Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Difference Between PI and non PI @ idle

10K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Scolesy8 
#1 ·
Ok so awhile back in a thread some people wanted a video of the difference in sound between PI and non PI at idle. We'll here are two video's of my truck. One with non PI first at idle and the second with PI at idle. They are the same ECM file and Street tune from Innovative diesel. Also I must state the PI tune will get a little quieter over time since I just swapped this tune in today. So I'll change the video out after about 300-500 miles once the fueling tables are built in the ECM. The other tune has been in the truck for some time.

ID Street tune non PI idle

ID Street tune PI idle

#4 ·
PI stands for pilot Injection. Basically (for our trucks) two injector firings per stroke. sorta like a pilot light in a gas stove. a small shot of fuel to start the burn then the make shot. Newer diesels can fire 5-8 times which quiet even more but we can due to ECM and injector limitations (AKA HEUI). It was only ever on the 03 6L PS then removed due to issues plaguing it at the time. Some of the issues stemmed from 15w-40 dino oil and injector issues. Ford has since changed the injectors internally to fix issues (plungers(DLC coatings, and stiction) and we now have synthetic 5w-40 and inductive FICM tunes. As for whether other tuners offer it or not I can't say, but innovative diesel does. Mine here turns off at 1000 and turns back on when the RPM hits 800. So it is only at idle other than that it's the standard Single shot. I have it several other RPM off points like 1200-1400, and 2200. The thing I like is it's quieter, a little less smoke when PI is on and depending what FICM tune I'm running better throttle response.

#6 ·
I can't really say something as if it was written in stone but through my experiences with PI FICM tuning plays a big role. I don't know how it would run on the latest factory ford FICM tune calibration but between Eric's two FICM tunes on his tuner (inductive, and performance) it runs different between the two on mine. I can't say that one is worse but different. With the performance FICM tune throttle response is better with PI off idle than with non PI. I have seem a little mileage increase also with the tune where PI is in the driving range. I don't hate the knock with but the quieter running engine at idle also has it benefits also. Makes it a bit of a sleeper :)

#7 ·
very clear difference. I'm glad/mildly suprised that the video was able to pic up an audible difference. I've been meaning to get tunes from eric for a long time now, I'll have to ask him about the PI tunes...can they use the PI tunes on any of his high hp tunes? I'm not even too familiar with what the IDP tune nomenclature is, but it'd be great to be able to hear at the drive through on a full fuel daily driver tune.

#13 ·
I have a 2004 and I'm running SRL+ and PHP atlas 40ficm tune . It sure would be nice to
have a quieter truck down low . At what switch point would you guys recommend - 1000
or higher , and why ? I,m a little confused reading all this . What other side effects are
there to having this ? I have one of Eric's 3015id tuners and have ran his Xstreet (canned)
and have to say it's not a bad daily driver , so I can only imagine if it was custom written
for my truck further it would be really nice .
Any thoughts ? Thanks

#14 ·
Are the cold starts any better/ less violent?

My experience with PI was in the cummins world with the commonrail engines. Worked like a dream and cold starts were not a question; no knocking white smoke, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
I ordered the PI from eric and love it. its especially quiet with the fluidampr balancer. I hope to get the H.O.P.D.S from diesel site and have the quietest 6.0L around. I also run the innovative ficm tuning and found it much quieter then the stock ficm tune, but this was before the PI ecm tune.

#19 ·
I ordered it for the xstreet, wich is my new DD. I think I said for it to have PI below 1000 rpm's Ill email eric and ask him. I don't think all tuners offer it im sure its a bit of work to write a tune like this but once they have a good baseline tune I think they all start from framework. but not to sure cause im not a tuner...

#20 ·
this is the response I received from eric:

I usually set it at 2200, to keep it out of the driving RPM range. Otherwise, we'd need to turn it off at about 800-1000 to keep the truck from surging when taking off

#22 ·
Any updates on this subject ? I have a 2004.5 ( march 04' build ) that is slightly
annoying at idle ( outside the truck ) . I think the truck has it's original injectors (80,000 k )
and I would like to get PI on a nice dd tune but I also don't want to damage my injectors .
Rite now I'm running SRL + w PHP ficm tuner

#23 ·
With PI it's best to run a good Synthetic 5w40 oil and depending on the condition of your injectors RevX or althernative oil. As for PI hurting injectors it doesn't. Most of the old injector issues were resolve in the 04 injectors and remans have even more fixes. Also running inductive turning helps if you have injector issues.

edit: Just wanted to add FICM tuning changes your PI experience a lot depending what FICM tune you run.

#24 ·
I run Rotella T6 5w-40 + rev x constantly and XDP fuel additive and XD100 syn. 2 stroke
oil every tank ( maybe overkill ) .
I'm not sure about the inductive strategy though . As a rule I run Bill's ( PHP ) A40
(I have the tuner so I can move around ) . I thought I read somewhere that he doesn't
use inductive ?
Anyway I can't wait to get Eric to build me a tune with pi . Now which one ? xtr street
or xtr street x hmmmmmm !

#25 ·
The last I heard all of PHPs Atlas FICM tuning was based on inductive tunes but that would be something you would have to ask them. I personally use Erics non inductive performance FICM tune on his tuner with any tune I run. As for PI you can add it to any tune of Eric's. Depending what Strategy you want to run that might be a limitation but he would know that. The street tunes are ,Street, Street X, Aggressive Street, Xtreme Street, Xtreme Street X and of course the others.

#26 ·
I'm still getting used to Eric's extreme x. I forgot to ask about PI when I ordered it. I don't think it pulls as hard as my srlxx from Eric, but the truck isn't really 100% either...on my way home to finally dedicate time to tracking down boost/back pressure leaks.

I am very curious how ficm tuning would effect pi at idle. In other words would an atlas 40/80 tune more or less undo the effect if PI?

#27 ·
I have not used PHP's FICM tuning but between Eric's older Moderate FICM tune and the newer inductive performance and non inductive performance there is a noticeable difference in how PI operates. The biggest thing I notice with the non inductive performance FICM tune from Eric is the surge is pretty much gone from PI on/off. I also notice a difference between PI @ idle with the different FICM tuning if anything the PI is quieter with the non inductive FICM tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.