My KC Turbo Results - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My KC Turbo Results

Some of you know I built my own Stage 1 turbo a year ago and it ran very well on both stock injectors and 190/50s. I had intentions of building my own 2.5 or Stage 3 turbo, but time started to be my enemy. I had even cobbled together many of the parts, but I was still not sure of what turbine size I wanted to use, except it would need to be larger than stock or the turbo would not support the larger 67.8x94mm compressor wheel. Then along came Charlie (the) Fish (Peixinho) with his turbo. I was initially drawn to the simplicity of the insert he had made for the compressor housing and the slightly larger, but higher flow turbine wheel. I had tossed around the idea of getting a Stage 3 from both Madpowerstroke and Barder, but both were waiting for parts and Charlie had one he needed testing on, so the deal was set.

It arrived in early December and I wasted little time giving it a spin, really!

Installation was as expected with no problems with any connections, except for the darn CCV, which just didn't want to go back in the valve cover with the new o-ring on it. Of course I also broke the VGT clips due to them becoming brittle over the past 7 years. :doh

The turbo came without a VGT, so I had to re-install my old one. This turned out to be point of frustration for the first few hours as the vanes would close, but would go back open and not close. This is an 07, so a turbo relearn should not have been required, even though I did let it idle for 5 minutes prior to taking it for a drive. I tried a number of tunes, including stock with none really curing the wandering vanes. If I shut it down and restarted, it seemed to work better, but it would still go toward open at idle. In any case, when I got back home I hooked up the AE and cycled the vanes about 20 times and it has worked fine since. It may have just been air in the hydraulics of the VGT.

So how does it run? I can say without a doubt that this turbo met or exceeded all of my expectation for operation. It spools as fast as stock or my stage 1 did. There has been no surging or barking at all. With the stock tune there is no smoke or haze and that surprised me given my 190/50s. With the Spartan Agg130 it was clean at WOT with slight hazing at the lower RPM under the turbo, less than my Stage 1 (my comparison to the old turbo result - this is the tune that used to give me the best mpg, empty or towing). There is a noticeable whistle at high idle and while driving at 1500-1800 RPM. The turbo and injector combination is pretty much smoke and haze free using any tune, even ones that are not the best for larger injectors. I have seen 40 psi boost on mid level and race tunes, including those from Wildman and Innovative. The race tunes showed lots of power, fairly low EGT (lower than what Charlie told me to expect), no smoke and no haze. However on one WOT run I saw vapour (white smoke at -25*C), coming out from under the truck. As it turns out, the degas was puking. It hasn't puked since, so I either have an impending problem or it was the cap malfunctioning. I have vacuum and pressure tested the system and it appears to be working correctly. I replaced the cap just so I can't blame it if it happens again.

The turbo definitely helps create more power, but traction was somewhat limited due to the cold temperature. I was a little surprised the wheels broke loose at 55 mph on a punch.

FWIW, I haven't seen a temperature over 1300..... yet

Charlie asked me to take it apart for some photos to ensure there were no problems. I was a bit hesitant since it is working so well. I did take it apart today and I can confirm that all the big parts are in great shape. The only issue that did come up was the compressor housing insert has an area where it had a small hole develop just outside of the compressor wheel radius. It was opposite the side where the clamps bit too deep into the aluminum insert for milling and was very thin in that area. I fixed the hole and do not expect it to be an issue going forward. Charlie did offer to send me another housing either now or later if required.

The specs on the turbo are:
67.8x94mm 11 blade extended tip billet comp wheel
new 2 piece insert for the compressor scroll
74x70mm proprietary turbine wheel
Turned out turbine housing to accept the larger wheel
All made from a rebuilt Powerstroke Turbo

Pictures to follow.

Cruise at 65 mph
william_ace and peixinho like this.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 01-06-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's a nice sexy turbo. Awesome results man
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad it is working for you, Charlie is a great guy, talk to him all the time. I'm also glad that there is another turbo option for the 68mm/94mm crowd that works well.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

What is cost for this compared to mow or barder? More or less?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Premium Member

frank, what all air flow modifications do you have done to the truck? ported intake manifold, aftermarket air filter/'cold air intake'... i assume exhaust of some sort, not that it makes a huge difference, im glad to hear that its cleaning up 190's well.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

4" turbo-back with muffler. Stock CAI

Still sitting on the shelf:
Ported Intake - Made last summer. Planned to go on when I replace the oil cooler, but the deltas have stayed at 8*.
AFE CAI - With the good reports and results with the stock one, it may never go on.

If the HGs show any more incidents, these and a few more goodies will go on as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

That turbos sweet !
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
What is cost for this compared to mow or Barder? More or less?
Depending on any refinements or design changes the ultimate price may change. However, there are less big new parts, so I suspect it will be lower. He mentioned a product may be available soon.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Frank,

What are those white spots on the turbine wheel? Snow, Salt... maybe magical fairy dust?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

metal shining through the soot i figured
The Following User Says Thank You to MyTractorsSexy For This Useful Post:
Pro fuzz (01-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.