on the site, for additional $50, he sends out the unit you want, then you send yours to him once you swap them out...

Maybe someone has done this?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Ohhhh Snap. I've had code P0611 and P1378 for awhile. Both FICM related
Swamps 58V FICM.
Better cold start issues since PHP's tune but still the codes and start issues.
I'm thinking It may be a good time to send the FICM into Ed and see what's what.
I will say, this is a fantastic testimonial!!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlaw View Post
From what I read on the site, for additional $50, he sends out the unit you want, then you send yours to him once you swap them out...

Maybe someone has done this?
I confirmed this with Ed, 50$ extra for trade in, plus a deposit until he receives your old ficm.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV PRO 11 View Post
Ohhhh Snap. I've had code P0611 and P1378 for awhile. Both FICM related
I also just started getting these codes. Ficm on my CTS never drops below 49.5.
Batteries are a week old AGM's and alternator is a 240 unit that runs 13.7-13.9 constantly.
Is a new FICM in order?

2005 F350 CCLB FX4
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorssrollin View Post
I also just started getting these codes. Ficm on my CTS never drops below 49.5.
Batteries are a week old AGM's and alternator is a 240 unit that runs 13.7-13.9 constantly.
Is a new FICM in order?

2005 F350 CCLB FX4
My batteries are good, New alt getting 14.2 14.4 regular.
13.7 your close to needing a new one IMO (from what i've read on here)
49.5, again, from what i've read it's still good.
I get 50V on my Gryphon, but i've read they don't read above that for the 58V swamps I have. For me, IMHO, a new FICM is in order. FYI, i've replaced the relay at $80 here in Canada (code 1378 Voltage low, connection, relay, short, charging system)

Hope that helps ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.