Vibration in overdrive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration in overdrive

Just got done putting in 190/75 injectors turbo fuel system and reg/return and tuning..
I noticed on the first drive is that once my truck shifts into what I believe is overdrive the whole truck starts shaking and when I noticed it I hit the tow button to keep it from going into overdrive and the shake immediately went away..once I hit the button again to turn tow off it started shaking again.
Also it only shakes while I'm not accelerating at all. But just holding speed it will start up until I hit the throttle again.any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

its a bad injector mine did the same thing when I put in warrens 175s. I had ford run a ids because it would never throw a code. Turned out I had three injectors missing. Im hoping to have my replacemnts this weekend been waiting for a month now for them.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brscott38 View Post
its a bad injector mine did the same thing when I put in warrens 175s. I had ford run a ids because it would never throw a code. Turned out I had three injectors missing. Im hoping to have my replacemnts this weekend been waiting for a month now for them.
That's weird cause I heard really good things about warrens injectors
Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM

ya me too. Did they build your old injectors or were they from cores they had?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brscott38 View Post
ya me too. Did they build your old injectors or were they from cores they had?
Cores they had.. Is there anything else it could be like tuning that if could also check
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Mine would drive fine until it got into overdrive with the torque converter full locked that's when there is the most load on the truck and it would vibrate and shake real bad. I would force a downshift and it would immediately clear up. The vibration would increase with load and not rpm or speed. If I drove around at wot it would be great. I have stock nozzles so in my case it should not be an issue with tuning. If it was tuning on your truck I think it would do it through out the rpm range.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 AM

Hope this helps I had it posted in the problems forurm I replaced # 3 at 157,817 miles, then # 4 at 158598. # 3 had issue of vibration/shudder between 1500-1900 RPM. # 4 just went out and started smoking heavy, it had hairline crack in the tip. Now after each injector replacement truck ran great. A month later the same symptoms same as # 3 with another injector. Been driving it for a few months. Symptoms a choppy and erratic idle at times and shudder/ vibration around the 1500- 1900 RPM range on slight engine load ( uphill grades) always clears up after acceleration above 2000 Rpm but will hesitate for a bit then goes and runs like it should with some miss. Now I replaced all 8 injectors with Warren’s 155/30 a few days ago and seem to have an issue with the same symptoms as when # 3 went out, It will shudder/ vibration around 1500-1900 rpm but after that it runs really great like it should with a lot of power now I haven’t loaded any custom tune for the injectors yet, was waiting to purge the air out of the system and see how it ran. I have about 650 miles on it since I replaced all 8 injectors and have done several WOT runs for a short time to try to purge the systems (fuel and oil), and just today I shut it off while stopping at a store and then it had a long start issue, after a few key cycles it started up with some cranking, does this mean all the air is not out yet? That would be my guess. I took great care on putting in Warren’s injectors, as I wanted it to run like it should. Is there anything else you guys have come across that would resemble this? I run an SCT Livewire TS and monitor the things I need to everything checks out on the monitor with no codes, but I realize the SCT does not read codes that well so I think I going to buy an AE scan tool and I don’t know fuel pressure reading yet that’s next week, but at WOT it is great really a lot of power. Is possible that between 1400- 1900 it is not getting the fuel pressure? I don’t think so as I think at WOT if it the was Fuel Pressure was weak that is where I would notice it but it really runs awesome above 2000 rpm with the new injectors, And we can rule out the return to stock verse SCT tunes cause I tried that and my tunes are custom not canned. UP DATE -Got my Driven Diesel adapters and test gauge today - Fuel pressure results Key On 62 PSI , Cranking 58- 60 PSI , Hot Idle 62 PSI , Light acceleration/grade 60-62 PSI, The grade is where the vibration/shudder is most noticeable. So clearly it doesn’t seem to be a fuel pressure issue or am I missing something? Anyone have fuel pressure numbers so I can compare reading s? I will get more readings tomorrow, maybe some WOT Here’s my truck info any advice would be helpful Thanks.

2003 F-350 6.0 about 168,000 miles on the OD Warren’s 155/30 Injectors PowerMax Turbo/Billet wheel SCT Livewire TS with Vivian’s Looney Wild, Looney and Street
MBRP- 4inch exhaust straight piped
APR Studs New Oil Cooler(updated ford version) EGR Delete S&B Intake with Zoodad plus mod PVCRelocate Blue-Spring mod 6.4 Banjo Bolts Zooda Mod Upgraded Battery cables ( 2/0 ) Coolant flushes with Restore and Restore Plus CAT ELC Coolant Filter Always synthetic 5-40 and Ford oil and fuel filters
Chilliboy93 likes this.

Last edited by BP-1; 01-10-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP-1 View Post
Hope this helps I had it posted in the problems forurm I replaced # 3 at 157,817 miles, then # 4 at 158598. # 3 had issue of vibration/shudder between 1500-1900 RPM. # 4 just went out and started smoking heavy, it had hairline crack in the tip. Now after each injector replacement truck ran great. A month later the same symptoms same as # 3 with another injector. Been driving it for a few months. Symptoms a choppy and erratic idle at times and shudder/ vibration around the 1500- 1900 RPM range on slight engine load ( uphill grades) always clears up after acceleration above 2000 Rpm but will hesitate for a bit then goes and runs like it should with some miss. Now I replaced all 8 injectors with Warrenís 155/30 a few days ago and seem to have an issue with the same symptoms as when # 3 went out, It will shudder/ vibration around 1500-1900 rpm but after that it runs really great like it should with a lot of power now I havenít loaded any custom tune for the injectors yet, was waiting to purge the air out of the system and see how it ran. I have about 650 miles on it since I replaced all 8 injectors and have done several WOT runs for a short time to try to purge the systems (fuel and oil), and just today I shut it off while stopping at a store and then it had a long start issue, after a few key cycles it started up with some cranking, does this mean all the air is not out yet? That would be my guess. I took great care on putting in Warrenís injectors, as I wanted it to run like it should. Is there anything else you guys have come across that would resemble this? I run an SCT Livewire TS and monitor the things I need to everything checks out on the monitor with no codes, but I realize the SCT does not read codes that well so I think I going to buy an AE scan tool and I donít know fuel pressure reading yet thatís next week, but at WOT it is great really a lot of power. Is possible that between 1400- 1900 it is not getting the fuel pressure? I donít think so as I think at WOT if it the was Fuel Pressure was weak that is where I would notice it but it really runs awesome above 2000 rpm with the new injectors, And we can rule out the return to stock verse SCT tunes cause I tried that and my tunes are custom not canned. UP DATE -Got my Driven Diesel adapters and test gauge today - Fuel pressure results Key On 62 PSI , Cranking 58- 60 PSI , Hot Idle 62 PSI , Light acceleration/grade 60-62 PSI, The grade is where the vibration/shudder is most noticeable. So clearly it doesnít seem to be a fuel pressure issue or am I missing something? Anyone have fuel pressure numbers so I can compare reading s? I will get more readings tomorrow, maybe some WOT Hereís my truck info any advice would be helpful Thanks.

2003 F-350 6.0 about 168,000 miles on the OD Warrenís 155/30 Injectors PowerMax Turbo/Billet wheel SCT Livewire TS with Vivianís Looney Wild, Looney and Street
MBRP- 4inch exhaust straight piped
APR Studs New Oil Cooler(updated ford version) EGR Delete S&B Intake with Zoodad plus mod PVCRelocate Blue-Spring mod 6.4 Banjo Bolts Zooda Mod Upgraded Battery cables ( 2/0 ) Coolant flushes with Restore and Restore Plus CAT ELC Coolant Filter Always synthetic 5-40 and Ford oil and fuel filters
Have you done any testing on your ficm?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 AM

Yep I have tested the FICM and monitor it with my SCT livewire on my display. I just got my AE program to see which injector is giving me trouble hopfully I will know more tommarrow.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem but with stock injectors and stock turbo a few years ago and it was the ficm. If it's putting out any less than 47.5 to 47 min chances are it's getting weak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.