PHP's 140X tune. Wow. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP's 140X tune. Wow.

A little back ground first. I'm Matt from Mad Turbo Werks. I've been working with Adrian from the very beginning testing turbos and doing R&D. I've run tunes from every tuner out there. I once deleted 36 different tunes from my lap top. I've tried em' all. I can say that the tuning community are a great bunch of folks as a whole. Always willing to work with customers to try and get their trucks to run exactly how the customer prefers.

That said, I've never run a PHP tune. I've done a lot with Bill and run his FICM tuning, currently the Atlas40, but I've tried them all including his original. This week Jay got my info and sent me a tune to try out with our new Stage 2.

First impression is how smooth and responsive it is. No lag. This truck moves out quick. Gasser quick with very little throttle input. Again, no lag. The least lag of any tune I've run.

Second, the throttle response is very linear and smooth. No light switch effect, no dead spots. Again, like driving a gas truck but with sh*tloads more power.

Third, the shifts are spot on. Amazing how well this tune shifts. Absolutely amazing. I personally believe the hardest art about getting a truck ti your liking is the trans tuning. This tune is perfect. The shifts are quick and firm, which will save your trans, and the shift points couldn't be better. The OD shift is out far enough to keep the truck in its power and at all times. The TC lock comes on at around 55mph and unlocks as soon as the throttle releases. My mind was blown at how well this tune shifts without any tweaking at all.

The power is there and comes on very nice. I have yet to go past about 60% throttle, because I wanted to give plenty of time for the relearn to complete, but the power is there. The truck feels very light and quick. No problem moving my 8,000lb ECLB 4x4 on 35's around traffic.

So far Bill's tune has impressed me very much. I was blown away by how well this tune runs without any modification. I will post up more about the top end when I get to make a few hard pulls. This tune will become my go to DD tune. Oh, and Bill wrote in a turbo brake function when the tiw/haul is engaged, so I'll be towing (10-14k) with this tune as well.

If you're looking for a great tune, call Jay and Bill at PHP. They know what they're doing with the 6.0's, no doubt. The tunes are safe as well, no huge timing increases to make the power. I'm so impressed that Adrian and I are negotiating with PHP to offer their tunes with our new Stage 2 turbo's. A package that is sure to change 6.0's into absolute beasts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MWilbur516 For This Useful Post:
ATV PRO 11 (01-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What injectors are you running?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good info I have been running the atlas 40 for a while and love that. I might have to give home a call and try his tune, sounds great.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 AM

I've been running the 140x with the original stage 2 for a while and I couldn't agree more I've been posting these comments so hopefully the negotiations work out.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz trk View Post
What injectors are you running?
I'm on stock injectors.

Jay is currently testing our MadMax with the same tune and the Hercules 100 FICM tune on stock injectors. He's giving us great results as well.

Something I forgot to mention. EGT's are great too. ~675* running 55mph on 2lanes around here. Accelerating faster than normal, it'll get to 725-750* then drop back down when you cruise. It holds 5-7psi of boost while cruising and it spools quick.

The Stage 2 is an excellent stock injector turbo and the MadMax is turning out to be a great stock injector turbo as well.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM

I'm debating changing from my SRL Extreme tune to something else. The shift points are killing me. It feels very doggy from 50-60 MPH. The canned SCT Performance tune had excellent shifting manners, just not the power.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sounds really good Matt. I know that Nathan had excellent results with his new tune from Bill as well. I may have to give this a try in the future.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Night and day differance when you find a truely qualified tuner, PHP knows there stuff and actually uses a Dyno to test. PHP is great stuff and great people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
ATV PRO 11 (01-27-2014), Chatham036 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Diesel View Post
Sounds really good Matt. I know that Nathan had excellent results with his new tune from Bill as well. I may have to give this a try in the future.
Call Bill, get this tune. It's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Night and day differance when you find a truely qualified tuner, PHP knows there stuff and actually uses a Dyno to test. PHP is great stuff and great people.
Yep, even after all the tunes I've had, I am very impressed. Bill knocked it outta the park.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Unhappy

I think ill give these guys a call as soon as I get my stage 2 matt! I appreciate the post!

Edit: whats with the sad face?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.