Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Black rims in the winter???

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jonnysteals 
#1 ·
So guys, I am thinking about getting 24" KMC Rockstars (black) with Kuhmo 38" tires for my truck. My question is, I live in MN where EVERYTHING rusts and corrodes in the winter (which lasts for like 6 months now). I have never had black rims before, but all of my other chrome or polished rims start to pit and corrode during the winter. So for anybody that may have black rims like the rockstars, do you have any problems with them getting crappy during the winter months?? I believe that the rockstars are more of a powdercoated black rim as opposed to alot of other rims... Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys

#5 ·
It has gotten down into the 60s since I bought my black ProComps and they did fine! :rofl::hehe::rofl::hehe:

#7 ·
60's????? Oh man how are you surviving... :) I am talking more like -30 -40 in January... Salt ALL over the roads with snow and dirty slush all over your truck ALL winter long. And then when you do wash your truck, as soon as you leave the driveway it looks like it was never washed... Every year I get older I want to move somewhere where nobody even knows what real winter is... Like Cali :)

#11 ·
im kinda worried about it. im gonna talk to some people and if it comes down to it ill throw the stock wheels back on during winter. it will look dumb with 6 inches of lift ridin on 33's but o well i dont think they should be that bad because of the powercoat but idk yet...

#9 ·
Keep em sprayed off and I would not worry about them...the powder coating on the KMC wheels is pretty dang good....and if you ahve real issues then they will cover it with their warrenty...they are very good with claims.

#13 ·
I dont know about the rockstars but my buddy has used the tflon coated American Eagle rims for a while in the winter with great success. he rarely ahs to clean them as well. I am using my diamo rims because they are already half pitted. I might have them powder coated balck once they get too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.