Difference Between PI and non PI @ idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Difference Between PI and non PI @ idle

Ok so awhile back in a thread some people wanted a video of the difference in sound between PI and non PI at idle. We'll here are two video's of my truck. One with non PI first at idle and the second with PI at idle. They are the same ECM file and Street tune from Innovative diesel. Also I must state the PI tune will get a little quieter over time since I just swapped this tune in today. So I'll change the video out after about 300-500 miles once the fueling tables are built in the ECM. The other tune has been in the truck for some time.

ID Street tune non PI idle

ID Street tune PI idle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Is it only Innovative that offers a PI tune? I never knew you could get PI on our trucks after it was removed way back when.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Thats a big difference. What exactly is PI? What are the pros or cons of having it?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM

PI stands for pilot Injection. Basically (for our trucks) two injector firings per stroke. sorta like a pilot light in a gas stove. a small shot of fuel to start the burn then the make shot. Newer diesels can fire 5-8 times which quiet even more but we can due to ECM and injector limitations (AKA HEUI). It was only ever on the 03 6L PS then removed due to issues plaguing it at the time. Some of the issues stemmed from 15w-40 dino oil and injector issues. Ford has since changed the injectors internally to fix issues (plungers(DLC coatings, and stiction) and we now have synthetic 5w-40 and inductive FICM tunes. As for whether other tuners offer it or not I can't say, but innovative diesel does. Mine here turns off at 1000 and turns back on when the RPM hits 800. So it is only at idle other than that it's the standard Single shot. I have it several other RPM off points like 1200-1400, and 2200. The thing I like is it's quieter, a little less smoke when PI is on and depending what FICM tune I'm running better throttle response.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I was curious if there's any performance benefit to it. I actually like the knock of the 6.0 at idle. Makes it sound mean.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
I was curious if there's any performance benefit to it. I actually like the knock of the 6.0 at idle. Makes it sound mean.
I can't really say something as if it was written in stone but through my experiences with PI FICM tuning plays a big role. I don't know how it would run on the latest factory ford FICM tune calibration but between Eric's two FICM tunes on his tuner (inductive, and performance) it runs different between the two on mine. I can't say that one is worse but different. With the performance FICM tune throttle response is better with PI off idle than with non PI. I have seem a little mileage increase also with the tune where PI is in the driving range. I don't hate the knock with but the quieter running engine at idle also has it benefits also. Makes it a bit of a sleeper
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
very clear difference. I'm glad/mildly suprised that the video was able to pic up an audible difference. I've been meaning to get tunes from eric for a long time now, I'll have to ask him about the PI tunes...can they use the PI tunes on any of his high hp tunes? I'm not even too familiar with what the IDP tune nomenclature is, but it'd be great to be able to hear at the drive through on a full fuel daily driver tune.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead2012 View Post
very clear difference. I'm glad/mildly suprised that the video was able to pic up an audible difference. I've been meaning to get tunes from eric for a long time now, I'll have to ask him about the PI tunes...can they use the PI tunes on any of his high hp tunes? I'm not even too familiar with what the IDP tune nomenclature is, but it'd be great to be able to hear at the drive through on a full fuel daily driver tune.
As far as I know he can do it do any of his tunes and vary the switch point from PI to non PI to what you want.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Man I really like the sound of that. The drive thru would be glad too.lol
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM

I had them make a PI tune for my Excursion today. It does idle & drive quieter. Glad I got it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.