True twin turbo suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True twin turbo suggestions

I am going to be trying true twin turbos on my truck. Before the meat of the post gets going, keep the naysaying at bay, it's my money I'll waste it if I want to.

I had new heads cast with bigger ports, runners, etc.. I made my own intakes, and am working on headers( upswept block hungers that veer outward making room for the turbos.) going to run 350/150's, colt stg 2 cam, forged crower rotating assembly, you get the picture.

I was thinking start with 2 62/68/.70 t3, the small housings are to see where I stand on lighting the chargers, if they light way early and I have to gate hard, I'll step up to the t4's.

Let the suggestions(other than don't do it) commence.
sealeveloc and Gadgetguru like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love the idea of doing something different. I'm looking for a 2 door 2wd right now to do twins on, just on a smaller scale, 190's or 205's max with everything short of dual HPO pumps. I was thinking about T3's as a max starting point for mine and may have to go smaller. I hav another use for the T3's if they turned out to not work well for me. Your plan sounds like a great place to start.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this sounds awesome....
Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Did I miss something Kdogg? What happened to your 07 Fummins?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
I am going to be trying true twin turbos on my truck. Before the meat of the post gets going, keep the naysaying at bay, it's my money I'll waste it if I want to.

I had new heads cast with bigger ports, runners, etc.. I made my own intakes, and am working on headers( upswept block hungers that veer outward making room for the turbos.) going to run 350/150's, colt stg 2 cam, forged crower rotating assembly, you get the picture.

I was thinking start with 2 62/68/.70 t3, the small housings are to see where I stand on lighting the chargers, if they light way early and I have to gate hard, I'll step up to the t4's.

Let the suggestions(other than don't do it) commence.

When you say real twins do you mean one turbo per bank feeding the engine?
If so I always thought that would be a neat setup. That's a heck of a lot injectors you have decided on.

Good luck on your build
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

how about twin vgt turbos? Run one off of each bank and feed just that bank. Split he vgt pigtail. Custom tuning. Almost like having two 4 cylinder diesel engines under the hood. You could mount one in each battery spot and build two custom intake manifolds. One feeding each head. Add in some true dual exhaust. Using the vgt you could get a much larger charger spooling a little quicker. That would definitely be different! Next year if I had the money I was going to try something like this (or just do some compounds). It should be a crazy fast spooling setup that can move a ton of air... theoretically.
ODAWG714 and Scolesy8 like this.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That sounds like an awesome idea Charlie... But what about the fact that you are now taking a turbo designed to be able to spool with X amount of air and are cutting it in half? I feel like once you got them going it'd run like a raped ape but even with a vgt would it be a little slow at first?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolesy8 View Post
That sounds like an awesome idea Charlie... But what about the fact that you are now taking a turbo designed to be able to spool with X amount of air and are cutting it in half? I feel like once you got them going it'd run like a raped ape but even with a vgt would it be a little slow at first?
The cool thing about vgt turbos is the fact that you can get a bigger than normal turbo to spool more like a smaller turbo. The downside is you lose a little bit of flow up top.

Generally speaking... take any given size turbo and make it a vgt... the vgt will spool faster and flow less air. I do not know how well it will spool to just run off of 4 cylinders, but I would venture to say that it would spool much better than any given non-vgt of that size.

Sorry for the slight derail... I am very excited either way you go
Old 01-19-2014, 03:50 PM

the fummins met a log truck and lost, badly.

I gave a little thought to the vgt side, but my concern is that given 2 different sections of wire, they do not transmit signals exactly the same, wire x may transmit .002 seconds faster than wire y. It seems you guys have enough trouble controling vgt as it is. As I've read comparing dmax and cummins to the pstrokes. Would be neat to try, just not for me.

I wanted to try 2 362's because having 1400cc(350's) per head is the same as 175's for both heads. A 362 works great with 175's. But, as Nate told me and after finally listening to him, not gonna be kosher on the surge line part of the map if all holds true.

A couple garretts were suggested but, they seem small for what needs to be cleaned up, and I'm pretty sure I'd have to gate the crap out of them. Maybe not with a more reasonable injector.

The dilemma is I'm going to need a big A$$ explosion down low to get them spinning, then I think the turbos will be fine. I have the airways and the straightest shot at the turbines a v8 will ever get. It'll be several months at least before i'm at the point to buy chargers and injectors, just getting the thread out for tips, tricks, suggestions, etc..

Yes Adrian, one charger per head, totally divorced airpaths as well.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM

This sounds wild!! But I like it. I know a few months back diesel power magazine had a true twin turbo 6.4 in it. And I think MPD had there hands in the build. Maybe u could find it and get an idea on charger sizes. Sounds awsome tho forsure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.