H-11's this go round? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H-11's this go round?

Alright guys here's the low down. Back in 2011 I replaced my factory head gaskets after they blew, with black onyx and arps. Well of course they failed the next year, 2012, around 10-12,000 miles. I did some more research to see if I could reuse the arp's again, and from what I read and was told they would be ok to use again. And I went with oem gaskets. Heads were good, checked by local machine shop. Well here it is a year and 3 months later and I think I blew them again. I've ran it alittle harder this time around, but I've always watched my gauges..egts, boost, eot, ect, etc.... Well today I went to pass a car, rolled into it, boost was holding 33-35 psi, and egts were around 1000-1100. As soon as I passed it I smelled coolant. And I saw my ect fluctuate like it has in the past when the gaskets let go. I have been running innovative's xtreme race tune, the "190 horse tune". Do yall think they went because boost was to high and because I reused the arps? Heads shouldn't be warped..I wouldn't think with egts being so low during the pass. Anyways should I go with H-11's this time around? I can get them for $100 more than arps. Would it be worth it? I know there's people out there running 1000+ hp with arps but for a $100 more would they be worth it? kinda tired of doing head gaskets. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can go with H-11's if it will give you more peace of mind, but the ARP's ARE NOT the source of your problem.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM

That's what I was afraid of.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM

You definitely won't want to hear this, but I've seen h-11's blow a head gasket. The cause we found out was the block, not the heads. I would check the block.

Seems to that black onyx are a little over rated, while they're good, they don't seem to hold much more than factory if there is other problems. Also beware of tunes that run a lot of low rpm timing as they seem to aggravate head gaskets and rods, as I found out the hard way on my other truck.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Yeah I know it CAN happen. I'll have to have them check the block good when I put it in. I used black onyx one time and won't use them again. OEM's for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I find it hard to believe your heads were okay after head gaskets let go the first time... Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 50% of brand new/reman heads need to be machined flat? Your problem could be the block but has anybody seen 6.0 heads that haven't need to be machined flat?(after blowing head gaskets) Even if they only need .002"... That's still a lot IMO considering .008" and you basically need new heads or are looking at doing a lot of work to get them flat again. .002 is 25% away from just needing to be machined flat.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 AM

I had sort of the same issue.
Long story short the motor had to come apart. Heads went to a shop and guides and seals were done, was told heads were flat. Great!
Toss her back together with BO and ARP's. 10,000 miles later ( no tunes) gaskets let go.
Heads go to different shop, had to be cut 8 thousandths. Bs they were flat the first time.
Back together with the same studs and BO gaskets ( after I bought them is when the crap really started coming out about them but they were already out of the package).
15k on that swap.
This summer I let a friend borrow my truck to go down to VIR towing and forgot to take out the hot canned SCT tune. Gaskets let go again
Heads go back to second shop. Only out 2 thousandths. Shaved again and OE gaskets are in.
I say whenever the heads come off have them checked. If they are not flat make them flat because if the block is out 4 and the heads are out 2 that's a total of 6. Much rather only be out what the block is and not both the heads and block
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninmike View Post
I had sort of the same issue.
Long story short the motor had to come apart. Heads went to a shop and guides and seals were done, was told heads were flat. Great!
Toss her back together with BO and ARP's. 10,000 miles later ( no tunes) gaskets let go.
Heads go to different shop, had to be cut 8 thousandths. Bs they were flat the first time.
Back together with the same studs and BO gaskets ( after I bought them is when the crap really started coming out about them but they were already out of the package).
15k on that swap.
This summer I let a friend borrow my truck to go down to VIR towing and forgot to take out the hot canned SCT tune. Gaskets let go again
Heads go back to second shop. Only out 2 thousandths. Shaved again and OE gaskets are in.
I say whenever the heads come off have them checked. If they are not flat make them flat because if the block is out 4 and the heads are out 2 that's a total of 6. Much rather only be out what the block is and not both the heads and block
Are you saying that you have shaved a total of 10 thousandths off your heads? The reason Im asking is because everything ive read says 8 thousandths max and then you need new heads. Some debate that ANY machining is tolerable. Just curious.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Hello guys , are black onyx and black diamond (I think there made by Mahle ) the same
gasket ? In there description they say they are multilayer s.s with a
silicone bead , and they look like quality parts . I'm curious as to why
the ford gasket is so much better .
I have Ford spares for mine , but after reading some of these threads
I wonder if when replacing them and installing studs a man should just
plan on decking the block at the same time ?
Also , how do you know if your running a tune with more timing ?
Can this be found by using AE ?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Baby boy.... yep about that... maybe its 8 total but its up there. Valves are still in spec as far as being sunk into the head.
Runs like a champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.