Thinking about doing 3.5" downpipe and Cat delete into stock 3.5" exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about doing 3.5" downpipe and Cat delete into stock 3.5" exhaust

I dont want to straight pipe the truck, but I would like to have a little more sound and get the turbo spooling faster and evacuate exhaust gas a lil better.

If I'm correct, the OEM exhaust is 3.5" after the cat. SOOOO i see these 3.5" down pipe and cat delete combos online for like $130-$150. Thinking about just bolting one of these up to the stock exhaust.

Will I get any more exhaust note with that setup if i retain the stock muffler? Any benefit in performance? I'm not interested in a huge exhaust setup at the moment and dont want to lose any low-end. Its a stock truck that I just run Vivians street tune on. Its plenty of power for me Its not a race truck, its a crew cab long bed with a 6-speed manual, It breaks the tires loose when the turbo lights now that plenty fun to drive.

If it had a lil more exhaust sound, and spool a lil quicker and maybe help lower EGTs thats all i am concerned with. BUT a turbo back exhaust really isnt very expensive either, so if I NEED to go with a 4" I will, just seems to me that 3.5" exhaust the whole way back would be plenty for the whp Im making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes you'll get more exhaust note without the cat.

Slight benefit in performance....the less turbulence and more flow you have the easier your engine will breathe

Like you said, a TB exhaust isn't that much more, I think a 4" Diamond Eye goes for around $350, and that's going to get you a lot more bang for your buck IMO. Especially running Viv's tunes, you're going to want all the help you can get with lowering EGTs as they tend to run a bit hotter than the rest.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 AM

I honestly just dont want something thats obnoxiously loud. Maybe I'll look into something that has a small muffler. I havent paid much attention to them.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 AM

4" Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust 03 07 Ford F 250 F 350 Powerstroke Diesel 6 0L | eBay

What about this thing? Full stainless turbo back with a lil muffler on there. Not a big one by looks of it but probably toned down from a straight pipe. I guess the swapping of the downpipe and the cat delete would be the "difficult portion" of the install, so while I'm there why not throw on the rest of the piping.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yeah, just might message them and make sure there's enough pipe for a crew cab long box
Old 10-26-2013, 02:34 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is this too loud for you??

Old 10-28-2013, 02:39 PM

heavy assault is that your truck? I dont think thats too loud. It sounds really good, its the sound I want to have.

And though its kinda hard to tell, I think that would be about just as loud as I want to go, no louder than that. If thats your truck, do you have any clips of it just cruising? is it loud when youre not WOT?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Yea that's mine. When you hit the pedal hard it's whistling and really gives out that V8 sound. For cruising around it doesn't get too bad at all. The whistle will come out pretty easily. I don't think it's bad even at HWY speeds since the whistle is mild in the background. It will only rumble when hitting over 2500 RPMs with plenty of boost. Once you drop into OD it's just purring along. You anywhere near VA??
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Im in south eastern PA so quite not real close to VA. I dont mind the whistle. I like hearing the turbo, I just dont want the drone of the exhaust being obnoxious. Theres so many cummins hillbillies around here with stacks that makes me hate the super obnoxious stuff. I just want it to sound good not harsh or overly loud.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
N.S.D.Q.

When you delete the muffler that's when you will hear the biggest difference. You can swap in the MBRP down pipe and the MBRP cat delete pipe on the stock piping. After that it's cutting out the muffler.

I get plenty of turning heads while driving in the parking lots. For the HWY I have asked my wife and she says it doesn't bother her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.