four 146 mile trips, mileage, tuner, $$$ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
four 146 mile trips, mileage, tuner, $$$

so about once a week i'll make a 146miles round trip and well i can barley get 16.4 mpg according to my lie-o-meter and my hand calc seems to be inconsistant too. i figured i multiple my trip odometer by 1.0093 to get how far i actually went.

part 1: so i do this: (current trip miles)x 1.0093=xxxxxx then i devide the corrected miles by the gallons.

my current tire size is 315x75r16 and the tires website says its 602 revs per mile for the tire. is that correct? or am i retarded?

part 2:

if i run a sct canned tune like street, tow, or the hot performance tune and just cruise at 65 whole way will that get my mpg little better? i havent had merrited results with the tow+50 but curious if anyone has any long highway mileage data with a tune/ without?

truck info:
04 4dr, long bed, auto 4x4
straight pipe exhaust, sinister egr delete, 4in rc lift, 315x75r16 nitto terra a/t tires, blue spring, arp studs, and i run delo 15w-40 oil and use motor craft filters 5k oil, 10k fuel. fuel is about 200 miles overdue because of work lately but will be changed tue afternoon. i have an sct tuner with a custom looney wild but my truck likes the canned tunes more and dont wanna blow money on custom tune just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
16.5 is pretty average bro
Old 01-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

copy thats kinda what i was thinking... i never believed 22+ mpg on these trucks even highway etc...

so would a hi horsepower tune make any difference at cruising rpms? im lik 1800ish at 66mph, seems to be my best rpm/speed/boost range for mpg.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:27 PM

I run srl non studded and I get about 17.5 cruising 60-65.
Now I'm getting 14.5-15.0 with winter fuel.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

hmm... well i'll give it a shot then. i know the mpg thing is getting old and wasn't really complaining just looking for advice. I bought this truck because shes! smoking hot, fast and reliable haha... but if i can squeeze some more economy without too much headache i would.

thanks again. i think im gonna do some data logging on the 146mile trip for kicks and to pass the time haha.

if anyone has ever done a long trip with a tune, and without post your results no matter how biased. again not complaining about mpg just always like trying different things with the truck.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Since they started giving us winter blended fuel the mpg has been going down as expected. But the last tank I threw in some Rev-x fuel additive and I think I'm back around 15-16mpg. I'll know the next time I fuel up. I have tried Archoil and optilube, and honestly didn't notice much on those. But 1 tank of the Rev-x I couldn't believe it. But again I will know for sure when I fill up
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

k. I had been using rolling big powers mix its only 1.0oz for 32 gallons but only pepboys sells it and the friggin bottle is crappy and leaks...

i don't know if im frugal enough to try rev-x yet haha... gonna try maybe the diesel kleen since its so easy. I haven't noticed anything with putting the tw-c3 two-stroke oil in yet. its super cheap though just never noticed much in terms of mileage or quieting stuff down.

thanks again man. just trying to make the fuel last little longer since i now have a long trip once a week.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM

16 is about the best that I can get and I gotta reeeeeeley try to be good.
Ive been doing a lot of looking at water methanol recently. And according to Gale Banks with his set up you can figure a 10-15% mpg boost. Snow MPG sais a 1-3 mpg boost.
Now at $1000 the payback is abit far out their for myself but for a guy like yourself?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

right now yes thats a bit far for my pocket. im not sure if im re-enlisting, and they're trying to pay a ton of people/force a ton of people to get out of air force right now. they're cutting 25,000.... so im trying to save money just in case im on the chopping block. been job hunting like crazy unless i find out i can re-enlist lol.

my roommate built his own hydrogen set up for a suzuki sidekick and got like 2mpg more but thats a gas engine and much smaller. so were still checking things out for diesel.

do you know anyone who is currently using banks stuff? they look nice as heck but the $$$ is scaring me bad lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

No I haven't. But I do like Banks (bring on the haters...). But I have read a ton about snow as well. Im still as confused about water/meth as I was the day I started looking to get one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.