2-3 Shift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2-3 Shift

I have an 04 and Im having some weird issues. The 2-3 shift is very hard during relearn and if tranny temps are below 80 degrees. It also has a hard 3-2 downshift at the same time the 2-3 upshift is acting up. Here is the weird thing I had a tranny that was built by warren diesel and it didn't do that but because of tuning and a converter going bad it had to be rebuilt again. Andy rebuilt it again and now I have this problem. He suggested to change computer and the transmission wiring harness and still have the same problems. He has said that he didn't doing anything different from one trans to the other and is just saying the tuning issue is because its an 04 and they are hard to tune. I have tried srl and looney wild and they both don't shift right. Sorry for the long post but this is driving me crazy and Im on the verge of selling the truck but don't feel right pawning this off on someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
have you asked the tuners about it? they can dial the shift pressure in on the tune...might take a few revisions back and forth, but I agree it sounds like a tuning issue

out of curiosity, what converter were you using that went bad?.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The srl I had for a couple years and it seemed fine then get a tranny and it goes to crap. Matt actually still sent me a revision and it still did the exact thing. Looney wild was better but not right she sent a couple revisions but it didn't do anything plus I don't like the tune, the light switch effect sucks. The hard upshift and downshift happens stock or tuned and the other crappy shifting happens when tuned. Andy has actually built me three transmissions. The first one the converter went after a month and it was the cheap one from PATC that he used to use, so after that I upgraded to a PI converter. But then a couple months later broke the input shaft and trashed a second converter. The last one I ran stock for a while then found someone local to do a tune and it shifts ok but not great so I'm thinking about having him dyno tune it to get it better. I guess the biggest problem is the bad shifting during relearn and when the tranny is cold. Because when its cold out it can idle for 10-15 minutes in the morning and the temp still be below 80 degrees and will do it twice before I get out of my neighborhood.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nice Harley Davidson by the way mine is an 04 Harley.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh and the first two transmissions didn't do the relearn thing or when its cold.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
so, yours has a stock converter in it now? with a built trans? if thats the case, thr issue might be the
pressure spring in the pump, andy puts a spring in it to allow higher presure to the converter (a good billet converter will take more psi than stock). just a thought, but who knows.

I am just about to send my patc converter back to patc and argue for a refund. my converter felt like crap from them, it was very loose, built up tons of heat. im amxious to really get a feel for the PI in comparison. ..maybe ill make a comparison thread between torque converters with some videos I took.

anyway good luck, I am curious to see what it is.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Get the patc one out soon or it could take the whole tranny out, mine was the same way yours is. I have PI in it now and I could tell a big difference.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaff View Post
The srl I had for a couple years and it seemed fine then get a tranny and it goes to crap. Matt actually still sent me a revision and it still did the exact thing. Looney wild was better but not right she sent a couple revisions but it didn't do anything plus I don't like the tune, the light switch effect sucks. The hard upshift and downshift happens stock or tuned and the other crappy shifting happens when tuned. Andy has actually built me three transmissions. The first one the converter went after a month and it was the cheap one from PATC that he used to use, so after that I upgraded to a PI converter. But then a couple months later broke the input shaft and trashed a second converter. The last one I ran stock for a while then found someone local to do a tune and it shifts ok but not great so I'm thinking about having him dyno tune it to get it better. I guess the biggest problem is the bad shifting during relearn and when the tranny is cold. Because when its cold out it can idle for 10-15 minutes in the morning and the temp still be below 80 degrees and will do it twice before I get out of my neighborhood.
Its not in the tuning then, have you tried swapping solenoids to see if that has any effect on it?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I know that what you highlighted isnt tuning, but the other issues I think are a little of both. No i havent swapped solenoids because they should be brand new the last tranny is only 6 months old and has done it since day one, but the first two didnt do it at all. I am now thinking about trying different solenoids but Im not sure which ones are for what gears.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thought I put this in my post but I guess not. Can somebody tell me which solenoids shift what gears? I seen pictures that say intermediate and direct clutches but not sure what gears are what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.