New Turbo Install...What else to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Turbo Install...What else to do?

So I am about to put a new turbo on my 06. I ordered a Barder Stg2 after a little research and I hope it works out. For all of you that have upgraded turbos, is there anything else I should do while I am in there? My truck is basically stock, but want to make sure I do it right. Are there any other parts I can upgrade while in there? I want to make sure that if I spend the time and money on an a turbo, I spend the time and money on any other parts that make it more beneficial.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 AM
COONASS

I am looking at you sig and don't see ARP???
or a monitor???
Not sure if the turbo is a good investment right now...

If you had the ARP head studs and a Live wire or edge monitor or scan gauge II then the next thing would be getting the right tune and maybe injectors.?.?.?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

I monitor with SGII. On my end with monitoring, all appears well. I may not be studded but my truck just got back from the shop too and all was well with the stock setup...according to Ford. (Had unison ring failure and pan seal leakage. They pulled the motor and also tested all the major failure components as well.) I am going to shoot for better than stock, but retain daily driver. My work car limits the miles I put on my truck. I am still under factory warranty so I figured I would test a few things out. If no good, go back to stock. I know eventually I will need to do studs and gaskets and so on, but I will just wait for the day to come...hopefully by then I will have won the lottery and it won't matter. Tunes are also in work for the addition of a turbo.

Last edited by deslpwr; 01-12-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Add
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you've got a monitor and the health of your truck is in check then I wouldn't worry about your decision. With tunes written for that turbo they should be able to keep any determental from happening, but in turn you won't be able to take full of advantage of it either. I've been running tunes for 50k and my turbo for several thousand without studs. As far as what else you should do, what's your budget? A FICM tune will help you down blow with that turbo and is relatively cheap. Out of curiousity did you have turn your stock turbo in for a core?

Last edited by 6literdiesel; 01-12-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAT HAPPENED View Post
I am looking at you sig and don't see ARP???
or a monitor???
Not sure if the turbo is a good investment right now...

If you had the ARP head studs and a Live wire or edge monitor or scan gauge II then the next thing would be getting the right tune and maybe injectors.?.?.?
A turbo alone doesn't play into the need for upgrading the stock bolts. I have almost 60k miles on a full fuel race tune on stock bolts, the last 20+k with some form of Powermax turbo or euqivelent.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6literdiesel View Post
If you've got a monitor and the health of your truck is in check then I wouldn't worry about your decision. With tunes written for that turbo they should be able to keep any determental from happening, but in turn you won't be able to take full of advantage of it either. I've been running tunes for 50k and my turbo for several thousand without studs. As far as what else you should do, what's your budget? A FICM tune will help you down blow with that turbo and is relatively cheap. Out of curiousity did you have turn your stock turbo in for a core?
The Barder turbos are not made from a stock turbo, so no core. They are made from new Powermax's. Your stock turbo could be sold to offset some of the cost.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslpwr View Post
So I am about to put a new turbo on my 06. I ordered a Barder Stg2 after a little research and I hope it works out. For all of you that have upgraded turbos, is there anything else I should do while I am in there? My truck is basically stock, but want to make sure I do it right. Are there any other parts I can upgrade while in there? I want to make sure that if I spend the time and money on an a turbo, I spend the time and money on any other parts that make it more beneficial.

Scott
If you mean in general, an SCT tuner would be a good place to start although that would void your warranty in most cases. I would have actually done that before the turbo.

Other than that there's not really anything to modify for performance or reliability at that depth with the exception of the cold air intake. Most people don't bother with that on a close to stock truck though.

Now if you wanted to go just a little deeper, I would seriously think about deleting the EGR, although that again will void your warranty.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't believe everyone forgot the obvious..... OEM parts that have been upgraded...

Hard Oil turbo feed line.

Turbo Drain Tube.

The hard turbo line will come with a new gasket too.

Hard CAC cold air tube - replaces the black plastic one.

Be extra careful with the ears on the controller connector.

Lessons Leaned....

Leave out the back bolt.

Use ratcheting box end wrenches.

Tighten turbo to down pipe first, loosen up pipes to manifold and tighten them last..

Take out the air filter all the way to turbo flex boot as one piece, also makes putting it back in easier.

Others will chine in shortly... with more.

D
WHAT HAPPENED likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the replies. No core with Barder as stated above by wldhrse. The SCT will be added with/for the turbo. Thanks angus, I'll throw those parts on the to do list as well. I was thinking along those lines. Any OEM upgrades or "should do" while in there. Budget is tight, trying to buy a house as well. Again thanks for the replies y'all!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
COONASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel angus View Post
Can't believe everyone forgot the obvious..... OEM parts that have been upgraded...

Hard Oil turbo feed line.

Turbo Drain Tube.

The hard turbo line will come with a new gasket too.

Hard CAC cold air tube - replaces the black plastic one.

Be extra careful with the ears on the controller connector.

Lessons Leaned....

Leave out the back bolt.

Use ratcheting box end wrenches.

Tighten turbo to down pipe first, loosen up pipes to manifold and tighten them last..

Take out the air filter all the way to turbo flex boot as one piece, also makes putting it back in easier.

Others will chine in shortly... with more.

D
Yes i know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.