Help out your head gaskets?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help out your head gaskets??

I was told by a diesel performance shop about a trick they use to help out the cooling of the heads to help the head gaskets. They use the trick on every head job they do, arp studs, ford factory head gaskets, and they run a line from the back of the each head from the coolant plug to return to the erg delete or the heater line. They have learned that the heads have a dead area on each of the heads on the back cylinders which cause the coolant to heated hotter than the rest, so by getting coolant to flow and not dead end it keeps the back cylinders of the heads cooler. They have seen the head gaskets last longer and be able to handle more abuse than not having the coolant dead ending. Just wanted to pass on the info, I plan on doing this on the MTW white truck, I may even do it to the average Joe truck too later in that build. Please share any thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 AM

I did the rear corner vents when I did my gasket job. I ran them back to Tstat.
We have done it on our circle track engines for years, also GM LS engines have head corner vents as well. I can say I have never had any bad results.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm also thinking about doing something like this to my truck when I do my head work. I'm in to see what people have to say about this.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Elite Diesel has the coolant line kit for the heads. Not sure I'd that's the company you're referring to...but that kit has been out for years. There are so many trucks out there that get abused and don't run the coolant lines for the heads and have no issues with head gaskets. It may help with coolant flow through the heads...but i don't that's causing alot of the gasket failures

Last edited by strokin6L; 01-10-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 AM

www.elitedieselengineering.com - 60LCoolantCirculationLineKit
Adrian...I'm assuming this is what you're talking about?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 AM
Premium Member

Well this is very interesting! I am gonna do this for sure!

Thanks Adrian
Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The coolant lines for the heads have been out for years. I've got the ATS lines.

I've never seen any hard data/proof if the lines actually keep the heads cooler or not.

Just a FYI for those who don't understand, in order to install these coolant lines, the heads have to be removed from the block. The heads get drilled/tapped, then the thermostat housing gets drilled/tapped.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

I know it has been out, but there are a lot of members that may not know. I didn't know until the diesel performance shop told me about it. As far as hard data I don't have any either, but wanted to see what some other might have known. Rich you are right not a easy type of mod, but if heads are off due to studs or gasket failure might be something to consider. There are more companys that make the kits other then tbe ones mention. I might try to make my own, will it do somthing or not, not sure, but getting feedback helps out for sure.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

I bought these lines from Elite Diesel about 4-5 years and while I dont have any hard data, I did notice that my truck took longer to heat up but the average running temp stayed the same. Mine return back to the T-Stat housing.

When you take the heads off of trucks that do not have them it looks like the coolant just sits in the back of the head and cavitates. Someone did a thermal image years back and it showed the rear of the head was much hotter than the rest of it.

One thing... Couple these lines with a regulated return system and a coolant bypass and you got hoses running everywhere.

Here are a couple pictures of them from a couple years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Help out your head gaskets??-6.0-day-1-005.jpg   Help out your head gaskets??-6.0-assembly-006.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hadnt heard about this, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.