Who tunes their own truck with SCT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who tunes their own truck with SCT?

Just curious who has the SCT Advantage III software to write their own tunes? I purchased mine a little over a year ago to tune my Lightning and I just sent off the paperwork to SCT to add my F250 to my contract

It would be great to have a Tuning Forum/Section to exchange tuning tips/info etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I buy my tunes... on a side note did you get your CELs fixed?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I personally love the idea of writing your own tunes and having a tuning section of the forum for tuning discussions but I'm not sure most are going to want to try tuning their own trucks for fear of blowing it up. I'm going to be exploring tuning my own truck here in about a month. I believe just as much performance potential lies in the tuning aspect of "building" these trucks as the hard parts do if not more.
WHAT HAPPENED likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Yep, sure did. I pulled the EGR which was pretty dirty and just bought a new one and popped it in and cleared the codes and it's been fine since.. EGR Delete and coolant filter are next on the list.

Also a few weeks ago I threw on a triple pillar gauge pod with some Autometer factory match boost, EGT and trans gauges along with a mbrp 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust. I then decided to buy the Extreme street tune from Innovative to hold me over until I could contact SCT about adding the F250 to my contract so I could tune it. I had to borrow the X3 from my Lightning to load a tune temporarily until I get a tuner solely for the F250. It really woke up the truck and I am really impressived to say the least.

As for the SCT Advantage Software, I know absolutely nothing about tuning Diesels so I wanted to find someone who would give me atleast write me a base tune in the .MTF format which allows me to see all the values and make changes to the tune unlike the .cef format that they normally send that only allows you to load it. I finally found a tuner willing to give me some of his custom tunes in.mtf format so long as I buy the tuner through him. I've got to buy one anyway since so that works perfect. Plan on buying the Livewire TS 5015 through him tomorrow. For PRP owners, It's only $100 dollars to SCT per additional vehicle to tune as long as said vehicle is in your name. If it's someone elses vehicle and you want to tune it, it's $300.

I just cant believe there is so little of information out there in regards to people tuning their own diesels. It's almost as if the guys who do write tunes and know best practices and what does and does not work with diesels are very tight lipped about it.. I can understand their reason but I still thought I'd find more info than I have so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZaC851 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yep... Everything about doing stuff to these trucks is tight lipped and over-complicated...
Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the software, advance the hell out of the timming, and then market your tunes on here like many before you. If you make the power, they will come...
Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anyone making money from writing tuning files will not be sharing info on the boards. I talked to a few people and it's trial and error. Sure they have some help from SCT but there's no book to share.

The most popular tuning companies do not tweak the same settings.

I wish you the best of luck!!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My wife and I tuned her truck with sct, no different really than Efi live. Just go little by little. The transmission is royal pain compared to the engine. Never done a 6.0, that'll change soon.

Unless you are building some off the wall monster, just buy them from a tuner and have them tweak them. It takes a few days if you don't really know what to look for, or a few hours if you do.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Anyone making money from writing tuning files will not be sharing info on the boards. I talked to a few people and it's trial and error. Sure they have some help from SCT but there's no book to share.

The most popular tuning companies do not tweak the same settings.

I wish you the best of luck!!
I guess I'm just surprised that there just isnt much information on tuning Diesels at all, that I've been able to find.. I've got quite a bit of documentation on tuning Gasoline engines, not to mention a heap of knowledge all over the net. I bought the software over a year ago and the small part of the Lightning community doing their own tuning has really grown over the last year, sharing value files, tunes, etc. Guess I'll learn by trial and error....Its a stock truck so I know it cant be any harder than that Lightning in my Sig that doesnt have a single stock part on it
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
Unless you are building some off the wall monster, just buy them from a tuner and have them tweak them.
Exactly what I was thinking with a stock truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advantage, ppr, sct, tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.