NO PERFORMANCE-HELP!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NO PERFORMANCE-HELP!!!!!

I am having some issue and need advice. I have a 2006 F-350 and have made some mods and am not getting the gains I expected.Let me start from the beginning.

Truck was stock for a while then decided to get more power, installed an Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude , Magnaflow 4" full exhaust and K&N intake. The truck ran amazing, the acceleration was greatly improved , good smoke and overall I was very pleased.

About a month later while driving the turbo shaft snapped. well I am firm believer that when something breaks, go bigger and better. I bought a BD thruster turbo, it came with a boost builder and VGT fooler.

Well the first issue I had was excessive black smoke out the exhaust, with the stock unit it used to smoke, but this was huge, like a D9 tractor. Next it started throwing codes. Turbo under boost, FICM low volatge. I replaced the EGR as it was completely blocked, and disconnected the boost builder. This solved the smoking.

I am still getting P0299- Turbocharger underboost and the truck has no acceleration now, the low end is horrible. The truck doesn't get going till around 2600rpm, and really gets going after it up shifts to 2nd.

My boost according to the Edge is 26psi max and EGTs are between 100-1200 degrees. my 0-60 times have gained 2-3 secs since swapping turbos.

I am now at my wits end, can anyone advise me where to go from here, i love the truck and want to have my performance. I was told that the Edge cannot work t=with this turbo and I need to ditch it for an SCT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffi View Post
I am having some issue and need advice. I have a 2006 F-350 and have made some mods and am not getting the gains I expected.Let me start from the beginning.

Truck was stock for a while then decided to get more power, installed an Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude , Magnaflow 4" full exhaust and K&N intake. The truck ran amazing, the acceleration was greatly improved , good smoke and overall I was very pleased.

About a month later while driving the turbo shaft snapped. well I am firm believer that when something breaks, go bigger and better. I bought a BD thruster turbo, it came with a boost builder and VGT fooler.

Well the first issue I had was excessive black smoke out the exhaust, with the stock unit it used to smoke, but this was huge, like a D9 tractor. Next it started throwing codes. Turbo under boost, FICM low volatge. I replaced the EGR as it was completely blocked, and disconnected the boost builder. This solved the smoking.

I am still getting P0299- Turbocharger underboost and the truck has no acceleration now, the low end is horrible. The truck doesn't get going till around 2600rpm, and really gets going after it up shifts to 2nd.

My boost according to the Edge is 26psi max and EGTs are between 100-1200 degrees. my 0-60 times have gained 2-3 secs since swapping turbos.

I am now at my wits end, can anyone advise me where to go from here, i love the truck and want to have my performance. I was told that the Edge cannot work t=with this turbo and I need to ditch it for an SCT?
SCT would be the way to go. How much bigger is the new turbo compared to the stock one? You might need to upgrade other things to get the performance you want.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Yes you definately need different programming with that turbo
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yes you definately need different programming with that turbo
Thats what I was beginning to think, guess i will start looking at SCT and i now have an Edge for sale. why didn't they tell me this when i bought unit
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The VGT fooler is what BD called their programming
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffi View Post
Thats what I was beginning to think, guess i will start looking at SCT and i now have an Edge for sale. why didn't they tell me this when i bought unit
Because they wanted to make a sale. If they had told you, you wouldn't have bit.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mabye the vgt fooler is throwing a code?

My friend has a dodge and he has stuff done to it, including a edge juice with attitude...and he put a bigger turbo on and also did a boost fooler..and the truck had no power, so he brought it to a truck shop and they disconnected the boost fooler and now its an amazing truck..i forget what they said but it had something to do with the boost fooler and the edge didnt work together or something

Last edited by 04stroke; 09-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stroke View Post
Mabye the vgt fooler is throwing a code?

My friend has a dodge and he has stuff done to it, including a edge juice with attitude...and he put a bigger turbo on and also did a boost fooler..and the truck had no power, so he brought it to a truck shop and they disconnected the boost fooler and now its an amazing truck..i forget what they said but it had something to do with the boost fooler and the edge didnt work together or something
I have removed boost builder as that was making truck smoke excessively and throwing codes. But i am still disappointed with performance. I am going to disconnect edge and make truck stock with just BD mods and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.