SRL VS SPD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: SRL VS SPD
SRL Extreme 9 52.94%
SPD 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SRL VS SPD

Ok it appears I'm going to have to pay $75 to get my SPD revised for the new Stage 2 turbo or pay $100 to get the SRL Extreme. I've never ran any Gearhead tunes but my truck does seem to really like TSD's tunes. I need opinions on which way to go. Which one can tune this turbo better? I assume it's going to have to be tuned like a Powermax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
Ok it appears I'm going to have to pay $75 to get my SPD revised for the new Stage 2 turbo or pay $100 to get the SRL Extreme. I've never ran any Gearhead tunes but my truck does seem to really like TSD's tunes. I need opinions on which way to go. Which one can tune this turbo better? I assume it's going to have to be tuned like a Powermax.
Matt's SRL XX, ++, or Extreme is pretty quick, but I also watched my fuel needle go down while I was driving.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

I say srl seems to be the best for my truck
Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
SPD all the way. The SRLxx runs great up top but is a dog down low with my MTW stage 2. I was about to give up on this turbo cause spool up was slow (IMO) I had tried SRL, SRL+, SRLxx, Tonys Wildmans Extreme along with many tweaks from both tune writers, and finally I tried Chris's SPD and it DOES spool faster than stock! Some guys say the SPD is not as powerful up top (high rpms) but I can't feel a difference and honestly I don't spend that much time about 3k rpms compared to the time I spend from idle up to 3k. It should also be noted that I got tune revisions from Matt and Tony but Chris was the only tune writer I've ever had where I didn't need a tweak for anything motor related. Chris did give me a tweak but it is because I like in the mountains and I raised the 6th gear shift point up to 55mph to keep the motor from lugging. One last thing... I have NEVER got over 250-270 per tank until I got the SPD tune and now I'm getting just over 300 every tank. Of course this is strictly in town driving and. I always allow the motor to run 10 min before I drive. Let's us know what you choose!

Edit: My MTW stage 2 does have a larger a/r housing so my spool will be slower than yours but that only means even faster spool up with any tune compared to the old MTW stage 2 turbo.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've tried just about every tuner out there and hands down for the street, I'd run either TSD's SPD or Eric's XtremeX. I liked Eric's XtremeX because my VGT turbo ran at a lower EBP to boost ratio under normal cruising around than my SPD tune did but the SPD tune was better IMO than any of my SRL tunes from Matt. I know Matt writes A LOT of tunes that guys like but they didn't work for me. I absolutely love how Chris tunes the transmission. Eric also does a great job but has a little firmer shifts.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM

I had a similar experience to Rollinearly, I really enjoyed my Gearhead tunes until I upgraded the turbo. The turbo spool was really and the only tuner that could get it to spool quickly was TSD.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

I'm getting interested in the SPD now...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning toward just paying to have a new SPD written since my other SPD ran awesome on my truck and I like the quick spool up.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

"windrunner " could you elaborate more on the ebp/boost ratio #s . What's good/bad in
your mind ? What to look for in a combination ?
Trying to learn here - Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 AM

I love the SPD. I have run it, as well as the Looney and Looney Wild, and I love the way it pulls of the line as well as the torque it has during daily driving.

It seems that mpg's are higher with the Looney, but I prefer the SPD for daily driving. Even pretty much bone stock and with larger tires and a small lift, it really moves off the line. I love the way it drives.

I did a CTS 0-60, and it came out at a 6.1 seconds with lots of gas on board (I usually keep at least 30 gallons on my auxiliary fuel tank in the bed) and a heavy tool box in the bed. Factoring in the larger tires and the weight, it would be under 6 seconds with less fuel and without the tool box.

It's no drag strip demon, but it pulls well for the size and weight of the truck and without any other real horsepower mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.