budget friendly street build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
budget friendly street build

well I am finally in the beginning stages of my build, early 04 F250... have been doing a lot of reading on here for a while and this is what I have so far. this is going to be a budget friendly build that can be used for a DD, towing, and have fun on the street. I know there are many of you on here at already have your truck built so please give insite, but this will also be good for the many guys that are just starting to tinker with their 6.0...

what the truck has so far
4" exhaust turbo back
Blue spring
sinister coolant filter
brute force cold air intake
6.4 banjo bolts (yes I realize now that this is useless...keep reading)
SCT Livewire TS with eric's Tow w/brake, street, and x street tune
leveling spring
305/65/18 cepek fun country 2's

the truck is a fun and yet reliable truck so far... but I have a gasser pulling truck and like that... I cant leave well enough alone

the build...
I have the sinister full delete and studs sitting here in the box already
already ordered and waiting on the tuner from PHP for my Atlas 40 tune
Barder Stage 2
Warren 175/stock
PI converter
My custom built traction bars
my own fuel system
new ford oil cooler
debating between OEM gaskets or giving RCD's new gaskets a shot...
and also debating on doing heat wrap on the exhaust as well...

to elaborate on a couple things...
I have called over to barders a couple times and been discussing. because I have an 03 turbo im debating on sending that to them and having them do a full rebuild, and then they would only have to do the stage 1 mods to my compressor side for me to have a stage 2... saves a lot of money. but at the same time it would be nice to have an all new turbo...
I don't wanna try to explain my traction bars on here until I have built them. I believe in a ladder style bar and they are a truly different style... excellent results with all the ones I have built for my buddies... but these are gonna have a new twist to them and see how it turns out. there is one or two companies out there that have something similar to mine but the are not the same.
the fuel system I speak of above is like a reg return... from what ive learned throughout reading on here and what not... running 175/stock is basically my limit for the stock fuel system without actually needing a reg. return. but I wanna allow myself room to grow. I would build a reg return similar to the PSE return kit that Rudy's diesel sells. I like the fact they use actual fittings rather than banjo's and small lines. so if im going to build my own then why not redo the lines that feed the heads in the similar fashion.. just my thoughts.

ive been talking with innovative and trying to do a new tune with PI and attempt to keep the vane sweep on there that I currently have. who knows what will happen there. as far as the wrap on the exhaust It was something that I had thought about and would see if it does anything... I want to powdercoat some parts to make a clean and sharp looking engine compartment.

any thoughts and opinions are helpful..... thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also plan on running 5w40 oil once I do the build.... and either CAT ELC or John Deere Cool Gard for coolant.... (its hard not to run deere 15w40 and deere coolant when its almost free) since I do work for JD...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here are a couple of thoughts about room to grow...

You could always do 190/stock. It should run fine on your stock system for now. It is easy to tune down to run just like 175/stock and 155/stock if needed. Also if you decide you want something bigger later after you add your fuel system you can always add nozzles. I think 190/stock is a pretty good deal and they are on $50 more than 175/stock from warren.

About the turbo... if you turbo is in good condition then I would just have it rebuilt. As long as it is completely rebuilt it will pretty close to having a new pmax. The turbine side on the pmax is the same as the 03 turbo. The center section is exactly the same. And you will be modifying the compressor side. etc... The one thing I would keep in mind is if you ever want to upgrade to a barder stage 3 then it will require to start from a pmax... so if that is an idea then I would go for the pmax.

I am not sure if I saw head studs in there???

Seems like you have done your research and are off to a good start
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome buddy good luck. Stick with the OEM headgaskets and do you have in your budget enough for a BPD oil cooler? If not then yeah the OEM cooler with CAT EC1 ELC and the sinister coolant filter you should be set.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Charlie... I have the studs in the box in my closet actually ha....but from what I'm seeing I'm leaning towards the rebuild side of things. And do u think the 190's r going to be too big for a stock fuel system? Even though they r stock nozzles.....

And lpnsteve.... After what I've saw and what not... I'm just not a true fan of the bulletproof setup and had planned on the ford cooler instead.......
Old 01-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

To be truthful I don't think the 190/stock will dump much more than 175/stock because the nozzles are too small. But when you add nozzles later (which you can do yourself for pretty cheap) you will have 190cc to play with instead of only 175.

To answer your question I think 190/stock will be fine with the stock fuel system. 190/100 would be way too much for the stock fuel system. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is there any gains in a 190 stock over 175 stock?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well Charlie... If I don't upgrade anytime soon... Am I gonna really see any different from the 175's to the 190's in stock form......since I'm only running stk nozzles??
Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

At lower rpms you will see a gain (depending on the tune). but above 3000 rpms it is unlikely. This is because the motor is spinning so fast that the stock nozzles and pulse width will not be able to dump all the fuel
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz trk View Post
Is there any gains in a 190 stock over 175 stock?
There are gains to be had. And it is only $50 more. The main reason I would get them is to add nozzles later and have a bigger injector.

If you were to buy 175/stock and then want to upgrade to 190/75 it would cost you twice the price.

If you were to buy 190/stock and then just add nozzles then it will cost half as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.