03-07 air dog 2 install problems?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03-07 air dog 2 install problems??

Alright, so let me start off by saying I purchased the ad2 system 3 weeks ago, finally received it last week. (Yes I realize it's essentially Antarctica back there so shipping will take forever) after receiving it I went to put it on and realized I got two of the rear mounting bracket and no front! Called the day after New Years and they sent me both mounting plates second day. Now that I have time and I'm installing it I'm having some absurd install issues! I have a ccsb 05 and as stated In the instructions I'm mounting it on the driver side frame rail. Well as owners of trucks alike you know there is virtually NO room there. With the transfer case in the way of the outbound fittings I had to get shorter bolts and delete the spacer block so the lines could go around the transfer case. Now my huge issue is the line from the ad2 to the return T. The hose provide has a 180 degree bend on it and I need to go up the frame rail straight to the T. Why wouldn't they put a straight barb??? I have the "in" and "engine" sides correct but is there a reason why they would make a complete loop from the return to the pump manifold? Anyone else having these issues? Thanks in advance for any input! It's an ad2 df-165
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's exactly how I've got mine mounted on my 05. It is very aggravating how close the lines are to the transfer case. I actually took a zip tie to hold the line off the transfer case from rubbing against it. It sounds like Pureflow might have sent you some wrong fittings. Can you post a pic of the 180 degree fittings your talking about at the T?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I was really hoping this would be an easy install but I feel like I'm having to redesign every step of this! The 180 fitting I'm talking about is the one crimped on in the picture, even in the instructions it shows a picture of this metal 180 degree crimp going to the pump on the "engine side" then going to the T where the old hfcm used to be. This would mean it'd go straight along the frame from the ad2 to the T. Towards the transfer case. With the fitting provided you have to make a complete loop before going straight to the t! Is that how yours was or am I just over frustrated here and missing sonething? Thanks for your input!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, for the relay wiring- did you just tap into the old hfcm key on hot as opposed to pig tailing off a fuse in the cab? Seems like it would make sense to run off the old hfcm circuit....
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get ready for replacing that pump more times then you can count I'm on my 3rd pump.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeproc View Post
Get ready for replacing that pump more times then you can count I'm on my 3rd pump.
Yep. What he said.

I think there should be a sticky telling HEUI owners not to by FASS or AD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeproc View Post
I have heard this horror story among other posts....from what I've gathered a sump or pre ad2 lift pump may be the solution. Have you tried any changes between replacement pumps? My truck has been down for over a month and being my daily driver I need to do everything right NOW so I don't have a second more of down time
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I recently put an ad2 on my truck and mine also has a loop in the return line to get the line up to the T-fitting at the factory hfcm.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenstroker View Post
I have heard this horror story among other posts....from what I've gathered a sump or pre ad2 lift pump may be the solution. Have you tried any changes between replacement pumps? My truck has been down for over a month and being my daily driver I need to do everything right NOW so I don't have a second more of down time
That will help, as well as an upgrade to the wiring. If you really want to make it reliable though, leave it in the box and hook your stock pump back up.
JUGERNAUT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.