Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Warren diesel dual hpop & 275/100s/build/results

37K views 201 replies 34 participants last post by  Harrington Diesel 
#1 · (Edited)
All right fellas, I been tryin to get this thread goin for over a week now and finally got it today. First off ill say any time ur workin under the hood for an extended amount of time ....dis connect ur batteries so u dont have a fire works show. The install itself is pretty simple and self explanatory . You can install the line that feeds the test Port on the stock hpop with the turbo on but i feel it would be much easier with turbo off.

The first pump I got, I did not prime the pump properly and burnt the pump up. I filled the up the feeds the 2nd pump up with oil, and then filled the pump up and "thought" I had primed the pump. Turns out it was the wrong way. Sooooo.. New pump came in yesterday got it installed today. The proper way to prime the pump is to have your line from oil pan to 2nd pump all snugged up, rotate the pump pulley clock wise until you have pulled oil from your oil pan until you have oil comin out of discharge side of pump, tighten your discharge line down and crack the fittin where it ties into your test port , continue to rotate pump clockwise until you have oil bleeding out of fitting at test port , tighten down fittin and your system is primed. Start truck let idle for a few mins the crack the fittin on discharge side of pump to make sure the pump is actuly pumpin

There are two check valves in the system, one is btween the oil pan and the 2nd pump to prevent the pump from losin prime while truck sits for a period of time, picture shown below for this one,
The other check valve is located btween discharge of 2nd pump and test port on stock hpop. This prevents the stock hpop from feedin back to th 2nd externally mounted pump. Picture comin soon. Forgot to take this one

I will say having electric fans made this job super easy. The agravitng part was getting the hard line tied into test port with turbo on. For results I have not hard proof on paper yet, but the truck feels a lil more lively and seems to pull a bit stronger . I will say my icp v is still not reading fulll @WOT. It's fluctuating . So I'm not sure if my tuning is fooling the icp voltage reading or not. ????

The 275/100s are super hot @Wot. I need some more airflow for sure.... Although I have no real data yet for results , they will be coming soon, I will be headin back to local 1/8 mile track to see if I can get the truck to get below the 7.70s in the 86-88mph range it ran for a good part of this year. And I will be headin back up to innovatives dyno wen time allows to see if I can smash my measly 571 hp pull I did in the spring. I will spray on the dyno this time ,didn't have any n2o with me last time, lookin for big #'s on fuel and spray this time. Hopin for mid to high 600s on fuel and high 700s or maybe break 800 on the spray. Hi expectations can be a killer some times. I've learned tho expect the worst and pray for the best.

I will try to answer any questions you guys have and open to suggestions. I'm goin to get the other Charlie to post my pix for me n just a few

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This is how the IC was to start with

Below is the pic of the supply to the 2nd pump

Below is the pic of the filter between the pan and the check valve

Below is the pic of the check valve between the oil pan and the pump

Below is the New updated pump with larger shaft and bearing

Below is the oil line from the pan feeding the bottom of the pump

Below is a pic of the Pump installed

Now you can see the finished product

#3 ·
Thanks Charlie(s)!! Lol. Can't wait for results...good pics. That looks nice and clean...Charlie, you should also mention that your turbo is a larger non vgt, so the piping differs slightly from how it'd be with a OEM style vgt...correct?

How high are the egt's? Is the boost the same...just curious if that would be effected by better atomization from better ICP. I need to finally come see that thing here soon.

#5 ·
Thanks, my hot side IC pipe is temporary, I had to throw something together to at least drive the truck. And yes it's a 71mm non vgt Borg Warner turbo. Piping is way diff than stock config. It's very similar to the aroura 5000, or k31 frame, s371, small frame charger. What ever u wanna call it. I wanna move up to an S480,

Egts don't stop until u let out. Lol. Kind of scary. Maybe nitrous will cool intake tems enuf to cool it down a lil. Haven't drive the truck but maybe 30 mins today. And didn't even look at boost gauge then. Was focused on icp v , and egts

And yes u need to come on up here and go for a ride n the near future! Or jus wait till the track opens back up! Up to you

#4 ·
subscribed

#8 ·
Charlie (Peixinho)...compounds on this charlie's (6lchevyeater) would be a great comparo to your truck if you stick with a large vgt, as reference to all the goings on in the compound theory thread. Weren't you talking about going with a very similar injector and dual pump setup? I think you mentioned running smaller nozzles than 6lchevyeater is running...which is probably also why his egt's run away. From what peixino has posted from warren about nozzle flow rates... I'd be inclined to assume that the 100 nozzles are probably dumping almost all of the 275cc's worth of fuel...which is a lot of fuel Lol.

#7 ·
I would love to have an 88 over that 71, I think it be a monster, I've spoke with the guy who built his charger set up for me and he said the turbo combo with the amount of fuel ther should make around 100 psi of boost. Dunno how true it is........ But I like the simplicity of a single. Not a lot of xtra under the hood. Ill jus spray my extra fuel away. Lol. I likes the n20 hahahah

#10 ·
Warren tilde me that a 100% nozzle will flow a full 275cc @2.4 ms pw with full icp. Don't quote me on that but think that's what I was told

#12 ·
And Hohn yea . I forgot to say in my original post. The belt tensioner must come off to install the pump bracket to the motor.. Just wanted to added that in there

#14 ·
This will be interesting, single charlie vs compound charlie, maybe you two can merge threads once both trucks are running up to par. Those pictures were awesome! Good write up. Makes me want to do a dual pump now

#17 ·
Can anyone who knows the ends and outs of tuning please chime in and tell me if tuning can fool icp and icp v readings on my CTS?

The other Charlie is goin to post a couple mre pix of discharge on 2nd pump and he check valve between the 2nd pump and the test port. Thanks Charlie !!!

#20 ·
Well I knew the dual pump set up didn't wake the truck up like it was suppose to so we done a lil digging and tied a manual gauge into the icp port to check icp accurately. I was disappointed to say the least. Icp spiked @2800psi and fell back to 2200-2400psi after a shift.
The icp voltage before the dual pump was 2.1 and now with it is 2.8 @ WOT. So I'm pretty sure I have an issue with something else some where. Not exactly sure yet. So the new pump has increased it some but has not made it to full potential yet. I ordered a new IPR valve hopin that will fix my problem. Any sugestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

#21 ·
It would be really be ideal to gauge the new pump before the check valve, if you could find a location for it.

Just thinking out loud, but if there were flow restrictions in the filter or check valve the pump would have a hard time making the flow and pressure requirements. How is your fuel system holding out? What has Warren suggested?

#23 ·
I may look into that.
That's good thinking. I have been thinkn about tying into the test port for the low psi oil to feed the 2nd pump with pressurized oil, but I dunno if that would rob to much oil from the motor itself?

For the fuel system I built my own using an A1000 pump and filter base from napa and napa filters. It has been flawless so far......

I haven't had a chance to talk to warren since we manually checked the icp

#25 ·
I think changing the ipr valve is a good first step. If that doesnt do it, id say your OEM hpop could be weak. I just got that auto enginuity stuff from a member on here, haven't used it yet, but if it'll help the diagnosis out we can try to figure it out. I'll hit you up in a few, might take a ride out your way today to check out that 71mm.

#26 ·
Ite sounds good. My friend has that program also but his lap top is messed up at the moment. We were goin to check the duty cycle on the IPR . I've read it's suppose to 24-26% at idle wen motor is warm

#28 ·
Well, here's a lil updated to the thread, pulled the hpop jus to check things out and see what was goin on down there and found the truck still had the Old style 2 pc. STC fittin and the oring where it feeds the branch tubes was blown out. The STC fittin was worn pretty bad had a lot of play in the fittin. Also the new IPR came in today and picked up the new Stc fittin from ford today. Hopin within the next day or to we can get it put back together and do a psi test on the HPO system to check the pump and see if there's anymore leaks anywhere else. Hopefully after the psi test I won't have to replace the the HPOP. We shall see over the next few days. When it all goes back together full ICP will occur. Lol. What I'm hopin for anyways! The other Charlie is goin to post a pix for me of the new & old style fitting and the bad oring I found beside a new one. Thanks Charlie !

#32 ·
How are you going to test it, with shop air ?

#30 ·
that will for sure make a difference im ready to see how much of a difference.

#33 ·
Yes shop air^^^^^

Well got everything put back together yesterday, psi test and all went good, install back together was smooth, take the truck for a ride and my readings are almost identical as before on the cts........Got me a lil puzzled, but anyways got a few more things I'm gona try too see if we can get it all dialed in. More to come soon, stay tuned

#35 ·
Yes the mechanical gauge was a temporary thing. When I feel the truck is at full ICP we will prolly tie the mechanical gauge back it for a test run on the street.. I think we've narrowed it down to the 2nd pump being weak or the in line filter is causing enough restriction to not allow the pump to push the proper amount of oil... Hopefully have all of it worked out by end of week....... Hopefully. I will update when I get results of what the prob is

#36 ·
We'll, I'm sad to say but taking the inline filter out didn't make one bit of difference . Only thing else I can think it would be is a weak 2nd pump???? Any one else got any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.