DIY boosting FICM voltage, reliability, and horror stories - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY boosting FICM voltage, reliability, and horror stories

I've been reading a lot of very deep analysis of FICM operation and increasing FICM voltages. A lot of these discussions have contained warnings....but not stories.

Has anyone had any failures of a "hot" FICM(DIY or aftermarket)? Has anyone had injector failure(s) because of a "hot" FICM?

Why does it seem like 58V is the magic voltage?

This is why I'm asking, not to distract from the above questions...I just got an Edge insight and I've been monitoring battery voltage and FICM voltage. My batteries seem a little weak(3 years old) and my voltage after starting cold dips around 11V and my FICM voltage suffers, about 42v.

Thinking about upgrading the charging system and possibly increasing FICM output to the low to mid 50's. I just want to learn from other's experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your FICM voltage is dropping to 42 it needs repaired not just a voltage "upgrade". Anything under 45V is failed.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

but are the upgraded ficms having the same problems????
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM

Sounds like you probably need new batteries. Two batteries is much cheaper than a FICM and they're due for replacement anyway. I'd also test the alternator, also cheaper than a FICM if it tests bad. Before you go throwing almost $1000 at a FICM I'd start there.

But yes, per guidance from Ford and real world experience from guys and girls here, 45v constant is low, and 11v for batteries isn't good either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apcerame View Post
but are the upgraded ficms having the same problems????
Guys with upgraded FICMs don't have those problems. Mine is a brand new OEM with brand new batteries and never drops below 48.5 volts while running, typically stays at 49.5. Even on a startup it stays at 48.5.

With a hot FICM, 50v+, all you'll show is 50v on the Edge, that's all the truck reads.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New batteries are a given, I'm pretty proud of the interstates going three years with no problems especially with my driving habits and running my radio/lights with the engine off.

As for the alternator, I've read a little bit about it. Someone had said that it is the same one that is in the fusion. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to a higher output alternator and some better cabling. Any suggestions out there?

For the FICM, I'm thinking about going with the 48v BPD model. Its seems like the most recommended half shell. I'm not really buying into this 58V stuff……..it seems like if you wanted more fuel then injectors is the way to go.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 AM

The tuning of the FICM is what can also give the injectors more or less fuel.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out this website: FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair Ed has GREAT customer service, a VERY high quality product and FAST service. If you have any questions give him a call and he'll be more than glad t answer your concerns. I'm running his Ultra FICM. 49V constant even in this cold weather. Starting is MUCH improved. He has several levels of warranty and pricing and it's NOT just a resolder.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:10 AM

My thoughts is to somehow up the voltage and regulate it better going into the FICM. I have notice on my truck and others. FICM voltage is directly influenced from battery input voltage. I believe if a person could keep a steady 13.5 volts supply at all times. Even during start up. I believe the FICM would be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.