Egr Bypass Pipes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Egr Bypass Pipes?

i want to completly bypass my egr cooler without removing the whole thing cause i don't like it. i've seen some kits run for like 600 bones. can someone point me in the right direction on where to get a decent kit for a good price. and for those of you who have done this on the 06+ 6.0, what should i expect? thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you're better off removing the entire thing. I think that would be easier than pulling and fabbing/cutting/welding the cooler. If I had to refer you, it would be to Adam at firstcoastdieselperformance. NOT liberator. It 600 bucks more than you're looking to spend?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 AM

i was hoping to get a fabricated up-pipe of some sort. cause i know that removing the egr cooler requires removing the manifold and other stuff and my clumsy a$$ would probably break something lol. thankyou for the advice, i'll check their site
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up egr delete

well a good egr delete will:reduced risk of blowing head gasket:lowerEGTs:no turbo surge:more boost:better mileage:cooler intake air:less turbo lag:less smoke:quicker throttle reponse:I think its worth it!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think removing the cooler has anything to do with blowing headgaskets, to my understanding head gaskets go south because of too much boost in the cylinders that stretch the stock bolts. Also, I did not notice any cooler egt's, didn't notice any quicker throttle response, didn't notice more boost or better mileage or less smoke. I wouldn't lead anybody to think they will gain even 1mpg by blocking the flow to the cooler, you're strictly doing to drastically reduce the risk of an egr cooler failure. my .2 cents.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:22 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PSD w/SMOKE: I modded my up-pipe removing the scoop and blocking the "T". You can do the R&I work yourself with hand tools and patience. You may need someone to cut the scoop and weld the "T" unless you can weld. The mod is not difficult or expensive for the DIY mechanic. You may find a CEL for "Low EGR flow" but using an SCT tuned to cut off the EGR function will prevent the CEL.

I found the turbo spooling much easier than before the mod with no additional findings. I was under the impression that modding the up-pipe helped prevent the flash boiling of the coolant in the cooler thus preventing the coolant from bypassing the cap on the coolant reservoir.

Using the modded up-pipe has worked great for me with no complaints. I'd love to do the full EGR delete I just need time and maybe a knowledgeable guide to help prevent mistakes.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke W/smoke View Post
i was hoping to get a fabricated up-pipe of some sort. cause i know that removing the egr cooler requires removing the manifold and other stuff and my clumsy a$$ would probably break something lol. thankyou for the advice, i'll check their site
Elite sells the sneaky pipe, which is an up-pipe that has the scoop already removed. It's cheaper and easier than removing the whole EGR cooler.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM

good info gents! i am trying as hard as i can to stay away from egr issues and this seems to be one of the best solutions.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Ok so with an SCT with the tuning to shut off the EGR and then the up pipe and it's completely bypassed? I thought the tunes on the SCT could still allow the EGR to open 5% or something, so long term it would still clog right?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up tuner

well its what tuner you have and what tunes you would like on them.these are custom tunes.to your liking and the way you set them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.