What Voltage & Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Voltage & Why?

Got a new BPD 6 phase FICM on its way. Can't decide what voltage to run. Like the idea of 58v but concerned that the soft code it sets might affect the passing of the biannual smog testing my great state has. Already running SRL+, so not looking for more power or torque. Just looking for a more reliable FICM than OEM (currently have 2 years on a new OEM power supply and starting to see a small voltage drop at startup), that will provide strong, consistent starts, and won't cause my truck to run a tad rough at idle until the oil temp is up. Thinking of going with 53v - a happy medium.

What are you running (or would you run) and why?

Thx-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you sure the 53 won't throw a FICM performance soft code ?

also being a soft code unless your state plugs in to the OBD won't be noticeable

I run the 58 because i wanted to try it if I want to revert to 48 I can with nippers so can you but if I want to try 53 I need to solder a jumper
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Are you sure the 53 won't throw a FICM performance soft code ?

also being a soft code unless your state plugs in to the OBD won't be noticeable
Zmann-

The state does plug into the OBD II port and check for codes.

Not positive on the 53v setting and whether it will throw a soft code or not. I did several searches yesterday and everyone running 58v said it threw a soft code. 2 or 3 folks running 53v said it didn't.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My state just looks for a CEL for you I guess I would try the 53 and see?

worst case is pull it out cut the other jumper and your back at 48 or just go 48.

I noticed not 1 percent of differance between my failing FICM and the 58 volt

I also was not disappointed because I bought the 6 phase for the redundant circuits not a performance gain

I would have gone 48 if BPD knew about the soft code but I had 2 seconds to decide since BPD was nice enough to offer to install it for free when I went to pick it up

I had planned to do it in the driveway and it was well over 100* outside in the shade

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
My state just looks for a CEL for you I guess I would try the 53 and see?

worst case is pull it out cut the other jumper and your back at 48 or just go 48.

I noticed not 1 percent of differance between my failing FICM and the 58 volt

I also was not disappointed because I bought the 6 phase for the redundant circuits not a performance gain

I would have gone 48 if BPD knew about the soft code but I had 2 seconds to decide since BPD was nice enough to offer to install it for free when I went to pick it up

I had planned to do it in the driveway and it was well over 100* outside in the shade
Yeh, the redundancy is what hooked me on the 6 phase unit. Makes me feel like I won't ever have to worry about the FICM again.

Don't blame you one bit for taking-up BPD's offer to install. They are definitely good people over there
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

It's funny, looking online there is no information about the upper end voltage of what constitutes "poor FICM performance", which is what the P0611 code indicates. It's clear the lower trigger is 45 vdc, but I can't seem to find an upper end spec. Perhaps using the lower end drop of 3 vdc, the upper end value is + 3, or 51 vdc?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I like my 58v BPD. I did notice better throttle response and a smoother engine but it is very subtle, not like a tune.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just looked through 3 different model year workshop manuals and none of them give an upper limit to the P0611 DTC.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FWIW mine is set at 58V and I throw a P0611 code too. It's a soft code, doesn't set a CEL but it's there "FICM performance out of range"......so it must not like anything above the 48V it's supposed to be set at
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
I just looked through 3 different model year workshop manuals and none of them give an upper limit to the P0611 DTC.
Thanks for checking Matt. Interesting that Ford would only list an acceptable lower limit, yet still have the PCM throw a soft code for both upper and lower exceedances.

Based on postings in other threads I appears that the upper level trigger point is somewhere between 53v and 58v. Everyone running 58v has posted that it throws a soft code - unless they are running a Swamps unit that fools the PCM into thinking the FICM MPWR is less than it really is. I've discovered 3 or 4 posts that state that 53v has not set a soft code. Could this be why BPD and some others are offering the option of 53v?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.