65 hp Quadzilla install woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
65 hp Quadzilla install woes

So I bought a Quadzilla Xzilleraider XZT 65 hp module from here on the forum! So thrilled - got a killer deal! Got home and started the install - all went well until... the ICP sensor .

I called Quadzilla - talked to the tech - he assured me - just like the instruction manual said - on the '03 (what I have - '03 6.0) laying on your back - under the engine - remove 3 bolts and the ICP sensor is right there - well - laying on my back - no where on the engine under, above, around, sides - anywhere is a 6" plate with 3 bolts!

So on Saturday - I went to Trick Trucks in Waldorf - they didnt know either and tried to get me to swap to a Banks system. I said no.

I then called a buddy of mine that works at Waldorf Ford - he said that sensor is nearly under the turbo and is a big deal to get to - not to mention how hot the engine is - have to wait for the engine to cool before attempting - and by the way - there was a recall on the ICP sensor - did you know? (nope).

So now at work - still with my Quadzilla half installed (and Q Tech promissing me that no harm is being done to my truck without the module and partial install complete - honestly its driving fine) - what now? Wait another week before my buddy can tear half my engine appart just to get to the ICP - now for recall and for the Quadzilla?

Is this 65hp Quadzilla going to be worth the headache? Trick Trucks says that Q is the only manufacturer he knows that even fools with the ICP - most dont? Is that true? Why Qualdzilla then if so?

What was a great deal on a user installable system is becoming an expensive headache! (Not by any means fault of the one that sold it to me - the customer relation was bar none excellent)

My question now is do I just sell it to another Powerstroker with hopefully more mechanical capability then I and buy a different tuner or should I complete the install on this one? I'm not looking for 200hp boost - 65 is fine with me - but the trouble - becoming a bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
JUST GET A SCT WITH SOME TUNES ON IT

ITS WAY EASIER TO INSTALL AND ALSO YOU DONT HAVE TO GET DIRTY
Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDPOWERSMOKER View Post
JUST GET A SCT WITH SOME TUNES ON IT

ITS WAY EASIER TO INSTALL AND ALSO YOU DONT HAVE TO GET DIRTY
What is the install on the SCT? I should have researched the install on the Quadzilla before I dropped the cash!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The SCT plugs into the OBD port under the steering column, just plug in and program. It takes only about 3-5 min. and away you go.
Sorry to hear about your problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 AM

I recently had to replace the ICP on my 2003. The plate which they are talking about it on the back of the engine towards the top above the bell housing. This is what I did to replace it. Of course you just need to access it, but the process is the same. Yes, it needs to be done with the truck cold or you'll cook yourself.

If the plate isn't there, perhaps a previous owner removed it to replace the ICP and didn't re-install the plate. In that case you should be able to see or feel the sensor. IMHO, if you have to remove the cover, and the ICP hasn't been replaced, you may want to think of replacing it before it goes bad while you're in there.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 AM

I got the whole Quadzilla shipped for $104 - was a great deal especially since new they sell for $400+ What a pain.

the person whom sold it to me - awesome - incase they are reading this - by no means upset with them! Just frustrated with Quadzilla right now. and its typical of the messes I get in. I can find great deals but usually bomb in something unforseen associated on the rear of that great deal. Frustrating.

See - I'm by no means a mechanic - the Quadzilla install papers said I needed 1/4" ratches for the install - I had to buy that stuff. I just wanted a simple install thats all. Simple install - great results. Not what I got.

Should have spent the extra for the SCT.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
I got the whole Quadzilla shipped for $104 - was a great deal especially since new they sell for $400+ What a pain.

the person whom sold it to me - awesome - incase they are reading this - by no means upset with them! Just frustrated with Quadzilla right now. and its typical of the messes I get in. I can find great deals but usually bomb in something unforseen associated on the rear of that great deal. Frustrating.

See - I'm by no means a mechanic - the Quadzilla install papers said I needed 1/4" ratches for the install - I had to buy that stuff. I just wanted a simple install thats all. Simple install - great results. Not what I got.

Should have spent the extra for the SCT.
At least you only spent 104., the other point about the SCT is that it will be a lot nicer to you tranny.
Once you load the SCT it only takes 2-3 min. to switch tunes. I have no experience with the Quad., but I do like the convienence with the SCT.
I carry it with me all the time, and run Innovatives Xtreme Race as my daily custom tune.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 AM

Alright -

So the Quadzilla is going on e-bay tonight. How do I get a SCT. Alot of people sell them - who do I buy from? Which model do I get. Lastly - who writes the tunes. I dont want problems - I want better mileage with more moderate power. Less downshifting (torqueshift trans) - better mileage, EGT's. Slowly building up my truck with power but still ahve stock airbox, stock exhaust. NO money to go crazy and swap everything out all at once.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
Alright -

So the Quadzilla is going on e-bay tonight. How do I get a SCT. Alot of people sell them - who do I buy from? Which model do I get. Lastly - who writes the tunes. I dont want problems - I want better mileage with more moderate power. Less downshifting (torqueshift trans) - better mileage, EGT's. Slowly building up my truck with power but still ahve stock airbox, stock exhaust. NO money to go crazy and swap everything out all at once.
Raul with Stealth Auto. is a vendor here. I think you can order his and get tunes by Innovative.
Leave everything the same on your truck and add the tuner, you will want to get at least a pyro gauge for EGT temps. After these two mods then decide if you want to add CAI, exhaust, ect.
As far as mileage goes it's probably not going to increase a whole lot if any. Your tranny will be tuned depending on what tune you choose, towing, race, street, etc.
Good luck and Happy Motoring.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 AM

I feel for you buddy. I pulled my turbo (for the first time ever) this weekend to gain access to the ICP. My main goal was to plug my Commander into the ICP, but thought I may be able to swap out the ICP as well if it is leaking.

I wanted to know how to pull the turbo, so I went that route even though I was told previously how to get at the ICP from under the truck.

It turned out that my ICP was, in fact, leaking oil and in need of replacement. When I got the turbo out, I was able to reach back and unplug the ICP and plug in my HPOP gauge connector, but I didn't have enough clearance to get a wrench on the ICP to take it out, and I couldn't see the darn thing to visually inspect it either. When I reached back and touched it, it was all oily, and the connector and heat sleeve around it were also coated with oil. I could actually squeeze oil out of the heat sleeve.

So since I couldn't figure out how to get a wrench or socket on it from the topside and I needed my truck anyway, I put the turbo back in. Now I plan to find a good deal on a new ICP and connector, and try to swap them in from underneath the truck. I hope that I can jack the truck up enough so that I can actually sit upright to do the work.

I'm not looking forward to it. However, looking at the bright side, at least I now know the ICP needs replacement and I can do so before it actually causes me any running issues.

Last edited by w_huisman; 08-25-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.