Colt cams - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Colt cams

Since I am doing a full engine tear down, I decided to pull the trigger on a stg #1 colt cam. Talking with Geoff at colt yesterday I learned a few interesting tidbits about the down falls of oem valvetrain, (his opinion on why its hard on lifters). He also told me that he has one in his truck now and he has stock and tuned dyno numbers from before and will de getting after numbers in the spring at BD dyno days.

He also said that the guys at bernhausen diesel in abbotsford could not believe the drivability and power increase on his truck even on stock tuning. And suggested that 2nd of course to tuning it is one of the best mods you can do. (obviously not cost effective unless you are doing a build). All of this is the opinion of the man selling a product of course, but thought id share, I am excited for this mod.

There was a few other things that he said that he asked me not to post on a public forum. but if your interested pm me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know that there isn't a lot of "tangible" data on cams and there are some VERY strong opinions on "effectiveness" (lack thereof actually) of a cam, but I am with you. I have yet to read where a guy who put a cam in his truck hated the way it drove after it was back on the road. I definitely won't preach to buy a cam for everyone, but I do believe that there is enough supporting evidence for a mild cam (like the Colt Stage 1) that if you're doing a motor build with new lifters and have to buy a new cam anyways (it is stupid not to do a new cam with new lifters), you might as well buy an aftermarket one like the Colt Stage 1 cam.

Are the Stage 1 cams still a reground cam or are they a billet cam now??

Either way, I'm looking to get a stage 1 cam for my next rebuild.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Regrind, so you need a descent core. He can fix more then some might think.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Same thoughts as above. IF you are tearing it down it's a good idea to get the cam work done.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have zero data or any real information. But, I believe that a cam is a very worthwhile investment. I like how my truck drives with the cam.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought the stage 2 new billet for mine. Hope to have it running soon. I had the short block together and had to tear it back down because there was too much piston protrusion. In the process of milling .020 off the top of the pistons so I can put it all together. I talked with Geoff quit a few times before I bought the cam. Very knowledgeable guy and a pleasure to deal with. Looking forward to the results of all the work. Couldn't see the point in buying a stock cam when there was a better one available.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I loved the elite stage 1 cam I had in my old motor. Quicker spool up was a big thing I noticed. It was also bored .040 over, I don't know if that helped too?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Off-topic, but when is BD doing dyno days this year?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just finished my build with a colts stage one cam along with a bunch of other mods. I would agree that if you are doing a re-build it would be worth doing. I also did valve springs and RCD push rods for some piece of mind. would be interested in any other insight you and on the cam you received. PM me
Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

U guys that have run a colt cam. Is there any noticeable sound diff when the truck is sitting at idle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.