Spartan Hybrid Race Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Spartan Hybrid Race Review

So I finally loaded up Spartan's hottest tune. I don't like to mess around...get straight to the point.

Things I like:
1. My truck sounds beyond MEAN . Not sure why but I've never heard it sound quite like this.
2. The throttle response is great...possibly some of the best I've experienced.
3. Not much smoke at all.
4. When I was cruising over a hill in 5th about 50mph I let off the gas to coast down. Usually it will immediately come out of OD and into 4th when I get back on the go pedal. This didn't happen, it stayed in OD when I got back on the go pedal at the bottom of the hill. I liked that.

Things I noticed:
1. Shifting is very similar to Dfuser's tunes. Very very similar. It seemed like the 1-3 shifts were similar to Dfuser's and the 3-5 were similar Innovative's Xtreme Street. It consistently clicked off the 3-5 shifts but the 1-3 were sometimes clunky and other times they were very soft and almost not noticeable. Guess I'm just used to Xtreme Street where they are all firm and fast.
2. The TC is locked in 4th and 5th. Liked that. Was happy to see it wasn't a 1/4 tune where the TC is locked in 2nd-5th.
3. So the throttle response from a dead stop or anything under 5mph is GREAT. I was cruising just under 45mph in 4th gear, gave it about half throttle from where my foot was at 40mph and it seemed a little more sluggish to get up and go vs my Xtreme Street. Barely noticeable.
4. EGT's. Holy Hell. Probably the only downside to the tune. I'm at 1100 in 3rd gear and thinking "my other tunes don't do that". Personally, I don't give a rats azz if I hit 1500 I just noticed that this tune is the hottest one I've ever ran.

Two main things I noticed were high egt's and my truck sounding like chewbaca on steroids on a mic plugged into the biggest amp's known to man. It's gonna scare people. lol Thanks Matt @ Spartan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When I tried out the hybrid race my temps never got over 1350*. Throttle response was great, it would make a good daily driver. I did not like the shifting as much as my Xrace file from Eric, and it didn't seem quite as powerful as my Xrace. Like I said, I think it would make a good DD, but its not an all out race tune. I think Matt has got a good handle on his tuning. Also, I believe the ultra comp is Matt's biggest tune, the hybrid race comes in 2nd.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Yea I figured that ultra comp was the hottest but I also assumed it has the TC locked in 2nd-5th. Weird that you didn't get over 1350. The throttle response would make it a great daily driver. So easy to get around...something I had to get used to after running my econ tune. The shifting is nothing like Innovative's Xtreme files but it's not something that would keep from running the tune. I'm gonna run it on my 210 mile drive back up to Chico and post results back in this thread.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
one day at a time

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd be curious to see what kind of mileage you get with it compared to what you normally run.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM

we'll find out tomorrow night.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Raging Lunatic

I run ID's XRace as my daily and I too tried Spartan's Hybrid race. I like you Darsey; did not like the shifting as well, however that might take getting used to. I think if I were to contact Matt and have him customize it, I would like it almost as well. My thoughts on the tune was, not as much acceleration in the 45-55mph power band range. It would get going I won't deny, just not as crisp and quick.
As far as mileage is concerned, I ran through 4 fill ups with Spartan's tune. And in all honesty did not see any difference. My avg. is 14.7 combined city/hwy. Now I generally drive 70+ on the hwy so rpm's are at or above 2k, but in the city it's pretty much Grandpa driving.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Yea that is good we both experience the same type of deal in the 40-50mph range with the response. Glad it's not just my truck. I didn't say I didn't like the shifting though. Don't wanna confuse anybody. I like it better than stock but not as much as my Innovative files. I don't feel like it is doing anything "bad" to my tranny or truck. It is very smooth...that is how I would describe Dfuser's tunes and this tune seems to be smooth like dfuser's but also firm like Innovative's. Personally, I prefer the real stiff, fast shifts that I experience with Eric's Xtreme files. It's not enough of an issue to keep me from running it if I am getting comparable mileage since the throttle response is so nice.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Yea that is good we both experience the same type of deal in the 40-50mph range with the response. Glad it's not just my truck. I didn't say I didn't like the shifting though. Don't wanna confuse anybody. I like it better than stock but not as much as my Innovative files. I don't feel like it is doing anything "bad" to my tranny or truck. It is very smooth...that is how I would describe Dfuser's tunes and this tune seems to be smooth like dfuser's but also firm like Innovative's. Personally, I prefer the real stiff, fast shifts that I experience with Eric's Xtreme files. It's not enough of an issue to keep me from running it if I am getting comparable mileage since the throttle response is so nice.
I definately don't want to confuse anyone either. I don't think it is a bad thing the shifting, just not to what I'm used. I have never tried Bill's tunes, so his shifting is comparable to Matt's? The mileage thing kind of confused me, from the stand point that at 2k rpm's (Matt's)my boost was not as high as with Eric's
Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Eric's and Matts tunes have never shifted the same. One thing you can do is adjust the shift pressure from what is commanded in the base tune. Eric's I always have to adjust down and Matt's I adjust up. They Hybrid race is far from Matt's hottest tune. The ultracomp is not even the "hottest" tune, just the hottest he offers to the public. My truck actually runs quicker 1/4 mile times on his stock plus than it does on my ID extreme race. One thing no one ever seems to realize is that EVERY truck runs and responds differently to "generic" tunes. Different year models, mods, and strategies make a huge difference. And FWIW......I wouldn't load Dfuser's tunes in my lawnmower. Anyone that has to use a "10K mod" on a 6.0 to correct tuning doesn't know $hit about correct tuning.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
And FWIW......I wouldn't load Dfuser's tunes in my lawnmower. Anyone that has to use a "10K mod" on a 6.0 to correct tuning doesn't know $hit about correct tuning.
this is the org. not gogo. lol But I appreciate the laugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.