EGR Rupture... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Rupture...

... started having to add a couple gallons distilled water every day . My DJ's plug in SCT gauge would put my coolant at 220, fan would engage (whirring sound). Add coolant, be back to normal. Set er back to stock, still lost coolant. Drove the 400 miles home, adding coolant, dropped it off at the Ford shop, they diagnosed the egr being ruptured, replaced it under warranty less my deductible.
Question, will the EGR delete prevent this from reoccuring???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Yes, if it's deleted, not just blocked.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So will the EGR cooler bypass. Once that is done, the EGR cooler is simply another piece of tubing for your coolant.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by richc22a View Post
... started having to add a couple gallons distilled water every day . My DJ's plug in SCT gauge would put my coolant at 220, fan would engage (whirring sound). Add coolant, be back to normal. Set er back to stock, still lost coolant. Drove the 400 miles home, adding coolant, dropped it off at the Ford shop, they diagnosed the egr being ruptured, replaced it under warranty less my deductible.
Question, will the EGR delete prevent this from reoccuring???
if you just block the cooler off then no it won't prevent it from reoccuring. If you go with firstcoastdieselperformance's (a true complete egr delete kit) kit then yes it will prevent it from ever happening again.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
if you just block the cooler off then no it won't prevent it from reoccuring. If you go with firstcoastdieselperformance's (a true complete egr delete kit) kit then yes it will prevent it from ever happening again.
Is this a question of semantics? Blocking the exhaust feed into the cooler WILL prevent this from recurring. The coolant by itself does not contain enough heat or pressure to rupture the EGR cooler. It's the exhaust heat and pressure that ruptures these things! Sheesh!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 AM

Some guys have still had EGR cooler problems after blocking off the exhaust because there EGR cooler was already damaged or starting to crack prior to blocking it off. And it should still get very hot at the spot where the exhaust is blocked off. The only 100% way of it not happening is not having an EGR cooler at all.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6.0 View Post
Some guys have still had EGR cooler problems after blocking off the exhaust because there EGR cooler was already damaged or starting to crack prior to blocking it off. And it should still get very hot at the spot where the exhaust is blocked off. The only 100% way of it not happening is not having an EGR cooler at all.
I agree!! Pain in the ARSS though, I have all my stuff, just actually haven't started taking stuff off yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it's not likely but it could rupture from heat again...since it is still there. From what I've read in some of Adam's posts the heat can still transfer through the "block off plate".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.