SCT or Intake & Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT or Intake & Exhaust

Ok, I have an extra $500 bucks to spend on the truck........Im wanna know which will benefit me more right now. I can get a SCT xcal3 with 3 custom tunes and 3 canned tunes for $500 or I can get an AFE intake and my custom 4" exhaust done for about $500 as well. I was thinking getting the intake and Exhaust will improve the truck better right now but just cant decide. Then again I already have a strait pipe in the truck but 3.5 ". What do yall think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Get the SCT since you already have a straight pipe. No need to change out the 6.0 intake unless you are trying to break 475hp.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Get the SCT since you already have a straight pipe. No need to change out the 6.0 intake unless you are trying to break 475hp.
Exactly! Just take it easy on those high performance custom tunes!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Get gauges if you dont have any as well
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
These fellas have spoken well. First off no need to get an aftermarket intake unless you are wanting big HP and are adding the needed modifications to get there (injectors, turbo and such). I agree, get the SCT with custom tuning and at least a pyro gauge to keep an eye on your egt's. But then again,I am just an old woman who drives an old slow Granny Truck!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
These fellas have spoken well. First off no need to get an aftermarket intake unless you are wanting big HP and are adding the needed modifications to get there (injectors, turbo and such). I agree, get the SCT with custom tuning and at least a pyro gauge to keep an eye on your egt's. But then again,I am just an old woman who drives an old slow Granny Truck!
Old and slow my azz Terri
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Let them think what they want! They see a plain looking truck with an old lady in it or they see my s/n and think oh he!! she don't know anything, hence the avatar!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM

So are the exhaust gases going to get alot hotter? Im not going to beat on the truck actually I planned on taking it easy to get better mileage. Does the intake help me any other way cuz im not really looking for a whole lot of horsepower. Im choosing these three tunes......

1) Economy: This file adds a slight increase in power but is mainly designed to try and
improve the economy from your 6.0L. A power gain of 20 rwhp/ 40 ft-lbs of torque can be expected. The Powerstroke engine with its Huei fuel system can sometimes be
unpredictable and fuel economy gains can vary. Testing and customer feedback has
shown that each truck responds differently and sometimes other files improve fuel
economy better than our specific “Economy” file.

3) Tow: A gain of 30rwhp/60 ft-lbs of torque is the average gain from the tow file. To keep cylinder pressures at International’s recommended level this file is not as powerful as our High-Torque version but is still an excellent towing file for owners who wish to gain a slight amount of power and fuel economy yet still trying to keep reliability high.

3)High-Power: The High-Power file is our most popular file. An easy gain of 100rwhp/200 ft-lbs of torque is the result of this tuning file. Many customers use this file 90% of the time. This will enable your truck to get out of the way of most oncoming traffic with ease.

They also have this tune available but Im scared of it due to the fact that my truck has 96K miles on it.

Insanity: Our Hot Street/Race file. Peak power was the main concern of this tuning file.
Up to 150hp/250 ft-lbs of torque is gained. Street drivability is still present but at a little
less ease than the factory calibration. 13 second quarter mile times have been achieved
with our Insanity file. A version of this file is what we run in our 700hp 6.0L’s.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Here is where I would recommend you get your files from. Its who I run and who many from the site run. Excellent customer service as well

innovativediesel.com
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM

So will the EGT's really get that hot to were I have to worry about them= need pyro gauge? getting my SCT and tunes from a local Company Twisted Diesel Performance, I can switch the tunes out for free if I want to change plus local service is always great. 15 minutes from home. So can this thing really hurt my engine as even if I dont get on it much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.