EGR and EGTs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR and EGTs

OK I have come to the conclusion that some EGR leaks past the valve even though it has an SCT command off. Ever since I installed the EGR slug my EGTs will hit 1200 deg.
When hauling my camper over the pass unless I kicked it down to obtain over 20lbs. of boost the EGTs began climbing to 1200. I pulled over and swapped out a 50 hp tune for a 40 hp tune and same thing happened. I pulled over and returned to stock and only then could I barely keep under 1200 deg. I will say this though... stock tune w/ DJs fuel system, big mouth CFM, 4.30 gears and a slugged EGR the truck will haul the mail. Truck feels like it has a 30hp tune setup like this.
So my dillema is...
1) leave stock when hauling weight.
2) Reinstall EGR and an SCT tune.
3) Adjust shifting somehow so truck will hold 4th gear longer and allow me to put the boost to it so EGT stays comfortable (1150 on long pulls).

Any input?

snoboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1200 EGT temp is nothing to be scared of. You're not gonna melt pistons at that temp, just don't keep it there all day. I'm not sure what you mean by EGR slug, but unless the EGR valve is welded shut, it will leak by under high boost. It takes no effort with a finger to open an EGR valve. Your EGT's can be controlled by your right foot.......that's what the gauge is for. You need to try one of the Frog's tow tunes. They are the stuff!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
1200 EGT temp is nothing to be scared of. You're not gonna melt pistons at that temp, just don't keep it there all day. I'm not sure what you mean by EGR slug, but unless the EGR valve is welded shut, it will leak by under high boost. It takes no effort with a finger to open an EGR valve. Your EGT's can be controlled by your right foot.......that's what the gauge is for. You need to try one of the Frog's tow tunes. They are the stuff!
X2!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Biofuelsdude
My suggestion, if this persists and bothers you over time, is to get a snow performance water injection kit. Not only will it kill your EGT's under high load but it may also add to increased mileage. Here is their website and I do not work for them or get any money for doing this Snow Performance: Products

The seven gallon stage III kit would work well for long hauls as well as keeping refills down to a minimum. Stock up now ,in the summer, on windshield wiper fluid before prices go up in light of the winter season.

Erik

Last edited by Biofuelsdude; 07-15-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:51 PM

OK I realize I control my EGTs with foot english. The problem is having to back out of it to allow EGTs to drop I'm losing speed. If I kick it down then I can get enough boost rolling to help cool the EGTs (I no longer have an EGR valve, I have a slug in the hole same as welding it shut). The problem is when I kick it down it'll run up to the shift point, upshift to OD again, boost will drop into the teens and then EGTs will start to climb. BTW 1200 is MY stopping point, I have no doubt the EGTs would just continue to climb into the danger zone. As far as a new tune, I already have 12 different custom tunes from DJs, Spartans, and Innovative everthing from 20 to 160 hp. A new tune is not whats needed. I see you guys live in NC, New York and Ill. I'm not sure about upstate New York but I've been to ILL. and NC and I'm not dealing with that type of terrain. I'm dealing with 8% grades that are 30 miles long.
Biofuelsdude I was thinking of water/alcohol injection this my whole trip home today as a possibility. My CFM bigmouth already has threaded ports in it.

Last edited by snoboy; 07-14-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Biofuelsdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
OK I realize I control my EGTs with foot english. The problem is having to back out of it to allow EGTs to drop I'm losing speed. If I kick it down then I can get enough boost rolling to help cool the EGTs (I no longer have an EGR valve, I have a slug in the hole same as welding it shut). The problem is when I kick it down it'll run up to the shift point, upshift to OD again, boost will drop into the teens and then EGTs will start to climb. BTW 1200 is MY stopping point, I have no doubt the EGTs would just continue to climb into the danger zone. As far as a new tune, I already have 12 different custom tunes from DJs, Spartans, and Innovative everthing from 20 to 160 hp. A new tune is not whats needed. I see you guys live in NC, New York and Ill. I'm not sure about upstate New York but I've been to ILL. and NC and I'm not dealing with that type of terrain. I'm dealing with 8% grades that are 30 miles long.
Biofuelsdude I was thinking of water/alcohol injection this my whole trip home today as a possibility. My CFM bigmouth already has threaded ports in it.
Hey dude,

I feel you on getting up there with your EGT's. 1200 goes to scary fast if something indeed does go wrong or it becomes a crazy hot day in August. All in all, I think the melting point is 1500 F or 1600 F? I'm not sure on the "danger zone" so any correction is more than welcomed!

Fighting EGT's can also be done with biodiesel because it does not burn as fast. IE. a higher cetane value. It takes longer to explode and thus causes 1. more nitrogen emissions and 2. decreases sound of the detonation. First and for most I say you go with the stage 3 kit from snow performance. If you are doing 30 mile pulls up a 8% grade, then 7 gallons should last you awhile. Your call buddy. Other options are propane fumigation, CO2 injection on the intercooler, or Nitrous oxide injection. However, I personally do not like compressed gasses on board and would feel safer with a water injection kit.

Erik

Last edited by Biofuelsdude; 07-15-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok.....your EGR valve is deleted, but is the EGR cooler deleted or closed off from exhaust gas also? That's another consideration on superheating your coolant. Yes, I live in NC, but there are still some pretty good grades here, although not 30 miles long, and I understand where you're going with the EGT thing. I'd be highly in favor of the water injection kit. It will greatly help with your EGT's for sure and will even help with your mileage. Your only other option is to increase your turbo size or get a bigger intercooler or both and get more air in the hole. How much weight are you towing up those grades???
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 PM

No the EGR cooler is in place. But i'm not having a coolant issue only EGTs and I did not have any issues until I installed the EGR slug. I tow/haul anything from 6500-10000 lbs. Heck it's not even an issue until the hill starts getting 6%+ and long. I'm seriously considering just putting the valve back in and running my 50 hp tow tune. The valve must pass just enough exhaust gas (at high boost levels)to cool the EGTs but not hurt hp too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.