can '05 6.0L be made reliable, or swap to Cummins? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can '05 6.0L be made reliable, or swap to Cummins?

Hi guys. I have a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0L Powerstroke. Is it possible to make this engine reliable? It's all stock right now.

I am trying to decide between modding this engine for reliability and more power, or swapping in a Common Rail Cummins. I have an F-350 that's had 3 turbos, several replaced injectors, and just had to get head bolts replaced at the dealership, so I really do not trust the 6.0L in stock form.

Besides head studs, what else should be done to a 6.0L? Also, is it possible to get the dealership to replace the head bolts under warranty, even though the truck isn't showing symptoms yet (only has 18,000 miles)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
Mine is going to be tunerless with Spartan 150cc injectors, and a 62mm Fixed Geometry turbo shortly. I already have all of the other mods to help with reliability such as EGR delete, CCV Reroute, throttle body delete, etc. The injectors and turbo are the last weak points that I know of, aside from head studs. The good thing about the fixed geometry turbo is that it lowers back pressure and reduces combustion pressures/temperatures which could make life a little easier on the head bolts.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Headstuds and EGR block should make it reliable. The biggest thing to keeping the 6.0 reliable is getting it serviced regularly.

Last edited by 2005F250; 08-17-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM

What is the EGR Delete? How can I do the EGR delete?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, if I keep the 6.0L I'm going to get ATS headstuds and new gaskets, and an up pipe with EGR pipe delete for reliability. The engine will not blow gaskets with these mods? What about the injector and turbo failures? Has anyone found firerings to be needed?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
OK, if I keep the 6.0L I'm going to get ATS headstuds and new gaskets, and an up pipe with EGR pipe delete for reliability. The engine will not blow gaskets with these mods? What about the injector and turbo failures? Has anyone found firerings to be needed?
I don't know to much about ATS studs. Majority of people here run ARP studs. Not saying ATS is bad, just haven't heard to much about them. EGR block or delete will help. I don't think firerings are worth it. I haven't heard of anyone having HG issues after installing ARP's. The HG's go on these trucks because the heads simply just "lift" off the block thus causing the HG failure. For the EGR you can get a block off plate to go in the uppipe or just remove the whole system and bypass the cooling line. As for the turbo and injectors if you just keep your truck serviced regulary they should be fine. Like changing the oil every 3K-4K miles. And to keep the turbo from sticking just get on it a couple of times everytime its out when its safe for other drivers and yourself.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 AM

From what I have read on this forum, you don’t really need to do head studs if you keep it stock. It only becomes a reliably problem when you start throwing power mods to it. I think the 6.0's are most reliable when they are left completely stock, and serviced regularly like 2005f250 said
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW794 View Post
From what I have read on this forum, you don’t really need to do head studs if you keep it stock. It only becomes a reliably problem when you start throwing power mods to it. I think the 6.0's are most reliable when they are left completely stock, and serviced regularly like 2005f250 said
It never hurts to put stronger parts on the 6.0. Most relaible at stock to me is a yes and no anwser. Yes it will be more reliable if its a daily driver that does light towing rather than a daily driver that is tuned. But if its a work horse then you might run into problems. Example, My truck is stock right now and has been stock for a long time and the EGR cooler broke while I was towing a 10K lb. load. My cousins stock F550 is a heavy hauler and it's on the 3rd engine within 125K miles and so far it's had the water pump replaced and maybe the HG's within 7K miles. The other 2 engines had there issues as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Major Problems with the 05 6.0s:

1. EGR Cooler Failure-Deleting the EGR system completely is a recommended step.
2. Injectors- Tend to have problems with sticking and failing, again regular maintenance is the key there.
3. HPOP/LPOP- Key maintenence
4. Head Studs- Can be replaced under warranty, depends on the dealer/customer relationship you have with yours. ARP studs with stock OEM gaskets will be plenty good for Tuner, Turbo, Slight injectors, and nitrous/water meth.

I am a firm believer that once the EGR system is completely taken off of these trucks and the head studs are replaced that they are truely just as reliable as the 7.3. But the key is regular mainentance, oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and the fuel and tranny filters all need to be changed often as well. These trucks treat you like you treat them. If you run the piss out of them and don't service'em then they will give you all kinds of problems and nickel and dime your butt to the bank. But if you take care of them and don't rag the crap out it you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, this engine is in a 2005 Excursion, so I believe it's the same as the 6.0s that were used in 2004 SuperDutys, not 05s...they didn't update stuff for the Ex in 05.

I just used it to tow a trailer from Georgia to Montana, and when I got back there was oil all over under the hood. What's the deal with that? Attached pics...big pic in gallery. This is at 18,000 miles, and I have about a year left until the engine warranty expires, so that's why I am concerned with reliability...don't want to put money into something that's just going to screw up down the road. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
can '05 6.0L be made reliable, or swap to Cummins?-1.jpg   can '05 6.0L be made reliable, or swap to Cummins?-2.jpg  

Last edited by Totenkopf; 08-17-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.