VGT Tunability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VGT Tunability

Just got a question and I'm not real sure if it would be a benefit or a absolute no no.
I was messing around with my scan tool an noticed I could open or fully close the vanes in the turbo. Well I fully closed them and took it for a short drive. I closely watched the boost and EGTs and I noticed that the truck built boost much sooner in the RPMS and maintained a lower EGT under part throttle.
Well what I'm wondering is if anyone has ever wrote a tune to only operate the vanes as a wastegate to manage pressure and leave it fully closed during acceleration and fully open under deceleration.

Just want to know how this would function and if it would be an absolute negative or if it would be a bonus. Lower EGTs made me smile a little not gonna lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Subscribed
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Oh boy, I will try to answer the beat I can. The problem with keeping vanes closed and operating as a waste gate functionis that the turbo will actually be acting like a non vgt turbo. A small non vgt and would over speed the compressor. The truck would not have any top end, just bottom and maybe so mid. The turbo would sort of act like the vanes being stuck in one position, but have a waste gate when let off. There is a reason why the ecm controls the vgt solenoid with all the info it gets like backpressure, load, flow and such. You are really asking for trouble and won't work very well at all, you will actually have a bad running truck. Let the ecm do want it is suppose to on the vgt, I have seen too many people think they are smarter then the ecm to only mess up their trucks. Hope this made sense.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for the response. I was kinda figuring that it would take away with it being as small as it is just wandered because of how much it added to the low end makes me kinda want to tune it to close more in the low end and then return to normal in the high RPM and flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.