Sinister EGR Delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister EGR Delete

As the title says I'm looking into getting the Sinister EGR delete for my 06. I was looking around on prices and I went to MKM customs and saw they had 2 different EGR delete kits for the 6.0. One I assume is the FULL delete with the up pipe and everything, and the other was their BASIC. My question is which do I need? My truck is completely stock right now and I all I really want is to delete the EGR and get a tuner on it before I take on the bigger upgrades. What I'm worried about is if I buy thier FULL delete it will require me to do the oil cooler and everything else as well. Is this the case? I just dont wanna buy a 329$ set up and then learn I have to buy more stuff because I cant install the EGR without taking other stuff out to accomidate it.

Sorry if thats confusing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

You need to know your temperature split between oil and coolant to determine if you need to replace oil cooler. The difference in the full kit and the basic is the included up pipe to bolts to exhaust manifold

2005 F350 CCLB FX4
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

yes do some research on google before u buy anything its better to do everything atr once than later down the road
Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'll be honest the only delete i've ever seen leak was a Sinister.....and no not at the ****ing piece of crap blue hose, it was at the teflon thread sealant where the j-tube threads into the base. How about some high temp sealant not plumbers tape?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
I'll be honest the only delete i've ever seen leak was a Sinister.....and no not at the ****ing piece of crap blue hose, it was at the teflon thread sealant where the j-tube threads into the base. How about some high temp sealant not plumbers tape?
Yep that's where mine leaked...but I got it used for cheap (but not that cheap ).....a little high temp orange RTV solved that though

All in all though, unless you really want the Sinister name and the flashy bling polished up-pipe (that you'll never actually see), I say go with someone else. There's a ton of other companies that make a quality EGR kit for less money. A couple guys in our chapter have ones from Custom Diesel and have been really happy with them. Plus I found this

03 07 Ford 6 0 Complete EGR Delete Kit with STC Hpop Fitting Kit | eBay

do it all at once with the EGR delete, upgrade your STC fitting, change out the IPR screen if you like, and still save $100 over the Sinister kit.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Yep that's where mine leaked...but I got it used for cheap (but not that cheap ).....a little high temp orange RTV solved that though

All in all though, unless you really want the Sinister name and the flashy bling polished up-pipe (that you'll never actually see), I say go with someone else. There's a ton of other companies that make a quality EGR kit for less money. A couple guys in our chapter have ones from Custom Diesel and have been really happy with them. Plus I found this

03 07 Ford 6 0 Complete EGR Delete Kit with STC Hpop Fitting Kit | eBay

do it all at once with the EGR delete, upgrade your STC fitting, change out the IPR screen if you like, and still save $100 over the Sinister kit.
Ok so I'll stay away from the Sinister (I dont care about the flash I want quality) and go with a different brand. And when you guys say do it all at once you mean do the whole EGR delete (EGr, oil cooler all that)? I'll be honest I have no idea what the STC fitting is or the IPR screen.

My idea was to do the EGR delete, then get the SCT SF3 tuner to put on it, and get an Edge Insight CS for monitoring. Then eventually down the road mess with the head gaskets and head studs. I'm just unsure of exactly what I need to do the EGR delete the right way the FIRST time
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06DieforDiesel View Post
Ok so I'll stay away from the Sinister (I dont care about the flash I want quality) and go with a different brand. And when you guys say do it all at once you mean do the whole EGR delete (EGr, oil cooler all that)? I'll be honest I have no idea what the STC fitting is or the IPR screen.

My idea was to do the EGR delete, then get the SCT SF3 tuner to put on it, and get an Edge Insight CS for monitoring. Then eventually down the road mess with the head gaskets and head studs. I'm just unsure of exactly what I need to do the EGR delete the right way the FIRST time
Ok, I may have come across wrongly in my previous post...don't get me wrong, Sinister does make a quality product, they're just overpriced. Do some research and find what's right for you.

The part that sinner was talking about that leaks is where the j-tube threads into the aluminum block plate that bolts to your intake....its pretty common with kits that come with 2-piece j-tubes. Some kits have 1 piecers that work great, and IPR makes a full aluminum piece and does away with the j-tube altogether.....BUT if you go that route, the IPR kit won't work in conjunction with a BPD oil cooler kit, SO if that's a route you think you'd ever want to take, stick with a kit that uses the j-tube. Again, do your research and find out what's right for you.

As far as for doing it the right way the first time, that's a matter of how much money you've got to spend. If you've got it to spend, might as well do all the updating (turbo feed, turbo drain, STC (snap-to-connect) fitting, etc.) while you're in there.

I'm going to try to say this carefully so as to try to not come off as offensive, but it really sounds like you should do some research on your truck before you even think about putting on a tuner, or you may end up as one of the many people that think the 6.0 is just a money pit engine that doesn't work. You're off to a good start and the org is full of lots of useful people and information. If you're not even having any EGR problems now, I'd put that on a back burner and get your Edge CS/CTS first.

Having a monitor is a great tool and is going to tell you more about what your truck is going to need than what anyone else thinks it might. Once you know your EOT/ECT deltas, your FICM/injector voltages, VGT duty cycles, and all the other critical engine parameters and what they mean, then you'll be able to know if you really need to do an oil cooler and need to do that "full" EGR delete, or if you can save that $300 for head studs/gaskets down the road, or maybe some preventative maintenance like cleaning your turbo.

Just my opinions, they'd what I'd do first money permitting. Knowing what your truck may or may not need from your monitor will save you tons in diagnostics and unneeded parts. Hope this helps
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 AM

I agree 100% with nighthawk, theirs no reason to put an egr delete kit on if your egr systems is fine. Its quite a bit of work installing a delete kit. If it was mine I would get a monitor and if the eot and ect are in specs id stash the money and do studs/gaskets egr delete kit oil cooler rebuild stc fitting ipr screen and orings updated turbo lines (sure I'm forgetting stuff lol) all at the same time so you only have to tear it down once!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 AM

You guys are great! Not only do yall have a wealth of knowledge but are great about explaining it and mostly being consiterate and nice about it. I'm slowly learning more and more about my truck and this engine but obviously I have a long way to go. Luckily for me (and knock on wood) but as of right now my truck seems to be fine. I've never had over heating issues or seen anything to make me think my egr or oil cooler system is going bad. Matter of fact my truck runs great (again cross your fingers) this was just something I knew would not only help performance wise but also longevity wise. I like the idea of monitoring everything though so I'll most likely end up putting the insight on it first then just go from there. I'll just follow the "dont fix it if it aint broke" theory!!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

That is a great theory unless the truck is apart, or you have tons of money, or your bored and want to tear into it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.