Normal Gauge Readings? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hubbard, Texas
Posts: 1,114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Normal Gauge Readings?

I ended up getting the Edge Juice with Attitude for my truck. It came in yesterday and I got it installed. I have it set where it shows my EGT's and Boost. Im wondering what is the normal reading for them and what is the max on the EGT's that i dont want to see. How accurate do you think the boost reading is? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Unapologetically American


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 19,804
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your EGT's shouldn't hit 1250* for sustained amounts of time (pulling a long hill, or something). I've hit over 1600* in my truck, but it was for a short time, and have heard other guys hitting 1800-2000* . I haven't seen my boost higher than 27PSI. I wouldn't want to hit that pressure for extended times either, because of the risk of lifting a head, and typically high EGT's are accompanied by high boost and creates a LOT of pressure in the cylinders. I'm not sure how accurate the boost measuement is.

Be careful with the tranny (assuming its an auto), I've read bad things about Edge and autos. This is the reason I'm running the SCT
Hope that helps

P.S I have auto meter gauges on my truck, not a monitor. fyi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,348
Thanks: 126
Thanked 130 Times in 115 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
1250 and under is fine for EGT's. Short bursts over 1250 are ok as long as they arent sustained. As to boost that number varies by the tune. Trans temps try not to go over 215 anything hotter than that it can start to cook the fluid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hubbard, Texas
Posts: 1,114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Your EGT's shouldn't hit 1250* for sustained amounts of time (pulling a long hill, or something). I've hit over 1600* in my truck, but it was for a short time, and have heard other guys hitting 1800-2000* . I haven't seen my boost higher than 27PSI. I wouldn't want to hit that pressure for extended times either, because of the risk of lifting a head, and typically high EGT's are accompanied by high boost and creates a LOT of pressure in the cylinders. I'm not sure how accurate the boost measuement is.

Be careful with the tranny (assuming its an auto), I've read bad things about Edge and autos. This is the reason I'm running the SCT
Hope that helps

P.S I have auto meter gauges on my truck, not a monitor. fyi
Your right about the tranny. Last night I had it on extreme and put my foot in it. It made my tranny slip and wouldnt shift. I had to shut down the truck and restart. I wont be doing that again. I see now why i was advised to get a custom tuner so the transmission will take it. Ill run this for a wile and then probably upgrade. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Unapologetically American


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 19,804
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuesse View Post
Your right about the tranny. Last night I had it on extreme and put my foot in it. It made my tranny slip and wouldnt shift. I had to shut down the truck and restart. I wont be doing that again. I see now why i was advised to get a custom tuner so the transmission will take it. Ill run this for a wile and then probably upgrade. Thanks for the help.
I hope that nothing was damaged.

When you get an SCT , it not only tunes your engine, but also does your trans (I know mine does from Innovative diesel anyway). I got the Extreme race custom tune for my truck, and it is enough power to make your butt pucker :burnout, and I have never felt the tranny do anything it wasn't suppose to. I had a friend that has an edge, but his truck is a 6spd, and he hasn't had any issues with his
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,359
Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my suggestion is to just take it off completely or leave it on level 0 for just gauges.....

it might only take a lil while to burn up your trans...

sell it and get yourself a SCT

-Raul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hubbard, Texas
Posts: 1,114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow this sucks to read all of this. Why does edge do so good if they burn up trannys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,348
Thanks: 126
Thanked 130 Times in 115 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuesse View Post
Wow this sucks to read all of this. Why does edge do so good if they burn up trannys?
Because they advertise on just about every page of every diesel mag you can find. Their success is in their advertising budget. Just like Gale Banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gods Country/Home
Posts: 1,694
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Because they advertise on just about every page of every diesel mag you can find. Their success is in their advertising budget. Just like Gale Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors