How is this supposed to work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How is this supposed to work

I loaded ID's SCT Tow tune with Brake (poor man's Jake Brake) and nothing happens on deceleration... Go up to 60mph take my foot off the gas depress the brake and the RPMs drop down under 1000 and no compression braking occurs all the way down to stop.

If I press the Tow-Haul button then it acts like it did with the stock tune. The tranny comes out of OD. The TC stays locked up and the VGT enabled compression brake comes on. How is this supposed to be different than the stock program as far as the turbo-brake goes? It did that much with the the stock program. I'm confused.

When it's out of Tow-Haul mode it acts pretty much like the Economy tune except the shift points are much higher... not as much as with the stock tow-haul button pressed... maybe 2200 to 2300 rpm shift points. It also doesn't seem to go into lockup any differently than Economy. Another thing that surprised me is that the shifts are really soft. I thought they'd be firmer for Tow mode.

I thought I might have the wrong program so I emailed Eric and he sent me another. Did the same thing.

I'm towing the camper on a trip tomorrow and admittedly I should have tried the tow mode sooner but I'd just like to hear how it's worked for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

I have never used ID's tunes, so I am not gonna be any help

but here is a free bump
Old 08-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Anybody have ID's Tow-brake tune who can tell me how it works for them?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just USED mine for the first time this weekend and it worked great! I'm very happy with it.

I press the tow/haul mode, and it does the factory tranny downshifting, and you can see and hear the turbo vanes open. I was pulling about 6k, and drove down a 7% grade, and never touched the brakes, and kept it at a steady 42-43 MPH. Hope that helps. Eric is a good guy, tell him what issues you think your having, and see what he says.

FWIW my truck doesn't do the turbo braking when I don't have the tow tune downloaded
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I experienced the same issues with the spartan tune with brake. It kind of sounded like it was doing something, but its hard to hear through stock exhaust, and it didn't feel any different than just regular tow/haul mode. I cant say anything about erics tune like that, but I have erics standard agressive towing for 10K+lbs and I like that a lot. Good power and awesome shifting. I dont have the turbo brake on that one though.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm probably not the best source for this, seeing I dont have the turbo brake for my tow tunes. But on my truck when I put it in tow/haul it does nothing to the turbo. The tranny will downshift but nothing happens to the turbo vanes. So if your truck is closing the VGT vanes when in tow/haul I would think its doing what is suppose to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.