water/meth questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water/meth questions

hey guys, im looking into the snow stage 3 water/meth kit. i like the fact that i can use that controller for my gauges and i wont have to mount gauges anywere in my truck plus the controller seems like it controls the injection very well. however id like to better understand the real pros and cons of the system and would like to know how long it takes to install. last question is, should i get the cfm large mouth intake along with this kit so i dont have to drill and tap the stock elbow and wouldnt the cfm intake make some more power. thanks for the help. oh and were do you get the meth to mix with the water and how long would a 7 gallon tank last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM

sorry theres so many questions in there.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 AM

come on i know someone wants to chime in
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM

got cha covered...

you're right the kit is a very nice "stand alone" style unit, meaning just set it up and go. it's your best option from what you're saying as far as an all in one unit for gauges. as far as install i'd say with the pre-tapped CFM you'd be looking around 3hrs or so. most of the time is in routing wires and cleaning things up. i woudl suggest either one of the CFMs they are both going to suite your needs. a 7gal container used under normal driving conditions can last up to 4-5 tanks fulls of diesel. as for the mix you cna use HEET and water to mix or you can just get the pre mixed boost juice made by Snow.

let me know if i can help w/ anything else
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM

These are some answers I got from snow perf regarding the max-mpg package they sell (similar to the stage 3 i think). I haven't done it yet but will be soon.

You can download the manual with instructions for install from snowperfs website (good manual) the time to install is going to depend on you, the tools you have etc.

----- answers i got from Greg Dunn, Director of Operations at Snow Performance ----

Quote:

The system doesn’t inject 100% of the time, and it varies the amount that is injected through the 175ml/min nozzle – just like your fuel injectors have a certain capacity, at idle, they aren’t delivering full injection volume.

A 7 gallon reservoir should last about a tank to two tanks of diesel fuel under light driving. Under towing conditions when we are using the 175 plus the 375 or 625 (or all three if you are making big power) the tank should still last about a tank of diesel, except that your diesel mileage and therefore range is likewise reduced.

Concerns about pooling/quenching – not at all. If the system is set up correctly, so that it doesn’t overinject (our instructions and techs can help you start out right in the ballpark) you won’t have problems at any other time. I wouldn’t jump on the throttle in the first 5 sec of operation, but it won’t hurt anything. If the engine is running, there is more than enough heat and pressure in the combustion chamber to consume water-methanol. We are getting 20-70 micron droplets for atomization – unless something is terribly incorrect in the installation, those droplets won’t puddle or drop out of suspension, etc.

You will benefit in terms of MPG without your foot in it as well as in it – with this understanding: your mileage will be better driving easy or hard, than it was without the injection. If you could do a whole tank at full throttle without the water-methanol and then one with the water-methanol, you would see a large improvement in mileage overall, even though it would be a huge drop from light-throttle mileage. That is essentially the situation when we are injecting while towing – much greater load and injection volumes, larger percentage increase in mileage (2mpg increase at 10mpg is greater % than 2mpg at 18mpg)

It does include the temp probe with the system, as well as the tap for the injector nozzles and the probe (at least on the newest kits we are shipping have the correct tap for both applications).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 AM

thanks guys that pretty much answers my questions. my only concern is the boost juice is 30 per gallon so it would cost me 210 for every 2 tanks of diesel. sounds expensive.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM

nope it's $30 for a case of 4 bottles.

Snow Performance Boost Juice - SP40008
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 AM

ohh ok nice. what is the deal with HEET? can you buy this a regular store? and can i only use the water/meth when i choose to? can i turn it on and off whenever.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Emergency Services

Water/Meth

I have a snow performance water/meth kit on my idi and it does help with power and egts. If you want a good mix of meth and water on the cheap, just go to your local parts store and buy some windsheild washer fluid. Premixed and prepackaged, cheap and easy to get anywhere. Works great, been using it for 2 years now. The winter grade stuff works the best, but anything with the jolly roger on the side has meth in it.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Emergency Services

Water/Meth

I forget to mention, yes you can turn it off when you don't want to run it. Simple toggle switch does the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.