What the heck just happened? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What the heck just happened?

I should probably have posted this in the problem section, but it really applies to performance anomalies and it was self-fixing.

This evening I cold started my truck (19*F) and after a minute or 2 off I went. A few minutes later I am at the highway, turn on to it and lightly accelerate to highway speed - well not really. The truck looses power, and as I press the pedal, it revs up to 3500-4000 rpm with the transmission not upshifting so I am still going about the same speed. There is a big cloud of black smoke behind the truck. The parameters are:

No codes
EBP 39 psi (maxed out)
Boost 30 psi
VGT 65%
ICP 1500 ish
IPR 47%
Good fuel pressure
Tune - Extreme X for larger injectors (2 weeks since I re-installed it).

as I let off and pull over to the shoulder. Initially I thought I blew a hose until I saw the gauges. When I saw the EBP and the smoke I though about a blown turbo until I saw the boost. It all just didn't make sense.

So it is now idling OK but the EBP and boost are high, with the VGT about 50%. I drive for a few miles and my thoughts are the turbo may be the problem, but the VGT seems to follow the pedal, but it is 10psi high on both sides with what appears to be a normal VGT. Temps are very low while driving
(under 500*). It sounded like a slight air leak as I drive. I really think the turbo is getting ready to take a dump. However, the transmission is shifting funny and seems to behave like there is no power. The only thing I didn't check at the time was FICM voltage.

So I pull over again, shut it down and start looking for damage but find none. I restart it and it runs perfectly normal for the next 35 minutes and 2 hours later for the 45 minute return trip.

My thoughts are the VGT (not working correctly but indicating change), a sensor or the PCM was having a Microsoft moment.

If this was Halloween I would have thought I picked up a ghost! Strange but true!

Last edited by twoicebergs; 10-28-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tranny Flaring out?

Direct clutch solenoid, might be your tranny doesnt like your Tune
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Even though it had made it through 4 gears prior to stopping for the highway, the transmission just didn't want to shift out of 2nd, but as I said, it had no power so I wouldn't have expected the shift. There was no flair or slipping and after the stop and go, the solenoids were shifting it very crisp when it changed gears. Later it was hunting for the correct gear, 5th or 6th, as I was near the typical speed shift point. Usually it just changes and locks in.

Since winter is here and this tune does not run very well on the truck in cold weather, it will be coming off very soon. Typically in very cold weather the injection advances too much and it takes off like a bat out of he-double-hockey-sticks with little throttle until it warms up.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 10-29-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
I should probably have posted this in the problem section, but it really applies to performance anomalies and it was self-fixing.

This evening I cold started my truck (19*F) and after a minute or 2 off I went. A few minutes later I am at the highway, turn on to it and lightly accelerate to highway speed - well not really. The truck looses power, and as I press the pedal, it revs up to 3500-4000 rpm with the transmission not upshifting so I am still going about the same speed. There is a big cloud of black smoke behind the truck. The parameters are:

No codes
EBP 39 psi (maxed out)
Boost 30 psi
VGT 65%
ICP 1500 ish
IPR 47%
Good fuel pressure
Tune - Extreme X for larger injectors (2 weeks since I re-installed it).

as I let off and pull over to the shoulder. Initially I thought I blew a hose until I saw the gauges. When I saw the EBP and the smoke I though about a blown turbo until I saw the boost. It all just didn't make sense.

So it is now idling OK but the EBP and boost are high, with the VGT about 50%. I drive for a few miles and my thoughts are the turbo may be the problem, but the VGT seems to follow the pedal, but it is 10psi high on both sides with what appears to be a normal VGT. Temps are very low while driving
(under 500*). It sounded like a slight air leak as I drive. I really think the turbo is getting ready to take a dump. However, the transmission is shifting funny and seems to behave like there is no power. The only thing I didn't check at the time was FICM voltage.

So I pull over again, shut it down and start looking for damage but find none. I restart it and it runs perfectly normal for the next 35 minutes and 2 hours later for the 45 minute return trip.

My thoughts are the VGT (not working correctly but indicating change), a sensor or the PCM was having a Microsoft moment.

If this was Halloween I would have thought I picked up a ghost! Strange but true!
Lmmfao!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.