Billet Wheel ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Billet Wheel ?'s

What's my options when it comes to billet wheels. Who offers them and what is the benefits to adding one. Also what's the deal with single and dual plain wheels. I would be adding one to an 03 turbo would there be any difference in the amount of whistle by switching to one. Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Whistle comes from the turbine not the compressor so there is no change in that. There is the Batmowheel, MTW, Dieselsite Wicked Wheel etc.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

So is one better than the other what are the benefits etc.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They all tout that they do this and that over the competition. But in the end, they all work pretty much the same and I dont think anyone has noted anything drastic from one brand to the other. Id get whatever is cheapest, usually MTW.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
They all tout that they do this and that over the competition. But in the end, they all work pretty much the same and I dont think anyone has noted anything drastic from one brand to the other. Id get whatever is cheapest, usually MTW.
They all do this AND that? Or is it more that than this? Cause I have a lot of this but not a lot of that. I think that is what the truck needs. I don't have a CIL yet but Ive heard you can run very low on both this and that before IT hits the fan. And that aint good.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
sinner6.0L (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:27 PM

I have a diesel site one and noticed a big decrease in smoke and haze on heavy throttle, about 50-70 degree cooler egts.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4
Attached Thumbnails
Billet Wheel ?'s-1390094862119.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What I meant what that some companies theirs is far superior, some lower EGTs more than the other guys, more boost etc. But in the end they are pretty much the same. Now when you start to talk single plane vs. dual plane, I could buy into that.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There are dual plane and single plane compressor wheels. On the dual plane wheels the advantage is weight. On the single plane it's weight and the ability to move air.

I for one don't believe in the "lowering of EGTs" part. Since the PCM monitors all kinds of parameters it will adjust for the new air flow. Lowering of EGTs theory tells me it's leaning out the air/fuel mix which could be bad or good depending on your current setup. Sure the first day of driving you may see the temps dropped but the long term will bring those numbers back up.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
TLowering of EGTs theory tells me it's leaning out the air/fuel mix which could be bad or good depending on your current setup.
That's for gasoline engines, not diesels. More air will not hurt a diesel motor because of the so called "leaning." There is no air/fuel mixture per say.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 PM

I have run a turbo with a batmowheel, a single plain, and a dual plane. I can say the batmowheel is the absolute worst and do not waste any money on one. The single plain wheel REALLY woke up the turbo coming from a batmo. It almost felt like a different turbo all together with how much more off idle power and response it had. The dual plain wheel lost some of the off idle power. Enough for me to notice it. Now the throttle response is still there and after say 1800-1900rpm the dual plain wheel for sure gives a more "push you back in the seat" feel than the single plain. I would go with a single plain wheel if your towing and/or really like the peppiness from red light to red light in your truck. If you frequently hammer on it (like I do) then the dual plain is the way to go. Way more "passing gear" type power if you hammer down to pass someone or race from a rolling start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.