Anyone got O-ring heads out there - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone got O-ring heads out there

I am looking for first hand experience from either shops or owners. Don't take this the wrong way but I am not looking for heresay... Heresay is when you post something you think you heard from some

My heads recently started leaking after doing the typical oem headgaskets, arp studs, proper machine work, proper prep work, etc... etc... Now my heads have a very slight leak in them. 90% of people out there would not have even noticed. It does not puke, does not lose coolant, does not smoke, etc... The only reason I notice is by putting on a gauge and testing. And the test in not really obvious either because the leak is so small. It also only leaks when pushing about 40psi boost and hitting around 600hp. It does not leak at all during typical driving. I know there are a lot of guys pushing more power on just oem gaskets and studs... but I doubt anyone of them have checked if they are leaking and many of them don't tow like me. I am not going to be doing the same thing again so no need to fill the thread up with the typical... "plenty of guys make big power with OEM headgaskets an studs" Thanks

Well if I go in there again I want to do it right and I have been looking into O-ring heads. NOT FIRE RING HEADS. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE THEN PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR EXPERIENCE.

I would really appreciate any first hand experience from anyone running o-ring heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FWIW I just got done doing heads / studs, etc... on my truck and went with O-ringed heads from UCF Machine Shop. Granted I only have 1000 miles since I finished it but they have been flawless. I tow gooseneck trailers normally loaded heavy (up to 18K) and I live at 7200' elevation. In my opinion they seem to be the only way to go. Check out UCF's website they seem to know whats up with the 6.0 heads and they have a page documenting a head job. Wish I had more miles to go by, but like you I actually use my truck to tow with and dont want future problems so I guess time will tell....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjm1 For This Useful Post:
peixinho (01-09-2014), windrunner408 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm1 View Post
FWIW I just got done doing heads / studs, etc... on my truck and went with O-ringed heads from UCF Machine Shop. Granted I only have 1000 miles since I finished it but they have been flawless. I tow gooseneck trailers normally loaded heavy (up to 18K) and I live at 7200' elevation. In my opinion they seem to be the only way to go. Check out UCF's website they seem to know whats up with the 6.0 heads and they have a page documenting a head job. Wish I had more miles to go by, but like you I actually use my truck to tow with and dont want future problems so I guess time will tell....
Thanks for your input
Old 01-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Guess I know where I'm taking my heads. I've been calling around trying to find a good place to take my heads when I do my studs. Theses guys are about 40 minutes from the house.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Charlie, this would be quite a ways from where your located at but not too terribly far from where Warrens is, Liberator performance over in Carlisle, PA does their own O-ring heads. talked with some of their guys at a show a while back and of course they had a big fancy display but they guys really knew what they were talking about and did a nice job explaining things (atleast they sure seemed like it)
The Following User Says Thank You to Scolesy8 For This Useful Post:
peixinho (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
im begining to wonder if some of the 'o ring' faliures ive read about were actually 'fire ring' failures and folks just didnt know the difference. ive personally seen several sets of heads come in with burned up fire rings, they go right in the scrap bin lol. im resesrching o ringing a lot now...we dont o ring our motors at work because we havent had issues with just studs and gaskets, but our motors are OE replacement, not high performance with 50 psi of boost amd what not. We've done o ringing in thr past on blown alcohal injected BBC motors, and we've talked about adding it as an option...but ive seen/heard about lots of 6.0 failures...seen plenty of sucess stories too, but thus far the risk hasnt been worth the cost for our production engines. Im very curious to see how o ringed heads hold up long term...heard mixed results with fire rings on 6.0's burning up ever time. Anyway, subscribed...anxious to hear more from people using o rings.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had o-ringed heads on my truck since spring of '06. About 35k miles so far with some drag racing, truck pulling, dyno runs and burn outs without any issues what so ever.
ODAWG714 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to strokin6L For This Useful Post:
ODAWG714 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gadgetguru, I hope these heads work well, I hate to endorse something that turns out to be ?&*^. They really seemed to be knowledgeable on the 6.0's though and very adamant about the use of O-rings.

Scolesy8, it is my understanding that UCF does the heads for Liberator? Could be wrong though...

strokin6L, very happy to hear oringed heads have been holding up good for you!!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Im in the same boat, my head gaskets are leaking more than yours but with a stock tune its barely noticeable. Like you i put a gauge on the coolant system and figured it out. I've spoken with UCF and im going to go that route here in the next month or so. They offer polishing of the ports too for another 500. In on the fence about the polishing, but im going to get a junk yard intake manifold and cut it open and port it to install when i do the heads.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Gadgetguru, I hope these heads work well, I hate to endorse something that turns out to be ?&*^. They really seemed to be knowledgeable on the 6.0's though and very adamant about the use of O-rings.

Scolesy8, it is my understanding that UCF does the heads for Liberator? Could be wrong though...

strokin6L, very happy to hear oringed heads have been holding up good for you!!
No worries. Haven't been able to find someplace familiar with 6.0 heads so UCF might work out for me. Makes sense about Liberator if correct since they are both in Carlisle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.