ID's Extreme Race shifting issues... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ID's Extreme Race shifting issues...

Ok so I've been running extreme street basically as long as I've had the truck, and I love it, great shifting, good power, excellent all around. I have some drags to attend this weekend as well as a dyno day. I loaded my extreme race on to drive around a bit and let the computer learn everything. I adjusted my 1-2, 2-3 shifting firmness up to 25%(max), and I believe 3-5 was set to 15% on first try, then 25% second try. My issue is when I'm driving down the road. Under normal acceleration (half throttle or a touch less) the tranny shifts good and hard. The real issue comes under full throttle runs. I would cruise around 45mph or so and roll into or stomp on it (just practicing and seeing what the truck does) and it will pull nice and hard all the way up to my preset rev limit of 4150rpms. Once it hits there it doesn't shift. It will hang on at 4150 for at least a full second before it starts to shift. It will shift though, and there is no grinding and it doesn't feel like anything is slipping, just hesitates a bit before it shifts. My extreme street shifts are crisp, hard, and fast. This is not the case with extreme Race tune. To test out the lower gears I came to a stop and took off with full throttle. Same thing in all gears, gets to 4150, hangs out for a second thinking about what it's going to do, then it will shift. Right now I think my extreme street will put down better 1/4 mile times than the race tune because of how bad the shifting is.

My question, is there something I can change to make this better right on my Xcalibrator, or is there something that needs to be changed on the tune with ID?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

okay i've been doing lots of back and forth with eric this week about shifting issues also.. i havent' used XR in months because i did not like having the converter lock up so much because i couldn't spool my large turbo w/out the RPMS...

however after doing MANY different scenarios with the SCT and trial and error this past week and picking erics brain, (not to mention having him write me all new tunes also) i've finally got what i think is a winner...

first off, what size and type of turbo are you running ?? vgt/not?
what size injectors ?

and very important here, do you have any tranny mods at all or aftermarket converter, or is all of that stuff stock ??

whatever you do, and trust me i know it's easy to think you need to up your shift pressures but even w/out changing them, eric has already bumped them up enough with the tune to safeguard your tranny trust me..

anyhow.. try this and tell me what you think.... it may not work for you as well as for me, but i'm running a large NONVVT turbo that lags a lot, BIGAZZ injectors, and a fully built tranny and heavy duty converter...

make sure you have your axle ratio set right (easy)
play with your tire revs/mile also... what size tires are you running ?? i'm running 35" tires (which measure out to 34" w/tape) and that comes to 595 revs/mile.
circumference is: Pi X Diameter. (Pi is 3.14159) so for a 34" tall tire w/a diameter of 34" you get a circumference of 106.81"... this is 8.9'... a mile is 5,280', so divided by 8.9 gives you 593.25 revs/mile... adjust the math to fit your tire size as necessary.
this makes a BIG difference in the quality of your shifting..

second.. DO NOT ALTER THE "WOT SHIFT/MPH" settings at all ! !!! leave them all at ZERO.. eric personally told me this as he writes the tunes to shift at certain RPM now, and something about how they would try to "anticipate" a shift rpm by mph w/the user options or something.. i can find the email if you really want the detailed reason why. but basically DONT change that, let the tune itself control the shifting and i'll tell you what it made a WORLD of difference in the shifting.

as far as shift pressure, like i say you don't NEED to up them if you don't want to and you will be safe. personally i have my 1-2 shift at 10%, and all the other shifts at 5%.
this has been working out well for me but of course feel free to play with it. but just don't mess with the other option i was telling you about.

i actually like the XR tune now, and i think it drives better for daily driving than my XS tune, i have no idea why but it just does !
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 AM

My truck is 100% stock other than the tuner. I am running 33x12.5's now so tire size is near stock.

I had all shift firmness settings up at 25% (yes it seems absurd, but like I said I was going to be dragging on the 1/4 mile)

I haven't touched the WOT settings at all, since I didn't know what they did anyways. I have my rev limit put to 4150 (down from 4250 on the original tune I believe) and the speed limit removed. Everything else is the way it was.

I just reprogrammed it with the same settings but changed the firmness down to 10% across the board, I'll try it after work and let you know if there is any change.

I cant see why it would shift worse with 25% firmness and better with less pressure!?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 AM

BUMP

My truck is hitting the dyno tomorrow and I dont know if I should even bother, anyone have any other suggestions?

As a side note, I switched over to the hybrid race tune from spartan last night and was experiencing the same things. On my way home I came to a complete stop in the middle of the highway and took off, and it seemed to shift OK. I dont think the spartan shifting is as good as the ID shifting, but I dont really know what's good anymore. I then proceeded to try and pass two cars (both going very slow on open country roads) Truck pulled awesome right about to when I got even with the lead car and then it hesitated again. It's almost like the truck is defueling and not wanting to shift. I almost hit my face on the steering wheel it let off so hard. After I got home I did a couple more trial runs using 4x4. My first run from a dead stop non boosted launch, shifted great. My second a boosted launch 1/4 mile run I put down a 14.82... not impressed, but I dont know if my tranny is back to 100% yet. I just retuned it to stock for the ride home and I'm going to do more experimentation today. I didn't have any of these problems until I put the spartan tunes on my SCT. The first two tunes I used from Spartan are the hybrid race and the agg tow with exhaust brake. I wasn't overly impressed with either so I put my ID extreme race back on and that is when I started having these issues. Not it seems to do it in both my ID tunes and my Spartan tunes. I'm going to reload my extreme street from ID back on later and put that back in, since that has been my daily driver for the last 8 months or more and I never had issues with it.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM

As a atest I tuned it back to stock this morning. I just went into town for lunch and stock drove and shifted like normal. Boring, but normal. After lunch, put it back into extreme race tune. Seems OK, but it was a very short drive back to work (<5MILES) so I will do further testing after work today and hopefully figure out what has been going on, but as of now all fingers (in my opinion anyways) are pointing at the spartan tunes...

I really hate to blame those tunes, but nothing else on my truck has changed and I haven't had a single problem with shifting in the last 18,000miles of tune driving.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM

yeah the shifting on the Spartan hybrid tune is sloppy. Didnt like it at all but I loved how the power came quick on that tune. But hey for free its ok, maybe once you get it custom tuned you'll be good. Anyways good luck with your truck bro.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine did not like the shifting with the Spartan Hybred race either, Innovative Extreme Race only
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM

UPDATE:

This wasn't sloppy shifting, this was far worse. I'm talking a complete second or MORE to get to the next gear, AFTER hitting the red line. Literally would hit red line and hover there for a good second sometimes upwards of two full seconds. It then started doing this in my Innovative Diesel Custom tunes as well!

Like I said I put it back to stock and the tranny shifted fine then.

After this I put my extreme race on and it ran great. I will be removing the spartan tunes from my SCT all together. You get what you pay for I guess...

If anyone else has similar experiences, please put back to stock, then reprogram with your paid for tunes.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lifsvr7 Send a message via Yahoo to Lifsvr7
well, I had similiar issues with the ID tunes... I am runnin 37"s and know exactly what u are talkin about... its hitting Rev limit and falling on its face until it shifts.... I had eric redo the xtreme race so that it shifts at 3800 RPM. I think they are normally set at about 4000RPM... But No probs since, and use the tune as a D/D and weekend crusher... try that.. I think you'll be happy
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 AM

Already fixed it. I loaded it back to stock, then loaded the Extreme Race back on. I'm deleteing my spartan tunes off of my SCT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.