ReGear or ReAxle ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By william_ace
  • 1 Post By jetjock15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ReGear or ReAxle ?

Pondering a re-gear but searched around to find a complete axle.

Wondering how difficult it would be to regear in the driveway vs. exchanging the entire axle.

Of course I would then have to do the front, but it would give me the option of running the rear to see if i liked it prior to exchanging both ends only to find out I preferred 3.73's and keep my 37's.

2007 Ford F-250 Super Duty Rear Axle Assembly*(pickup), (single rear wheels), diesel, (6.0L), 4.10 ratio; (pickup), (single rear wheels), gasoline, 6.8L, 4.10 ratio*(Omaha, Nebraska, 435-02246E, Very Good, $786.00 )

Lastly, is there a market for 3.73's or are most folks seeking 4.10's ?

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would do a regear. IMO it is easier than swapping the whole axle. While you are in there, replace the seals and bearings and you basically have a new axle. You also have the option of throwing in a traction aid when you regear. It may be a bit more expensive, but with it. With a used axle, thats what you get. . . a used axle. That's my opinion anyhow.
1fastTRX likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

The cost of a used front Dana 60 alone is reason enough to just swap the gears yourself.

BTW, 4.30s would have the same effect as the OEM 3.73/31.5" tire.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Hey denny... i might have missed it but how are your new injectors running?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM

I still have a long 20 second crank to initial start, started it 7 times so far over the week, haven't driven it for more than a few miles.

It's running real strong. i have to reconnect the CCV mod tube tonight and hopefully that will alleviate the little bit of smoke emanating up around the rear of the engine.

I've verified the up pipes are tight and the turbo isn't leaking so once everything gets settled in i'll venture a little farther from the house.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Nice! Glad everything worked out.

You will not get the truck to start quicker until you beat on it a little bit. You need to work the air out and the best way to do that is put the most pressure and volume possible through the oil and fuel...

Go have a little fun and then try starting it afterwards
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Your question was about "difficulty". I can drop in new axle in under two hours complete with no special tools. Swapping gears In rear end takes me 4.5 hours and need some special tools, so swapping an axle would be "easier". All that said a re-gear is most definitely the right way to go.
william_ace likes this.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You'll need the right tools to do it. I know guys that do it for a living that have stock parts machined down to ease the process of getting the shimming right.

I'm parting out a truck with 4/30s in it right now!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

I rebuilt my Dana 80 axle in February of 2013. It was the first axle I had ever re-geared / rebuilt. I did not have a bearing preload measurement tool. It took me nine days from start to finish with 30 hours of actual work. The abbreviated timeline was: make special tools, buy socket to fit pinion nut, tear down, order parts, clean, measure components, parts arrive, re-clean, assemble, measure, tweak shims, measure, tweak shims, check contact pattern, when pass install new seal, install yoke, install new nut and washer, install cover, add oil, reattach drive shaft, burn rubber.

I bet I put the pinion and case in and out at least 6 times each before I was satisfied with the fit. I must have got it right though because I pulled a 12,000 pound trailer on a 3000 mile round trip 4 weeks later and the case temp never got above 175 degrees F. I have not had any problems with the axle to date.

I rebuilt a Dana 60 axle for my neighbor in March 2013 and it only took me 10 hours of actual work. Most of the time savings was due to having special tools already made. He has not reported any problems with his axle yet.

If you choose to re-gear the axle yourself I will offer the following advice.

1. Use Dana gears if you plan to keep the truck for a long time. I used Yukon gears in the first axle I rebuilt. The surface texture left something to be desired, and the pinion gear run-out was barely within tolerance. Tooth to tooth backlash variation was as high as .002" and the target .005"-.008" factory specified backlash value was a bit out of reach. I ended up settling for .004"-.009" range, and that is with a case that had no significant run-out.

For the Dana 60 axle I rebuilt I used Dana gears, and there was a big difference. The surface texture was very smooth and run-out was very low. Tooth to tooth variation in backlash was less than .001" and the variation of .005"-.007" backlash was well within the ford specification. I suspect that the majority of this variation was actually coming from the case itself and not the gears based on the .001" run-out that was recorded during pre assembly measurement.

2. Make sure you have an impact wrench that can deliver 1,200 ft-lb of nut busting torque to get that pinion nut off or you could find yourself with some tired arms. Also avoid using a pipe wrench to hold the pinion yoke unless you plan on buying a new one. I recommend building or buying a tool with flat faces to hold the yoke while that impact wrench is getting things done for you.

3. That preload measurement tool can save you a lot of time if you can get one from somewhere. I've never used one, but after the nth time of in and out with the pinion to get the shims added between bearings I was definitely wishing I had one.

4. A bumper jack or equivalent system is great at allowing the axle to hang fully suspended. This is a must if you have a rear fuel tank.

5. Have an extra pinion seal on hand just in case the first one doesn't get in straight on your first attempt.

That got long fast. If you would like more info/advice feel free to ask. If not there's always the "other guys on the internet"

Jon
Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM

my advice is have it done by a shop that deals in re gearing

do the rear and decide if you like it then do the front you screw up a gear job and you may be looking for a new axle anyway

does DANA make gears for the sterling rear ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.